Help!! Bleached Birds Nest!!

Plandauesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My birds nest colony that was doing amazing for two years has suddenly completely bleached white. Will it ever come back or should I just pull it out and throw it away? Anything I can do here?

IMG_1930.jpg

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Did this happen overnight? Any other details we may be missing? With growth of that size I’m inclined to think you have reef keeping skills and did all you could to save it. Bummer man, looks like it was a beauty

OP
OP
P

Plandauesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has happened over about a week. I am mad at myself, maybe I should have fragged it. :(

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on whether it is bleached or dead - they are not the same thing.

OP
OP
P

Plandauesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this happen overnight? Any other details we may be missing? With growth of that size I’m inclined to think you have reef keeping skills and did all you could to save it. Bummer man, looks like it was a beauty
Will it grow back?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I had the same after changing light and settings.
Too much light, inadequate water flow and nutrients will cause this as well as high alk , low ph and low salinity. I would check all mentioned

OP
OP
P

Plandauesq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same after changing light and settings.
Too much light, inadequate water flow and nutrients will cause this as well as high alk , low ph and low salinity. I would check all mentioned

I just got a new pump, so now there’s more flow than before. Could too much flow cause this?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just got a new pump, so now there’s more flow than before. Could too much flow cause this?
Absolutely. Moderate flow is favorable

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleached means that the polyps are still present, but they have expelled the zooanthelle. Bleached can recover if the conditions that caused the loss of the zooanthelle are corrected. In most cases bleached is used synonymously and incorrectly with dead. Bare skeleton with no remaining tissue is dead.

As to what caused colony death (more likely that than just bleached), hard to say. I’ve had large colonies do well for years and then suddenly go RTN and die. Fragging generally doesn’t help. Some kind of infection perhaps, or just heightened stress levels that just got to be too much and the colony died. Unless you had changed something recently, it unlikely to be light, flow, etc. I would check water chemistry, could be something like fluctuating alk levels that added to stresses. You want to avoid strong constant flow; otherwise variable strong flow is fine.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back