HELP: Bloated purple tang, swimming sideways/upside-down

SpunCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I've had this purple tang for 6 months. Happy, healthy, until now.
Yesterday they started swimming sideways, with a bloated stomach.

I've moved to a quarantine tank and did a 5 minute freshwater dip today. The dip seemed to provide relief and their breathing slowed down.

This video is now back in the saltwater QT. I've dosed maracyn two, starting today.

Any suggestions/advice?

Attachments

• 20230410_112533.mp4
    66.9 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey everyone,

I've had this purple tang for 6 months. Happy, healthy, until now.
Yesterday they started swimming sideways, with a bloated stomach.

I've moved to a quarantine tank and did a 5 minute freshwater dip today. The dip seemed to provide relief and their breathing slowed down.

This video is now back in the saltwater QT. I've dosed maracyn two, starting today.

Any suggestions/advice?
Sorry for delay. Not good as you know. Fish seems to have infected rectal area such as prolapse and may also have indigestion but is in high distress and often treatment requires a given fish to be eating. What is has is known as edema and is a condition and not a disease in which this fish cannot maintain its bodily fluids with the water its swimming in and often caused by either liver, digestive or kidney failure. With the fish displaying elevated breathing , this has compromised the tangs' entire body.
There is no treatment I can recommend especially with the fish likely not eating.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 34 41.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 41 49.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back