Help blonde naso tang is dying

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked up on him and he died
Sorry to hear. I can't tell you why the fish was moribund like that - usually, that is combined with rapid breathing and you said it wasn't breathing fast. It did have what looks like ich spots, but there were not enough of them to have been the cause of death in this case. The larger white spots are stress spots that Naso show.

Are the remaining fish eating well and free of spots?

jay

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 clowns and blue eyed kole are eating alot and the clowns don't have any white spots on them but the kole tang has a few

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 clowns and blue eyed kole are eating alot and they don't have any white spots on them
I know that the big spots are stress but he also had like 20 tiny white spots that look like salt on him

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. I can't tell you why the fish was moribund like that - usually, that is combined with rapid breathing and you said it wasn't breathing fast. It did have what looks like ich spots, but there were not enough of them to have been the cause of death in this case. The larger white spots are stress spots that Naso show.

Are the remaining fish eating well and free of spots?

jay
I checked again The kole tang does have a few white spots on him

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked again The kole tang does have a few white spots on him

Ugh - you may be battling a tank-wide case of ich then. The only real solution would be to move the fish to a treatment tank and either dose with copper, or hyposalinity.

Jay

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I take out my shrimp and snail am I able to dose my main tank with the copper medicine

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I take out my shrimp and snail am I able to dose my main tank with the copper medicine
That is tough to do - all of your calcium based rock and sand is going to slowly absorb the copper. If you use coppersafe or copper power, and test and redose daily, you can make it work. However, the copper gets bound up in the rock and can get released later on if your tank ever has a pH drop, possibly harming any invertebrates.

If you pull all invertebrates from the tank, I would suggest you look into hyposalinity - dropping the specific gravity of the tank to 1.009 over three days and then holding it at that level for 30 days. Then gradually raise the salinity back up over five days.

Jay

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is tough to do - all of your calcium based rock and sand is going to slowly absorb the copper. If you use coppersafe or copper power, and test and redose daily, you can make it work. However, the copper gets bound up in the rock and can get released later on if your tank ever has a pH drop, possibly harming any invertebrates.

If you pull all invertebrates from the tank, I would suggest you look into hyposalinity - dropping the specific gravity of the tank to 1.009 over three days and then holding it at that level for 30 days. Then gradually raise the salinity back up over five days.

Jay
Will hypo salinity guarantee to cure the ich in my tank and will the fish be fine. Also I keep it at1.009 for 1 month and a half?also if I do put them in a separate tank and treat them how long would I have to wait until I could put them back in my main

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have

Jay
I have api super ich cure so could I add the api super ich cure while I do the hyposalinity to ensure the ich is gotten ridden of

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have

I have api super ich cure so could I add the api super ich cure while I do the hyposalinity to ensure the ich is gotten ridden of
That API ich product , no good. Coppersafe will be your best bet as Jay H mentioned in a seperate QT tank. I realize the consideration of show tank but be rest assured , it will be a FISH ONLY tank if you add any copper to it.
You dont want to short cut disease and always add oxygen when treating any condition with medication.

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That API ich product , no good. Coppersafe will be your best bet as Jay H mentioned in a seperate QT tank. I realize the consideration of show tank but be rest assured , it will be a FISH ONLY tank if you add any copper to it.
You dont want to short cut disease and always add oxygen when treating any condition with medication.
I took out my shrimp and snail put the ap ich cure in the tank so it can atleast help fight ich while I wait for the coppersafe I ordered to arrive. I also have an air pump which I had in my tank so it always has more oxygen

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took out my shrimp and snail put the ap ich cure in the tank so it can atleast help fight ich while I wait for the coppersafe I ordered to arrive. I also have an air pump which I had in my tank so it always has more oxygen
One more thing should I also do hyposalinity while I add the coppersafe to ensure ich I gone. And will hyposalinity harm my fish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing should I also do hyposalinity while I add the coppersafe to ensure ich I gone. And will hyposalinity harm my fish?
You should pick one treatment or another, not two at once. You see, ich treatments kill the parasite, but in doing so, they also stress the fish. Doubling up on medications only increases the stress on the fish, as the ich parasite is only killed during its tomite/theront stage, so you cannot cure it any faster than its life cycle allows.

As said - API Super Ich Cure is really formulated for freshwater ich (a different species). It has a really poor track record with marine fish, and can cause toxic reactions if dosed too many days.

Jay

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That API Ich Cure is just Malachite green and nitrofurazone. There is no reason to think that will help to cure marine ich.

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should pick one treatment or another, not two at once. You see, ich treatments kill the parasite, but in doing so, they also stress the fish. Doubling up on medications only increases the stress on the fish, as the ich parasite is only killed during its tomite/theront stage, so you cannot cure it any faster than its life cycle allows.

As said - API Super Ich Cure is really formulated for freshwater ich (a different species). It has a really poor track record with marine fish, and can cause toxic reactions if dosed too many days.

Jay
I might do hyposalinity but ordered coppersafe for my tank. But which method is more effective. And with whichever one I do do I do it for a month to be safe

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might do hyposalinity but ordered coppersafe for my tank. But which method is more effective. And with whichever one I do do I do it for a month to be safe
I prefer coppersafe, but hyposalinity has the added benefit of also controlling many species of flukes.

Jay

OP
OP
B

big man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer coppersafe, but hyposalinity has the added benefit of also controlling many species of flukes.

Jay
I added coppersafe to my tank which it last for a month and I didn't notice any white spots on my kole any more but I know that I haven't gotten rid of ich. But how long will it take for the ich to be killed for good. Like 2 weeks - 1 month and when could I add more fish to my tank?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added coppersafe to my tank which it last for a month and I didn't notice any white spots on my kole any more but I know that I haven't gotten rid of ich. But how long will it take for the ich to be killed for good. Like 2 weeks - 1 month and when could I add more fish to my tank?
Running a copper treatment without a good copper test kit (not the API kit) is very tricky. You need to dose based on the tank's actual volume, subtracting tank decoration displacement, etc. Also, if there is any calcium based sand or rock in the tank, that will absorb copper at an unknown rate, and you will need a copper test kit in order to calculate the redosing of the tank to balance that out.

In a pinch, you can do water changes on the treatment tank, dosing the exact amount of copper needed for the volume of water that you just changed.

The fish should be in the coppersafe treatment for one month.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back