OP
FirstTry2017

FirstTry2017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you not tried a sea hare? Not sure if they'll eat that kind but worth a shot. They did wonders for my tank.
We have not, we read that once they eat all the algae they will die as they will no longer have a source of food.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If your sump is small, you really don’t need to spend an arm and a leg on a kessil, etc...
One or two of these will work really well!
78C41E40-8D4E-472A-8D0A-46F27DC56231.jpeg

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see folks advocating NOPOX on here. I guess that could work. I would ask how often you do water changes? How often and how much do you feed? It is not uncommon to have readings that low when you have algae. Are you using RODI for water changes? I would argue that using nopox will put a bandaid on the problem and it will most likely never cure it until you cure what is actually causing the problem.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Do you happen to have a link? Or can you recommend a light?
Here is the video. I know it is on R2R somewhere with a discussion but I couldn't find it.

I went overkill with my fuge light but there are more reasonably priced options.

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a professional here so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in but I think you probably have nitrates and phos and are just getting a false test. With that hair algae you almost have to have some type of nitrates and phosphates in your system.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify a bit on this. The video helps show how algae reduce Nitrates and Phosphates. The one thing it doesn't address is that algae growing in the DT will compete with the chaeto unless you have a quality light on the fuge. So, just because a $5 light will grow chaeto it doesn't make a good fuge light imo. Really, the higher quality light on your DT, the higher quality light you will need on your fuge.

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you that nopox has worked well for me. Read about it. There are a lot of people who use it and swear by it.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a professional here so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in but I think you probably have nitrates and phos and are just getting a false test. With that hair algae you almost have to have some type of nitrates and phosphates in your system.
I said the same above. This person is probably getting low readings because the algae is consuming it. Strike that, it is thriving off of it.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you that nopox has worked well for me. Read about it. There are a lot of people who use it and swear by it.
You can get much of the same affect by dosing a cheap bottle of vodka or vinegar. Carbon dosing is a very common method of reducing nutrients. It just isn't necessarily the best if you are trying to grow macro algae in a fuge.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just use water changes on a regular schedule? I had a huge bioload in a 10g for a long time, eventually the water changes were just not enough and I started to grow brown hair algae. I had to feed a lot to keep the corals and fish healthy. I tried NOPOX and lights out and it did not work. Why? Probably because I could not get to the root of the problem, too much food and waste for the water. Even with water changes. I have a 30g now and have absolutely zero issues. I feed lightly, ensure all food is consumed and I change 10% of the water every Sunday at the same time 2pm. Consistency is what is needed. I am willing to bet that there is some over feeding going on.

OP
OP
FirstTry2017

FirstTry2017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just use water changes on a regular schedule? I had a huge bioload in a 10g for a long time, eventually the water changes were just not enough and I started to grow brown hair algae. I had to feed a lot to keep the corals and fish healthy. I tried NOPOX and lights out and it did not work. Why? Probably because I could not get to the root of the problem, too much food and waste for the water. Even with water changes. I have a 30g now and have absolutely zero issues. I feed lightly, ensure all food is consumed and I change 10% of the water every Sunday at the same time 2pm. Consistency is what is needed. I am willing to bet that there is some over feeding going on.
Our daily feeding adds up to a half of a cube of mysis shrimp per week...is this to much??

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our daily feeding adds up to a half of a cube of mysis shrimp per week...is this to much??
I guess it depends on the size of the cube lol. In all seriousness, no. I feed much more than that in my 30g mixed reef. Is it being consumed completely? Before you do your water change are you using a turkey baster to blow the detritus and other stuff of your rocks and then siphoning it as much as possible?

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We have not, we read that once they eat all the algae they will die as they will no longer have a source of food.
All the info that others are giving you are great too. I've been down this path and even much worse that what you have.

Trim the bulk by hand (don't get picky here) then,
25% water change,
change socks or media
add 2 Sea hares
Once majority is gone, return one Sea Hare to LFS.

Allow the last one to graze and if/when it starts to shrink in size, thats' your indicator that there's not enough algae. Return to LFS so it can mow down someone else's reef.

Weekly 15% water changes help me too I think (back down to 10% now).

These guys are the ultimate in algae eating from my experience

Monti34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing is there is no real quick fix. Everything is competing for nutrients bacteria, algae, corals everything. Everything needs balance. I'm sure your display lights will do better then any light over your sump. So nopox boosted my bacteria population so that stole food from alge, then I physically removed hair algae, then problem is still there so I do a black out.

Get what I'm saying it is a process get to know your system have patience try what people have said cautious RESEARCH first and keep doing that none of our man made eco systems will be the same so do what you can try not to get frustrated and be patient.

Sorry for the rant I actually enjoy my struggles AFTERWARDS any ways.

Dr. Jeffles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe set up some gfo in a reactor and start the algae of phosphates, that really helped my outbreak clear up about a week ago... a relatively cheap fix

OP
OP
FirstTry2017

FirstTry2017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: We upgraded our light in the fuge per Brew12 suggestion and as of today we have almost no algae and the Chaeto is growing like crazy and is a much deeper green. Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions!!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: We upgraded our light in the fuge per Brew12 suggestion and as of today we have almost no algae and the Chaeto is growing like crazy and is a much deeper green. Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions!!
I'm glad it worked for you!

Isn't it nice to have the algae situation solved with no chemical solutions? I'm loving my high powered fuge light!

OP
OP
FirstTry2017

FirstTry2017

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad it worked for you!

Isn't it nice to have the algae situation solved with no chemical solutions? I'm loving my high powered fuge light!
Its been awesome to have that stuff gone! We actually bought some lighting from a local hydroponic store and red, blue, and white bulbs.

Back