Help catching pistol shrimp/goby pair

Tigweldpro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reposting this question here to see if I can get some help with this.
original post https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...-tank-build-lots-of-pics.336420/#post-4192132

Edit: the 2 green spotted mandarin fish are using the trap as a feeding station now. (embarrassing)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure if I should be asking questions in my tank journal or if I should just stick to documenting and sharing here...

Having a hard time trapping the pistol shrimp any ideas on what the best bait would be, so far only tried mysis and ive caught the female mandarin 3 times.....
idcXgI0l.jpg

The two I'm after are.....
cpgmoo9l.jpg

If I have to go in and take out rock to catch the shrimp I may be acclimating him to a pot of butter instead! he has doubled in size since I got him and is now over 2" long. His shots sound like glass cracking ;Nailbiting. But I got another YWG today and will add him to the new tank first for observation before adding other fish.

Any ideas on how to catch the pistol slinging invert would be helpful.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to catch the goby first IME. I had a yashe/pistol pair in the past. When I was moving tanks I caught the fish first because he serves as her eyes. Then I put some food on a stick and lured the shrimp out. You can use a paint stick to block its retreat into the burrow and then net it.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 30.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 27.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 44 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back