Help catching pistol shrimp/goby pair

Tigweldpro

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 11, 2017
Messages
99
Reaction score
109
Location
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am reposting this question here to see if I can get some help with this.
original post https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...-tank-build-lots-of-pics.336420/#post-4192132

Edit: the 2 green spotted mandarin fish are using the trap as a feeding station now. (embarrassing)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure if I should be asking questions in my tank journal or if I should just stick to documenting and sharing here...

Having a hard time trapping the pistol shrimp any ideas on what the best bait would be, so far only tried mysis and ive caught the female mandarin 3 times.....
idcXgI0l.jpg


The two I'm after are.....
cpgmoo9l.jpg

If I have to go in and take out rock to catch the shrimp I may be acclimating him to a pot of butter instead! he has doubled in size since I got him and is now over 2" long. His shots sound like glass cracking ;Nailbiting. But I got another YWG today and will add him to the new tank first for observation before adding other fish.

Any ideas on how to catch the pistol slinging invert would be helpful.
 
You have to catch the goby first IME. I had a yashe/pistol pair in the past. When I was moving tanks I caught the fish first because he serves as her eyes. Then I put some food on a stick and lured the shrimp out. You can use a paint stick to block its retreat into the burrow and then net it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new