Help Choosing Salt Brand?

faketaxi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am torn between Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt and the Red Sea Salt blue one with 8dkh
Right now my parameters are:
Alk: 8.3
Cal: 453
Mg: 1300
Does anybody have any experience with either salt and which one to choose?

Amber.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am torn between Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt and the Red Sea Salt blue one with 8dkh
I’ve always heard that it’s the one you can afford.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
I run red sea blue bucket.
Pick one close to the big 3 numbers you run. That said, any salt you use will work if you know what you are doing.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Red Sea blue for quite a while and was completely happy with it other than price.
I switched to Fritz RPM (regular) which I get much cheaper and am just as happy with it.
*some posts on here hate it, but I like it,,, and it's only slightly more than budget regular Instant Ocean for me (which I also used and was fine but didn't like the parameters as much)

OP
OP
faketaxi

faketaxi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Red Sea blue for quite a while and was completely happy with it other than price.
I switched to Fritz RPM (regular) which I get much cheaper and am just as happy with it.
*some posts on here hate it, but I like it,,, and it's only slightly more than budget regular Instant Ocean for me (which I also used and was fine but didn't like the parameters as much)
Thank you! I'll probably end up going with Fritz RPM because that's the same stuff I dose with and the numbers are pretty close to what my tank is running now. Plus it is cheaper for more gallons :star-struck: Thank you!

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I'll probably end up going with Fritz RPM because that's the same stuff I dose with and the numbers are pretty close to what my tank is running now. Plus it is cheaper for more gallons :star-struck: Thank you!
Good luck -- I started buying it because the parameters are in-line with what I run and my local PetSmart had an AWESOME deal going for many months but then suddenly tripled in price.

I shop around when I need more but, lately, been buying from SaltwaterAquarium website (with free shipping) although, right this second, looks a bit more than the last couple of boxes I bought. (((Personally, I like the 4x individual bags in the 200 gallon box over single, giant bag for same amount of salt, for just a couple of $$$ more)))
*AquaForest Reef Salt has similar parameters but I've never tried it, just in case you happen to run across a deal on that.

Lastly, Fritz website has a form where you can enter your LOT# and get their QA report for that specific batch in case you ever test a new mix and want to compare with what is claimed for that batch of salt. (Pretty sure most companies likely have that)

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems the go to here is Instant Ocean. I use Fritz RPM because it is the only salt my LFS carries. My LFS is awesome so I try to buy everything I can from them even if it costs a little bit more. I don’t want them going anywhere. I’m happy with the salt but if they weren’t in business I would probably go with a less expensive salt that everyone seems to be happy with.

OPL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, salt brand used is based on a combination of budget and where you want to keep your parameters.

I have used always used Tropic Marin Pro and never had any issues with it. I know multiple reefers who have had very good success with different salt brands, including some of the brands already stated in this thread.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back