Help Choosing UV Sterilizer Size

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! So, I got ich in my system once again after trying to go the full quarantine route. Did not work out, got sold a fish carrying ich and I worked it out with the vendor. Which leads me back to ich management road once again. I lost 3 fish now due to ich, and am looking into going UV sterilizer route for extra insurance. I will also be feeding a bit heavier with LRS food, white worms, and adding Selcon or Vita-chem into the mix.

Now onto tank sizing. The tank water volume is around 120-140 from what it looks like. These are the two options I have at the moment, but would like your insight for other options. I understand two great brands would be Pentair and Aqua UV and I will be getting the recommended GPH flow rate for 90,000 µw/cm2 for the final choice sterilizer.

UV OPTIONS

AQUA UV 57 WATT

AQUA UV 40 WATT

THANKS!

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger the better when it comes to UV, id get the biggest unit your budget and space allows for. The larger units also have more contact time with the bulb which is important if your trying to control things like ich.

That being said, they are much more effective as a means of controlling algae and bacteria issues as opposed to parasites. If Ich is already present in the system its not likely to eliminate it.

I have a Lifegard Promax 55w and love it.
1869135-5f0da67b489f0c56bd3b0ef27297fde5.jpg

OP
OP
Dan I

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bigger the better when it comes to UV, id get the biggest unit your budget and space allows for. The larger units also have more contact time with the bulb which is important if your trying to control things like ich.

That being said, they are much more effective as a means of controlling algae and bacteria issues as opposed to parasites. If Ich is already present in the system its not likely to eliminate it.

I have a Lifegard Promax 55w and love it.
1869135-5f0da67b489f0c56bd3b0ef27297fde5.jpg
Cool, what is your tank size?

From what I've read I understand that they are great for bacteria and algae control. However, they help control the numbers of the free swimming stage. Trying to minimize the damage of an ich breakout for the future.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it on a 74g tower with a 20g sump below. Yeah it will contribute to keeping parasite levels down, just wont eliminate them. Its definitely worth it just for the Algae/Bac benefits though. This tank is about 3mos old now and has never had an ugly cycle or bac bloom, I contribute it largely to the UV...

OP
OP
Dan I

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I'm just trying to manage the ich. So, I'm guessing looking around the higher than 54 watt. I have seen others with my tank volume size with the 54 or 40 watt but not much about how successful they are with this watt size uv.

Back