HELP CLOWN DOWN

Mking36523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought 2 maroon clowns friday and introduced them into a tank friday night. I came home from shopping to my clown being severely beaten up. Alot of fine damaged and cant swim. I separated the tank and had to turn off the filtration due to the fact he was getting blown against the eggxmcrate I separated it with. He is now currently just laying on the sand and trying to move but cant. Any help will greatly be appreciated.. spent a good amount of money on these 2 maroon clowns and dont want one to die. Attached is both clowns. One that is injured is maroon and yellow and the one beating up is maroon and white. I just put him in the met inside the water because the snails were covering him also.

20190915_184855.jpg 20190915_183613.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you can do is put the fish in an acclimation box or something. Maroon clowns are soooo NASTY! If the fish makes a recovery I would re-home it as history will likely just repeat itself.

OP
OP
Mking36523

Mking36523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have him in a net on his own side of tank so nothing can hurt him anymore.. but kinda sucks I was hoping they would be good together

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What else is in the tank besides the two maroon clowns?

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, man I’m so sorry to read this.

Indeed, LFS are out to make sales. Is there any guarantee from them? I’m not sure if they would honor it what with one of them attacking the other, but maybe it’s worth a try. Won’t bring the little guy back but perhaps you’ll get a little spending money back and able to get something else.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea my legs never said anything to me about it when he got them for me.

I am truly sorry to hear about your fish. Part of the mystery, magic, and frustration of clowns is how they are wired for dominance. It is amazing how this affects what sex they become - unfortunately the aggression can also have unfortunate results at times and Maroons and Tomatoes can be some of the most aggressive.

OP
OP
Mking36523

Mking36523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry to hear this.

By themselves in the tank, there will be some aggression between the two as then establish which will be the alpha of the pair. But a fight to the death... wow.
Now I have a main display they were in a frag tank. I have 4 damsels a tomini tang a butterfly fish 2 perculass clowns that is smaller then the marron thatis left can I put him in there or will he kill the other ones too

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now I have a main display they were in a frag tank. I have 4 damsels a tomini tang a butterfly fish 2 perculass clowns that is smaller then the marron thatis left can I put him in there or will he kill the other ones too

What size is your DT?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
90 gallon main 55 gallon frag plumbed into a 40 gallon sump

Nice system! It could work but personally I probably wouldn’t take the risk.

OP
OP
Mking36523

Mking36523

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks on the system I've spent to much money so I went to dyi ways and made the sump and joined them. I have separated the frag tank with eggcrate and wanted a puffer so I think I'm going to leave the marron by himself and add a puffer fish to it so he wont eat my corals or crustations.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can learn so much through DIY projects. Remember that re-homing the maroon may be an option. Will your LFS let you trade it back in toward a puffer?

Back