Help, clownfish harem

  • Thread starter Thread starter AJ192
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

AJ192

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 26, 2020
Messages
256
Reaction score
220
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’m currently setting up a clownfish harem in a 150 gallon dt with a 75 gallon sump. I am fine nutrient wise cause I have a proper sized protein skimmer, running filter socks, a 40 gallon refugium, and I am also running carbon. To reduce aggression I am packing it similar to a cichlid tank, running an auto feeder 3 times per day and frozen food at night and I’m getting them all from the same clutch (any other suggestions for aggression reduction are appreciated). I do have a few questions though.

Anemone related:
Does anyone have a good ai prime 16hd lighting schedule for btas you are willing to share? Should I add btas before or after adding the clowns?

Clown selection related:
I am currently trying to decide on clownfish species. I am currently trying to decide between cinnamon clowns and ocellaris clowns. What do you think? I know the obvious choice is ocellaris cause there are a lot more successful examples. But, I love the look of cinnamons and they are the reason I entered the hobby. Do you think they would work, why or why not?
 
I doubt a cinnamon harem would work well given their aggressive nature. I would stick with ocellaris and percula. If you need breeder selections I can help as well.

Check out the lighting schedules at WWC.

Be careful feeding so much and creating a lot of excess nutrients since this is a specific tank. Might throw parameters off and make anemones unhappy. I would start with 2 feedings and up it if you feel the need to.
 
I doubt a cinnamon harem would work well given their aggressive nature. I would stick with ocellaris and percula. If you need breeder selections I can help as well.

Check out the lighting schedules at WWC.

Be careful feeding so much and creating a lot of excess nutrients since this is a specific tank. Might throw parameters off and make anemones unhappy. I would start with 2 feedings and up it if you feel the need to.
Thanks for the input I was worried that it wouldn’t work. Breeder input would be great. I’ll check out wwc for lighting schedules tonight. I know the feeding seems like a lot but the meals are much smaller than normal. A lot of people I have seen with successful harems have used increased feedings as a way of aggression reduction. Since the clowns realize there’s enough food to go around and they don’t need to fight over it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 10.5%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 15.8%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 9 47.4%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new