Help. Clownfish resting on rock

kronex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

I got two clownfish about a month ago. The smaller one started resting on a rock like this during the day.

He will occasionally change position to a new area of the rock. He will also move when it's time to eat. Is this normal clown behavior or is he possibly sick?

The other larger clown seems fine.

O ammonia 0 nitrite 10 nitrates Salinity 1.025 less

I have attached a movie. Not sure if his breathing is okay

Attachments

• IMG_1867.mov
    13.6 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately cannot see the mp4 - can you post to YouTube.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could you possibly post a YouTube video. and post it here?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its ask the usual questions - was the fish QT'd - if not - what happened between receipt and display tank introduction?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone

I got two clownfish about a month ago. The smaller one started resting on a rock like this during the day.

He will occasionally change position to a new area of the rock. He will also move when it's time to eat. Is this normal clown behavior or is he possibly sick?

The other larger clown seems fine.

O ammonia 0 nitrite 10 nitrates Salinity 1.025 less

I have attached a movie. Not sure if his breathing is okay
Clown is breathing heavily and I cant tell much other from video as the video focuses on its face and not body. Please post another.
When did this listlessness begin?
Has it stopped eating?

OP
OP
K

kronex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its ask the usual questions - was the fish QT'd - if not - what happened between receipt and display tank introduction?
Fish was not qt’d. Him and the larger clownfish were added at the same time. He is still eating but the larger clown is aggressive at feeding time.’

OP
OP
K

kronex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clown is breathing heavily and I cant tell much other from video as the video focuses on its face and not body. Please post another.
When did this listlessness begin?
Has it stopped eatin
Here is a pic of his body. I’m not seeing anything stuck out He is eating but seems like he lives to wedge himself into areas of the rock to avoid flow and moving IMG_1871.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1873.mov
    1.5 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish was not qt’d. Him and the larger clownfish were added at the same time. He is still eating but the larger clown is aggressive at feeding time.’

Yes, the clown is breathing deep/fast.

Does the smaller clown have any missing scales or damaged fins?

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi jay

Nothing I can notice. The larger one is aggressive towards him. Here is a better side view video.

I don't see any damage, the fish is acting like it is hosting there. If it wasn't for the rapid breathing, I wouldn't be worried about it.

Do the two fish spend any time close together?

Jay

OP
OP
K

kronex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any damage, the fish is acting like it is hosting there. If it wasn't for the rapid breathing, I wouldn't be worried about it.

Do the two fish spend any time close together?

Jay
They did at first but now the little one hides in the rock. They will come together when I feed. I started feeding the small one directly with a pipette as the larger one wouldn’t let him eat much. Is it possible he is hosting the rock? He seems to be moving to a few spots with no flow and just resting Against the rock. I agree as I wasn’t too worried until I noticed the breathing

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did at first but now the little one hides in the rock. They will come together when I feed. I started feeding the small one directly with a pipette as the larger one wouldn’t let him eat much. Is it possible he is hosting the rock? He seems to be moving to a few spots with no flow and just resting Against the rock. I agree as I wasn’t too worried until I noticed the breathing
Yes, the breathing is an issue, but it is a symptom, not something specifically treatable. If both fish were breathing fast, then it would point to either a water quality or contagious disease issue. With just the one breathing fast, it is either a non-contagious disease or being picked on (which I think we’ve ruled out).

Jay

OP
OP
K

kronex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the breathing is an issue, but it is a symptom, not something specifically treatable. If both fish were breathing fast, then it would point to either a water quality or contagious disease issue. With just the one breathing fast, it is either a non-contagious disease or being picked on (which I think we’ve ruled out).

Jay
Thanks, so just monitor him to see if any other symptoms appear? Nothing else I can really do at this point?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, so just monitor him to see if any other symptoms appear? Nothing else I can really do at this point?

Well, you could go all in and try to treat the rapid breathing, but that is a shot in the dark since we don't have a good idea as to what is causing that. For sure if it goes off feed, let us know ASAP as then you will need to treat it with something - even if it is just a guess.

Jay

OP
OP
K

kronex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you could go all in and try to treat the rapid breathing, but that is a shot in the dark since we don't have a good idea as to what is causing that. For sure if it goes off feed, let us know ASAP as then you will need to treat it with something - even if it is just a guess.

Jay
Thanks Jay,

Will do. He is still eating this morning. He’s moved around to a few different spots in the rock. Do you think a freshwater dip would help or might be premature? Don’t want to stress him out more if not needed.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay,

Will do. He is still eating this morning. He’s moved around to a few different spots in the rock. Do you think a freshwater dip would help or might be premature? Don’t want to stress him out more if not needed.

FW dips are stressful and won't cure the fish if it has flukes. The dip will provide some temporary relief, so if you see it get better a few days after the dip, you can pretty much figure it has flukes and you could then do a full treatment.

Jay

OP
OP
K

kronex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FW dips are stressful and won't cure the fish if it has flukes. The dip will provide some temporary relief, so if you see it get better a few days after the dip, you can pretty much figure it has flukes and you could then do a full treatment.

Jay
He’s now tucking himself into this area of the rock. Not sure if he is doing this to avoid the larger clown. Noticed some white stringy poop in the video below. Not sure if I should let him be or take action at this point.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not much to add - to me it looks like he is stressed out/hiding. Can you set up a camera so you can watch what's happening when you're not standing there?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back