help considering tearing my tank down and starting over due to bubble algae!!

bobble28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i bought a pretty good size order of frags after them being in the tank about a month bubble algae started popping up on the plugs, so i plucked it off a week later its back with twice as much, now its to the point that all my rocks are getting clusters of ba...i do 20-25% wc every 2wks run gfo and carbon in a reactor also a uv sterilizer...been told to take my rock out scrub it and dip in peroxide and seriously contemplating doing this but not sure if this will send my tank into cycle again any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try Emerald Crabs. It's a toss up, but they did the job for me.

OP
OP
bobble28

bobble28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard its a toss up with emerald crabs and would rather not add them i"ve had bad luck with emeralds trying to eat mini maxi, polyps and fish in my pico.

OP
OP
bobble28

bobble28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read them and the red sea sailfin will eat it but iffy considered trying the red sea sailfin...wondering if I do pull the rock and scrub in peroxide will it cause a cycle when I put it back in the tank I have various lps zoas and fish, most everything is easily removable so that's not a big issue.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Peroxide will kill the bacteria on the rock. What I do is siphon it out during water changes. Been doing it for months and I'm finally beating it! Just have to be tenacious with the stuff.
Personally I wouldn't scrub the rock. Spoors may imbed themselves back into the rock. Key is to remove the bubbles without breaking them. This is why I siphon at the same time removing them.

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back