Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d770a8da13a3f32fa73e580da445e40b.jpg

PRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Browning usually means not enough light or wrong spectrum, what are you using for lighting, how much par is that coral getting?

OP
OP
E

eyrsh_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Browning usually means not enough light or wrong spectrum, what are you using for lighting, how much par is that coral getting?

I’m using 2 Hydra 26 lights for my 75 gallon. Parameters set by the store. All my other corals...Bam Bam, leathers, Dragon Eye look great. This dude is mid tank moderate flow. Here is the light schedule...

SilverCityReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard browning is usually a sign of not enough light. bleaching is a sign of too much, and have experienced this first hand with some Acros & Montipora. I have 2 Hydra 26HD's over my 40B set to 65% of the BRS AB+ spectrum with favia/favites mid tank with moderate flow and they have been happy and growing. They were happy and growing when I had lights at 45-50% of the same spectrum as well. Your settings arent showing up but maybe you can compare your numbers. I'm no expert though and have been in hobby for less than a year, just my experience

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cyano batman. What are your no3 and po4 levels? How long has your tank been set up?

OP
OP
E

eyrsh_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cyano batman. What are your no3 and po4 levels? How long has your tank been set up?

Lol right!! About 3 months now. I’m still new to this and thought I was just goi g through Diatom phase but this is new...

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol right!! About 3 months now. I’m still new to this and thought I was just goi g through Diatom phase but this is new...
You're going to encounter 'uglies' like cyano for the first year/year and a half at least. Need to start testing for the big 3 (alk/cal/mag) as well as nutrients (no3/po4) regularly (like at least once a week, more like every other day if possible). Then you can get an idea of what your tank uses/needs. Otherwise you're flying blind and will lose corals here and there or worse...

Ursala

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have got some new tank uglies my friend. Work on lowering you No3 and Po4 levels.

What kind of flow do you have. That might help some with the cyano and diatoms.

Maybe snag an emerald crab or two for you bubble algae too.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have got some new tank uglies my friend. Work on lowering you No3 and Po4 levels.

Lowering nutrients isn't always the answer with cyano. For me it was a LACK of no3... every system is different. For some it's just downright unavoidable and you just have to deal with it for a year or so... his tank is still VERY young.

OP
OP
E

eyrsh_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to encounter 'uglies' like cyano for the first year/year and a half at least. Need to start testing for the big 3 (alk/cal/mag) as well as nutrients (no3/po4) regularly (like at least once a week, more like every other day if possible). Then you can get an idea of what your tank uses/needs. Otherwise you're flying blind and will lose corals here and there or worse...

Man! I really appreciate the feedback like this. It’s been so frustrating lately. All my levels were great Friday when i went to test my water. Time to start doing my own for sure

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm almost a year in. After the initial ugly stages tank was looking great until a recent cyano bloom. Nothing crazy but enough on the rocks that bothers me. I have been dosing bacterial additives and manually removing and it is now nearly gone

OP
OP
E

eyrsh_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m thinking my one Neo 5 powerhead and return pump set to low isn’t cutting it??

Thanks for responding [emoji5]

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back