Help!!!! Corals are melted and feather duster is out of its tube!

FishOkay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please check your facts as nitrite is more deadly in most cases in a saltwater environment then ammonia is
That's not true, it's been heavily discussed that nitrite is less toxic to marine fish and even if it wasn't salt or fresh water, ammonia is more toxic. Anyway its a non issue ammonia and nitrite should be undetectable in a mature cycled tank.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only just over 1 year Into saltwater journey and not a chemist or conducted any tests to proce/ disprove if nitrite harmful in saltwater tanks,and always known cycling freshwater tanks that should wait till amnonia and nitrite are 0 as both toxic to fish in freshwater .
But after reading countless threads on r2r when cycling my first reef tank and reading an article by a chemist on this site,which states nitrite unless very very very high numbers isn't toxic whatsoever ,if remember correctly its something to do with the chloride in the salt and fish cant take it in or something like this.
Let me try find the article in question as memory little hazy and wouldn't want to state something wrong ^_^

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think this is article.

Will let the article speak for itself rather than give my understanding of it.

Fwiw when I cycled my first saltwater tank ,I waited till amnonia and nitrite reached 0,not because I believed nitrite be toxic to my fish ,as believed what randy was saying plus all the others in threads,just simple reason wanted to take it slow and let the full nitrogen cycle go through all the steps ( instead of just amnonia the 0) and to go on as long as possible,I waited 2 months before adding first fish after adding bottled bacteria and amnonian chloride.

Last edited:

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops didn't notice was 3 months ago .ha ha
But seeing as sometimes I go bottom of page and pick a thread that interests me and keep doing same after read a thread ,sometimes end up reading a thread from years ago so maybe others read the thread tommorrow/ next month or in few years so maybe the article may help someone decide whether they want to or if they believe nitrite is toxic for whatever reason that is and for however it may help them ^_^

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Again not correct or even close
Who says this chart is correct ?
Based on what type of water, based on reef or Mixed reef. Look at some of the industry pros recommendations and you will see the difference from this chart that is basing off natural sea water.
Are we using synthetic or natural sea water. Also what year was this chart published ?
Dont need your corrections after doing this 37+ years.

This is what I get based on parameters :

660g 3.30d.jpg
660g8.23.jpg
600g progress j.jpg

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what type of water, based on reef or Mixed reef. Look at some of the industry pros recommendations and you will see the difference from this chart that is basing off natural sea water.
Are we using synthetic or natural sea water. Also what year was this chart published ?

660g 3.30d.jpg
660g8.23.jpg
600g progress j.jpg

You're 100% right about this, but even after 37+ years there is always room to learn.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You're 100% right about this, but even after 37+ years there is always room to learn.
Wanna know what- Im still learning. Never a day when you hear or read something and tell yourself . . huh ?.
I attend many trade shows and seminars and for sure always learning something new. I acquired 16 pages of notes in 2021

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanna know what- Im still learning. Never a day when you hear or read something and tell yourself . . huh ?.
I attend many trade shows and seminars and for sure always learning something new. I acquired 16 pages of notes in 2021
Me too. Only 26 years in myself, but that's what's most amazing about this hobby. You use your brain every day.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can anyone produce an article about this or cite some information from a reputable source or is this a recess brawl?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

660g 3.30d.jpg
660g8.23.jpg
600g progress j.jpg
To small. Not enough corals or fish....

JK...

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think what you want and have fun killing your tank and then wondering why

Facts

The acceptable range of nitrate for reef tanks is 0.25 ppm, but not more than 5 ppm. 7 tipps to lower nitrate in reef tanks. Keep. Too high nitrate levels can promote algae growth and limit the coloration and growth of corals

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

660g 3.30d.jpg
660g8.23.jpg
600g progress j.jpg
Then don't put out miss information and you will not have to be corrected

1. Nitrate above 20 ppm can be harmful

2. Any nitrite at all is harmful

3. if you actually look at the chart is shows various environments compared to natural reef

4. Good luck but telling a newcomer any of what you said is only going to help them fail not succeed

5. Go reread what you wrote you might be mixing up nitrate and nitrite but I refer you to 1 and 2

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think what you want and have fun killing your tank and then wondering why

Facts

The acceptable range of nitrate for reef tanks is 0.25 ppm, but not more than 5 ppm. 7 tipps to lower nitrate in reef tanks. Keep. Too high nitrate levels can promote algae growth and limit the coloration and growth of corals

Wow really?

Are you really going to say anything above 5ppm nitrates is harmful?

I guess my thriving 80G SPS dominant system should be mostly dead with nitrates rock steady at roughly 25ppm, and been that way for quite a few years now.

And no many people much smarter then I have stated many times over that nitrite levels we see in SW tanks is of no concern.

Maybe we should get some of the SPS gurus on this forum to let you know that 10 to 20ppm nitrates is just about perfect.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back