Help deciding what to do with acans?

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe strange question here but I received a colony of acans when I put in tank the fish immediately inquired about it pecking at it so I put a kind of makeshift covering over it and was doing great nice and puffy and full of color. I decided to remove the covering and fish appear to be leaving it alone but it is no longer inflating. I have been watching and don’t see the fish picking at it or at least when I am around. I do fear my regal angelfish may develop a liking. The only other thing I suspect is it may be getting hit with more flow than it was use to. Question is how long should I give it before doing something? Moving? Cover again? Etc. definitely not parameters because it was doing great until I moved covering Thoughts?

Reverend Turtle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it a week or so to adjust. Unless it looks like a tremendous amount of extra water flow, then I'd move it now.
What did you use for the barrier? Did it reduce lighting as well as current? Acans can handle higher light, but they need to be slowly introduced to it.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned about a regal angelfish also. For every person who sucessfully keep them with coral it seems there is 5 stories of those who have issues with them eating coral (specifically LPS).

As far as what to do I would make sure to start him in a location with low/moderate light and moderate flow (error on the side of lower flow). If that is where it is now I would leave it be a few days and see how it goes. Otherwise would move him to that type of location and see how it does.

OP
OP
moz71

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it a week or so to adjust. Unless it looks like a tremendous amount of extra water flow, then I'd move it now.
What did you use for the barrier? Did it reduce lighting as well as current? Acans can handle higher light, but they need to be slowly introduced to it.
I basically cut the bottom off a plastic Tupperware container (pint size) so basically like a circular wall and then used and electric band to hold left over netting over top and placed over acans on sand. So it did basically limit flow but not light since surrounded by plastic but just bet on top. Hope that is clear. I can take a picture tomorrow.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back