Help diease identification

Dcferguson09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have had a small 13 gal saltwater tank a number of years ago never had any issues. Recently we decided to get another one we eneded up getting a 120gal Redsea set up. Live rock and sand let it run for a few weeks tested the water everything looked good went to our local store brought them water to test and they advised added in between 6 and 9 fish to start. We bought a green poucipine puffer, pair of clowns, Coral beauty, and a blue tang. The puffer and the female clown died within a few days and I thought I had ich. Because one of the fish at the store had ich and she gave me another fish instead. I saw small white dots on the one live clown fish and the two that died I treated my whole tank about a week ago and everyone has been doing great until today the coral beauty died and now the tang has white spots all over I gave a fresh water bath and am ready to treat the tank for ich again but I want to make sure that's what it is. I have attached a picture of her.

Also unrelated I cannot for the life of me get the sump to work right either the pump starts sucking air or the pipe that goes down from the display tank to tank below. I'm so discouraged at this point Idk what to do. Please any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

IMG_4887.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I'm so sorry for your troubles. It appears that you have gotten velvet in your tank with your new additions. I'm sorry to tell you that the LFS's advice was terrible. You shouldn't add that many fish to a new tank ever. Slow is always better and QT is a must nowadays. You'll need to remove your remaining fish for treatment in a QT with copper and leave the display fallow (fishless) for 76 days to be sure there are no more parasites lurking in there. Here is a link to an article with more detailed information and treatment procedures in the second post. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/

OP
OP
D

Dcferguson09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I'm so sorry for your troubles. It appears that you have gotten velvet in your tank with your new additions. I'm sorry to tell you that the LFS's advice was terrible. You shouldn't add that many fish to a new tank ever. Slow is always better and QT is a must nowadays. You'll need to remove your remaining fish for treatment in a QT with copper and leave the display fallow (fishless) for 76 days to be sure there are no more parasites lurking in there. Here is a link to an article with more detailed information and treatment procedures in the second post. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/
Thank you so much! I do just have two fish left the tang and a clown fish is it possible to leave them in the tank and treat the tank with copper?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! I do just have two fish left the tang and a clown fish is it possible to leave them in the tank and treat the tank with copper?

It's not idea. Copper will be absorbed by the rocks and sand making the levels very unstable which will not help the fish. Not to mention, getting all the copper back out can take a long time and a lot of trouble before you are able to add any inverts to the tank. A QT is much better for treating with copper... it takes less time, trouble and copper to get them treated. The longer you wait, the less chance to save the last two fish. There is no reef safe cure for velvet.

OP
OP
D

Dcferguson09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not idea. Copper will be absorbed by the rocks and sand making the levels very unstable which will not help the fish. Not to mention, getting all the copper back out can take a long time and a lot of trouble before you are able to add any inverts to the tank. A QT is much better for treating with copper... it takes less time, trouble and copper to get them treated. The longer you wait, the less chance to save the last two fish. There is no reef safe cure for velvet.
Okay makes sense I didn't think about it getting into the rocks. I have transferred them to a 10 gal QT and started copper in there with them. Is there anything special I can do or should for the tank? And again thank you so much!!!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all Mel has said. You need to act quickly.

Welcome to R2R by the way, you will love it here! Sorry about the circumstances, however.

OP
OP
D

Dcferguson09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all Mel has said. You need to act quickly.

Welcome to R2R by the way, you will love it here! Sorry about the circumstances, however.
I already have them in a QT with copper as we speak. And thank you, yes it's been a ruff start so far but hopefully it will get better.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.. seems like your experience is not starting out too good. But, there is hope. The advice you've gotten above is worth adhering to. May need to find a different fish store to get your livestock from. I try to stay with one that I trust. If ever i see fish with spots or looking out of sorts, just walk out of the store. Sorry for your troubles but all is not lost.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything special I can do or should for the tank? And again thank you so much!!!

You are very welcome. You don't need to do much for the display. Treat it like you normally would. You can feed a little to the inverts and corals if you have any once or twice a week to keep them happy. Watch for ammonia in the QT. You'll want to get an ammonia alert badge so that it will work with copper in the water. Most liquid test kits won't work well... they'll give false positives and negatives.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have had a small 13 gal saltwater tank a number of years ago never had any issues. Recently we decided to get another one we eneded up getting a 120gal Redsea set up. Live rock and sand let it run for a few weeks tested the water everything looked good went to our local store brought them water to test and they advised added in between 6 and 9 fish to start. We bought a green poucipine puffer, pair of clowns, Coral beauty, and a blue tang. The puffer and the female clown died within a few days and I thought I had ich. Because one of the fish at the store had ich and she gave me another fish instead. I saw small white dots on the one live clown fish and the two that died I treated my whole tank about a week ago and everyone has been doing great until today the coral beauty died and now the tang has white spots all over I gave a fresh water bath and am ready to treat the tank for ich again but I want to make sure that's what it is. I have attached a picture of her.

Also unrelated I cannot for the life of me get the sump to work right either the pump starts sucking air or the pipe that goes down from the display tank to tank below. I'm so discouraged at this point Idk what to do. Please any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

IMG_4887.JPG
You've gotten some great advice already as far as taking care of the fish. Can you post a picture of your sump so we can see what we might be able to help with to get that situation fixed?

OP
OP
D

Dcferguson09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.. seems like your experience is not starting out too good. But, there is hope. The advice you've gotten above is worth adhering to. May need to find a different fish store to get your livestock from. I try to stay with one that I trust. If ever i see fish with spots or looking out of sorts, just walk out of the store. Sorry for your troubles but all is not lost.
Yes I am definitely going to find another store. They used to be great and we got a lot advice from the owner sadly the owner is never there anymore and it seems the store has gone down hill. I will probably have to end up to L.A. Area if anyone has some good suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
D

Dcferguson09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4891.PNG
IMG_4888.JPG
You've gotten some great advice already as far as taking care of the fish. Can you post a picture of your sump so we can see what we might be able to help with to get that situation fixed?
Yes thank you everyone I am so happy I found this site! I have attached two pictures my pump is currently in the wrong place just to keep the water moving. And the illustration is flipped for my tank. But it is the same this I have the RedSea Reefer 450 supposed to be plug and play Well maybe for the more experienced.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4891.PNG
IMG_4888.JPG

Yes thank you everyone I am so happy I found this site! I have attached two pictures my pump is currently in the wrong place just to keep the water moving. And the illustration is flipped for my tank. But it is the same this I have the RedSea Reefer 450 supposed to be plug and play Well maybe for the more experienced.
I am wondering if just didn't have enough water in the sump when you tried to run it with the pump in the correct position. If the pump is sucking air then you may just need more water in your system. Have you set up the ATO system in the tank?

OP
OP
D

Dcferguson09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering if just didn't have enough water in the sump when you tried to run it with the pump in the correct position. If the pump is sucking air then you may just need more water in your system. Have you set up the ATO system in the tank?
I am assuming the ATO is the freshwater tank that replenishes water that evaporates. If so then yes I have set it up and the pump seems to run smooth but it seems it is just useing the fresh water? Unless that much water evaporates? I would say it goes through 2.5 gals in two to three days.

OP
OP
D

Dcferguson09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are very welcome. You don't need to do much for the display. Treat it like you normally would. You can feed a little to the inverts and corals if you have any once or twice a week to keep them happy. Watch for ammonia in the QT. You'll want to get an ammonia alert badge so that it will work with copper in the water. Most liquid test kits won't work well... they'll give false positives and negatives.
I do not have any corals. We do have one small crab that was there once we added water so I'm assuming he hitched a ride with the rock or sand. Also I did treat the tank with rid ich plus back when I thought it was a ich issue a little over a week ago and I have red alge all over. Any suggestions on what I should with it?

IMG_4798.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless that much water evaporates? I would say it goes through 2.5 gals in two to three days.

That can be very normal especially for a rimless tank with a lot of water movement. It does sound like you just need more water in the system and to keep the ATO filled up for it work properly.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have any corals. We do have one small crab that was there once we added water so I'm assuming he hitched a ride with the rock or sand. Also I did treat the tank with rid ich plus back when I thought it was a ich issue a little over a week ago and I have red alge all over. Any suggestions on what I should with it?

IMG_4798.JPG

There's not much you need to do for him. I'm sure he will get plenty of algae to eat since he's the only one.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming the ATO is the freshwater tank that replenishes water that evaporates. If so then yes I have set it up and the pump seems to run smooth but it seems it is just useing the fresh water? Unless that much water evaporates? I would say it goes through 2.5 gals in two to three days.
Yes, it is. The fresh water tank should automatically make up for evaporation. The only place you should ever have a level change in your system is in the small return section with the pump in it. As water evaporates, the level in this section drops until your make up system replaces it with fresh water.

OP
OP
D

Dcferguson09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That can be very normal especially for a rimless tank with a lot of water movement. It does sound like you just need more water in the system and to keep the ATO filled up for it work properly.
Okay awesome I was thinking it was taking in the extra water to keep up with the pump. I do have a few more questions and appreciate everyone's help so far!!
1) my pump has different speeds as well a wave making mode. I have it on steady flow but should I have the speed up, down, in the middle? I heard somewhere that higher speed is best not sure of that is accurate.
2) should I add anything to the sump? Like charcoal, bio ball, protein skimmer ect? And if so what would you guys recommend?
3) We want different tangs, puffers, humahuma, clowns, long nose. I would like to give a go at coral but we were told many of the fish we want will eat and kill the coral. Is this true? If so we will stick to just fish. Also hopefully that info helps with the first two questions. Again thank you so much for everyone's help! I have spent countless hours and days researching everything and get mixed results and everyone seems very knowledgeable and helpful!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay awesome I was thinking it was taking in the extra water to keep up with the pump. I do have a few more questions and appreciate everyone's help so far!!
1) my pump has different speeds as well a wave making mode. I have it on steady flow but should I have the speed up, down, in the middle? I heard somewhere that higher speed is best not sure of that is accurate.
2) should I add anything to the sump? Like charcoal, bio ball, protein skimmer ect? And if so what would you guys recommend?
3) We want different tangs, puffers, humahuma, clowns, long nose. I would like to give a go at coral but we were told many of the fish we want will eat and kill the coral. Is this true? If so we will stick to just fish. Also hopefully that info helps with the first two questions. Again thank you so much for everyone's help! I have spent countless hours and days researching everything and get mixed results and everyone seems very knowledgeable and helpful!
1) I would start with it in steady flow, on a lower setting. You can bump it up as you fill your tank.
2) You will want a protein skimmer as the next step, otherwise I would say don't add anything unless it is to fix a problem.
3) I strongly recommend asking fish questions here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...ere-and-well-help.200605/page-88#post-3723089
We have some incredible fish experts that watch that thread and would be excellent resources to help answer your questions.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back