Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish seem to prefer a solo lifestyle, unless they're a bonded pair. (Watch them in the LFS - if you spot two defending one corner of the tank from all comers, those might just work. For a while, anyway.)

You might also take a look at some of the various shrimp-gobies, clown gobies, or cleaner gobies, as well as some of the more peaceful damsels from the genus Chrysiptera. Perhaps a small group of dartfish, or a midas, orangespot or tailspot blenny . . . (You could keep the midas _and_ one of the rock-hopping blennies. The midas is generally too high in the water column to be interested.)

~Bruce

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a fish list a while back, and based on the responses, I am planning on (5) resplendent anthias for my 220g. My question is what gender mix would be appropriate? I've seen posts that recommend, in groups of 3, to mix 2 females with 1 male. What about a group of 5? Stick with the single male and 4 females, or something else?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a fish list a while back, and based on the responses, I am planning on (5) resplendent anthias for my 220g. My question is what gender mix would be appropriate? I've seen posts that recommend, in groups of 3, to mix 2 females with 1 male. What about a group of 5? Stick with the single male and 4 females, or something else?
Either all females or 1 male 4 females.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A Tailspot Blenny is our first fish for our 8 gallon biocube. His name is Derby. (Kentucky Derby Day) Anything we should know about this little guy? Tips, tricks, etc...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Tailspot Blenny is our first fish for our 8 gallon biocube. His name is Derby. (Kentucky Derby Day) Anything we should know about this little guy? Tips, tricks, etc...
They find a perch or a whole they can fit their body in and watch their surroundings. They are peaceful and hardy, and not picky eaters.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They find a perch or a whole they can fit their body in and watch their surroundings. They are peaceful and hardy, and not picky eaters.
Thank you! He has been very active.

Adam113

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is 8 gallons sufficient for them? I had no idea, because I loveeeee Blennies but didn't think my 10g was enough. My29g is fully stocked so I didn't even do the research.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You gotta get one!!! I have tons of barnacles if you want a cluster.

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband has fallen in love with a Lamarcks Angel at our LFS. They've had it for a few weeks now and we've been keeping our eye on it. I know they can grow to 8 or 9 inches. We currently have in our dt:
Hippo Tang
Yellow Tang
Sailfin Tang
Coris Wrasse
Cleaner Wrasse
2 Diamond Sandsifting Gobies
2 Clowns
Flasher Wrasse
4 Chromis
Tailspot Blenny
3 Cleaner Shrimp
2 Blood Shrimp
Numerous snails and hermits
This is a 125 g tank. I personally think we are at our limit as far as livestock goes but he really would love to have this. There is a bigger tank in our future but not for at least a couple years. Advice?

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband has fallen in love with a Lamarcks Angel at our LFS. They've had it for a few weeks now and we've been keeping our eye on it. I know they can grow to 8 or 9 inches. We currently have in our dt:
Hippo Tang
Yellow Tang
Sailfin Tang
Coris Wrasse
Cleaner Wrasse
2 Clowns
Flasher Wrasse
4 Chromis
Tailspot Blenny
3 Cleaner Shrimp
2 Blood Shrimp
This is a 125 g tank. I personally think we are at our limit as far as livestock goes but he really would love to have this. There is a bigger tank in our future but not for at least a couple years. Advice?
Bump

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo Tang
Yellow Tang
Sailfin Tang
Coris Wrasse
Cleaner Wrasse
2 Clowns
Flasher Wrasse
4 Chromis
Tailspot Blenny
3 Cleaner Shrimp
2 Blood Shrimp
@Aquaph8

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo Tang
Yellow Tang
Sailfin Tang
Coris Wrasse
Cleaner Wrasse
2 Clowns
Flasher Wrasse
4 Chromis
Tailspot Blenny
3 Cleaner Shrimp
2 Blood Shrimp

Sadly I believe your at your limit. Can you tell us what size sump and what kind of equipment you have? If you have a oversized skimmer along with other nutrient reducing equipment, I believe you can get your angel.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hippo Tang
Yellow Tang
Sailfin Tang
Coris Wrasse
Cleaner Wrasse
2 Clowns
Flasher Wrasse
4 Chromis
Tailspot Blenny
3 Cleaner Shrimp
2 Blood Shrimp
What are your parameters, particularly nitrates and phosphates. Each tank is different as far as it's capacity for livestock. It is completely possible that the lamarcki would be fine to add, but if you are having trouble controllung nutrients it may not.

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters, particularly nitrates and phosphates. Each tank is different as far as it's capacity for livestock. It is completely possible that the lamarcki would be fine to add, but if you are having trouble controllung nutrients it may not.
We've decided not to push it with livestock. Everything is running smooth, levels, livestock etc. A lamarck will be one of the first fish we get when we upgrade to a bigger tank but that isn't for a couple years. Thanks everyone for your help.

karo25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a question regarding Dartfish. I'd like to keep a pair of Zebra Barred Dartfish (Ptereleotris zebra) and a pair of Blue Gudgeon Dartfish (Ptereleotris heteroptera) in a 75 gal w/ 40 gal sump. Would these two species have any issues? I'm just concerned due to the similarities in body shape.
They would be housed with 2 clownfish (Ocellaris), Royal Gramma Basslet, Black Combtooth Blenny and a Neon Blue Goby.
And an additional question... do Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp have any issues when adding another Scarlet Skunk at a later date?

Thanks in advance!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a question regarding Dartfish. I'd like to keep a pair of Zebra Barred Dartfish (Ptereleotris zebra) and a pair of Blue Gudgeon Dartfish (Ptereleotris heteroptera) in a 75 gal w/ 40 gal sump. Would these two species have any issues? I'm just concerned due to the similarities in body shape.
They would be housed with 2 clownfish (Ocellaris), Royal Gramma Basslet, Black Combtooth Blenny and a Neon Blue Goby.
And an additional question... do Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp have any issues when adding another Scarlet Skunk at a later date?

Thanks in advance!
Dartfish species mix well. No issues in keeping multiple specimens.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

I started with three zebra darts and two blue gudgeons. They schooled together as though they were all siblings. If they hadn't been so much skinnier than the holes in the eggcrate top . . .

(Ideally, add them all together.)

~Bruce

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back