Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK.... I wish I would have bought it already...
Going to have to figure out how I can introduce one to the tank without the hawk getting him ;)
Perhaps I can introduce the shrimp while rearranging to make an area with sand at the same time.
I think I like the wrasse idea since it will sleep in the sand.
You can place the net over the shrimp so it will begin building it's burrow where you want. You can also add food to the opposite side of the tank to distract the hawk.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your little flash.
Thank you. It was very disheartening. He was such a great fish too. Perfect tank mate/model citizen. Got a long great with my clown and spotted mandarin. The Anthias thought he was a goby. Trying to sleep with him under a rock all the time. Very personal kind of fish also. Came up to the glass and checked you out.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We just ordered our first fish. Barnacle blenny. We are super excited and hope he is happy and healthy in our tank. I could be mistaken, but I think it is an eyebrow blenny.

Colton T.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like some advice on whether or not to buy this as my FIRST tank. I am looking to explore the hobby and have thriving corals.

httpsskegon.craigslist.org/for/6101525859.html

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend against that tank. I would recommend a tank that is reef-ready, meaning it is a drilled tank, has an overflow, and a sump underneath. Having a sump increaes the volume of water, and is therefore a little more stable, allows a bit more O2 in the water, which helps with beneficial bacteria and fish, and allows most equipment to be kept out of sight.

Lars Olsson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am putting together a 65 gallon reef ready tank with a 20 gallon sump. I have the Reef Octopus Classic 110INT skimmer, Current-USA eFlux 1050gph DC pump, and a few other items that I won't get into.

I currently have a 20G long tank with two sand sifting stars, some snails and crabs, and one anemone that will all be moved to the new tank. I have no fish. I am looking for ideas on how to stock my new tank. I am looking to do corals at some point, and have appropriate lighting, but the timing is still up in the air. Any fish advice would be appreciated.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am putting together a 65 gallon reef ready tank with a 20 gallon sump. I have the Reef Octopus Classic 110INT skimmer, Current-USA eFlux 1050gph DC pump, and a few other items that I won't get into.

I currently have a 20G long tank with two sand sifting stars, some snails and crabs, and one anemone that will all be moved to the new tank. I have no fish. I am looking for ideas on how to stock my new tank. I am looking to do corals at some point, and have appropriate lighting, but the timing is still up in the air. Any fish advice would be appreciated.
A few options would include: royal gramma, yellow assessor, stigmatura blenny, firefish, trio of scissortail or zebra dartfish, fairy wrasse, small flasher wrasse, sunburst anthias, watchman goby/pistol shrimp pr.

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting up my first salt water tank. Its a Coraline 29g Biocube. Our plan down the road is to add 4-5 fish. What do yall think about this set.
Pair of Ocellaris Clowns
Royal Gramma Basslet
Yellowtail Damselfish
Yellow Clown Goby

Any suggestions on what to change or what wouldn't work? Or might we have some luck with this set? We are still in the planning stages.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting up my first salt water tank. Its a Coraline 29g Biocube. Our plan down the road is to add 4-5 fish. What do yall think about this set.
Pair of Ocellaris Clowns
Royal Gramma Basslet
Yellowtail Damselfish
Yellow Clown Goby

Any suggestions on what to change or what wouldn't work? Or might we have some luck with this set? We are still in the planning stages.
Skip the yellow damsel. They get too aggressive for a tank that size.

Mombo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a yellow watchman goby work in my tank? Should it be an either/or with the yellow clown goby? Why do people always have a pistol shrimp recommended with the Watchman? Do clown fish bother the Watchman goby?

For alternatives to the Damselfish does anyone have any suggestions?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a yellow watchman goby work in my tank? Should it be an either/or with the yellow clown goby? Why do people always have a pistol shrimp recommended with the Watchman? Do clown fish bother the Watchman goby?

For alternatives to the Damselfish does anyone have any suggestions?
A yellow watchman goby and yellow clown goby will coexist fine.

A pistol shrimp is recommended with a watchman goby because that is a way to observe a form of symbiosis in aquaria.

I would stick with the fish on your list and see how taking care of the tank works out before adding more fish.

Wonf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So FINALLY after 3 months of going fallow, my new tank mates have settled in (not all of them made it through the qt process... but that's a different story/topic...)

The current fish in my 75g half circle are:
Dragon Wrasse
Yellow Tang
Clownfish
Royal Dottyback

We want to add some more smaller fish (don't have it in me to try for another medium/large after losing so many foxfaces and yellow tangs...)
Is it OK to have multiple (like 3 or 4) Firefish?

What other smaller fish (prefer colorful) would be OK to keep? Whether it's multiple of one or numerous different fish.

Thanks in advance.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So FINALLY after 3 months of going fallow, my new tank mates have settled in (not all of them made it through the qt process... but that's a different story/topic...)

The current fish in my 75g half circle are:
Dragon Wrasse
Yellow Tang
Clownfish
Royal Dottyback

We want to add some more smaller fish (don't have it in me to try for another medium/large after losing so many foxfaces and yellow tangs...)
Is it OK to have multiple (like 3 or 4) Firefish?

What other smaller fish (prefer colorful) would be OK to keep? Whether it's multiple of one or numerous different fish.

Thanks in advance.
Unless they are a bonded pr firefish are intolerant of conspecifics. Also, dottybacks and firefish aren't good tankmates.

In fact, dottybacks can be pretty aggressive to many small reef safe fish.

A group of green chromis may do well.

Wonf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch... didn't realize dottybacks were so aggressive... Got him instead of a Royal Gramma because I figured they aren't as shy and will be out in the open more.

Green chromis sounds interesting. They are nothing like damsels right? First 2 fish were blue damsels... what a nightmare getting them out and returning them was...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch... didn't realize dottybacks were so aggressive... Got him instead of a Royal Gramma because I figured they aren't as shy and will be out in the open more.

Green chromis sounds interesting. They are nothing like damsels right? First 2 fish were blue damsels... what a nightmare getting them out and returning them was...
Green chromis are much more peaceful.

Wonf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are blue chromis more aggressive than the green? or can I have a mixture of both green and blue?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 130 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back