Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few - neon, yellowline and sharknose gobies (the cleaner gobies) and Yasha shrimpgobies - and I think I heard somewhere that Rainford's gobies are being captive-bred as well?

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Thinking about 3-5 Halichoeres wrasses as well... same deal?
If possible, yes, though getting the more peaceful species first and adding the new ones via social acclimation nox will work too.
I have a 45 gallon mixed reef.
Looking to increase bioload with more fish.
Current fish

2 ocy clowns
Dwarf angel Cherub
Flamehawk

What Would be good options?
Concerned about comparability with hawk he picked on angel for a couple days when I added him.

Thanks
Stigmatura or midas blenny, flasher wrasse, a trio of scissortail or zebra dartfish.

Are there any captivity bred Goby? A tiny ONE for an 8 gallon tank?
Bruce's suggestions are all good.

bean2986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, yes, though getting the more peaceful species first and adding the new ones via social acclimation nox will work too.

Stigmatura or midas blenny, flasher wrasse, a trio of scissortail or zebra dartfish.

Bruce's suggestions are all good.

Thanks again. Will follow up when I have full stock list to make sure.

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 265 gallon reef tank with a Chocolate, Cinnamon, and Ocellaris clownish. I just added a 1.5" Hippo and 3.5" Mimic tang. I'm ready to start another batch of fish in quarantine, but I want to make sure I'm adding fish in an order that won't cause me problems later on. Here is my list of possible additions:

2 Banggai cardinalfish
either a Royal gramma or Blackcap basslet (or both if doable)
A trio of Lyretail anthias (maybe another trio type later on)
Naso tang (maybe, as I'm concerned about size)
Sailfin tang (on the fence if I want to do a trio of Zebrasomas by adding a Scopas and Yellow tang in the future)
Heniochus diphreutes Trio if they'll school together, single otherwise (although concerned about Zebrasomas taking issue with this)
Lamarck Angle (another concern with the tangs)

So, the concerns lie with when to add the tangs in relation to each other and the possible butterfly and angelfish. I also don't want to overdo the bioload and am prepared to shorten this list. :)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 265 gallon reef tank with a Chocolate, Cinnamon, and Ocellaris clownish. I just added a 1.5" Hippo and 3.5" Mimic tang. I'm ready to start another batch of fish in quarantine, but I want to make sure I'm adding fish in an order that won't cause me problems later on. Here is my list of possible additions:

2 Banggai cardinalfish
either a Royal gramma or Blackcap basslet (or both if doable)
A trio of Lyretail anthias (maybe another trio type later on)
Naso tang (maybe, as I'm concerned about size)
Sailfin tang (on the fence if I want to do a trio of Zebrasomas by adding a Scopas and Yellow tang in the future)
Heniochus diphreutes Trio if they'll school together, single otherwise (although concerned about Zebrasomas taking issue with this)
Lamarck Angle (another concern with the tangs)

So, the concerns lie with when to add the tangs in relation to each other and the possible butterfly and angelfish. I also don't want to overdo the bioload and am prepared to shorten this list. :)
Add the butterflies and angel before the tangs.

Heniochus are social, but don't really school.

Lyretails are a moe aggressive species of anthias, so any future anthias need to be compatible.

Both the blackcap and royal gramma can be added if done simultaneously.

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45 gallon mixed reef.
Looking to increase bioload with more fish.
Current fish

2 ocy clowns
Dwarf angel Cherub
Flamehawk
Starry Blenny :)

What Would be good options?
Concerned about comparability with hawk he picked on angel for a couple days when I added him.

Thanks
I suggest a starry blenny and flasher wrasse

Thanks for the recommendations, The local pet store I usually buy from had one that has been in the store a while and which i consider an appropriate size, so I picked up a "Starry Blenny". No problems whatsoever with the hawk. Any other suggestions other than the wrasse?

Thanks! the fish mentioned are great suggestions.

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is going to be last fish, i would suggest a mellower damsel like springeri, azure, yellowtail and talbot ( can choose according to color preference)
A really splash of yellow is the canary wrasse ( need sandbed or sand tub)....but you were asking other than wrasses...i figure u dont have a cover?...

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have the want for another fish for my 40B, but somehow muster up the strength to walk away. I feel as though it is maxed with 6 great fish. Everyone gets along, but I do have a Randall's Prawn Goby of all fish to be a jerk. I always wanted a Flame Angel, but felt like the tank is to small for that much of a boss attitude. Plus I love my corals and just picked up a Maxima Clam. Here is a picture of my tank and my goby being a jerk jawing at my yellow& purple wrasse. My other fish are a Spotted Mandarin, Swissguard Basslet, Grammica Lined Dartfish, and Clown. What else could possibly work? I am flat out stumped and happy with what I have. I also have 3 shrimp, red tuxedo urchin, fighting conch, 4 thumb size dwarf blue legged hermits, and 7 astrea snails rummaging around. Should I just throw in the towel? The far left cave is unoccupied.

IMG_20170421_105748.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have the want for another fish for my 40B, but somehow muster up the strength to walk away. I feel as though it is maxed with 6 great fish. Everyone gets along, but I do have a Randall's Prawn Goby of all fish to be a jerk. I always wanted a Flame Angel, but felt like the tank is to small for that much of a boss attitude. Plus I love my corals and just picked up a Maxima Clam. Here is a picture of my tank and my goby being a jerk jawing at my yellow& purple wrasse. My other fish are a Spotted Mandarin, Swissguard Basslet, Grammica Lined Dartfish, and Clown. What else could possibly work? I am flat out stumped and happy with what I have. I also have 3 shrimp, red tuxedo urchin, fighting conch, 4 thumb size dwarf blue legged hermits, and 7 astrea snails rummaging around. Should I just throw in the towel? The far left cave is unoccupied.

IMG_20170421_105748.jpg
If your stocklist is an exceptionally peaceful. So I would recommend against a flame angel. If you stopped adding now that would be fine. But if you wanted to add a few options that would work include: any of the Meiecanthus species of blenny, a Paraclinus blenny, sunburst anthias, neon goby, margarita or orangeline cardinal.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your stocklist is an exceptionally peaceful. So I would recommend against a flame angel. If you stopped adding now that would be fine. But if you wanted to add a few options that would work include: any of the Meiecanthus species of blenny, a Paraclinus blenny, sunburst anthias, neon goby, margarita or orangeline cardinal.
Had a red saddle back. Prawn goby stressed it out into hiding and never came out to feed and they NEED to feed. Then he put the nail in the coffin and tagged both his fins. Like I said he is a jerk and needs someone to kind of put him into place like the grammica lined Dartfish did.
RIP Flash

.facebook_1489642702180.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a red saddle back. Prawn goby stressed it out into hiding and never came out to feed and they NEED to feed. Then he put the nail in the coffin and tagged both his fins. Like I said he is a jerk and needs someone to kind of put him into place like the grammica lined Dartfish did.
RIP Flash

Red saddle anthias aren't the easiest anthias and do better in groups. All the fish I suggested are hardier than red saddled anthias.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red saddle anthias aren't the easiest anthias and do better in groups. All the fish I suggested are hardier than red saddled anthias.
Oh he ate like a beast. Just hard to do it when someone is attacking you from all directions. Anthias are out of the question. Blennies I hear so many stories of them dying. The Orange Stripped Cardinal look nice. I don't think the goby would let one last a week. They look to timid. Thanks for the try. Guess I will wait.

ws6kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking I would like to add a large anthias group, maybe 10 or so.

Currently feeding the tank 4 times a day and could easily add 2 feedings. Current stock list:
(3) Bellus Angels
(1) Emp Angel
(2) Yellow Tangs
(1) White tail bristletooth
(2) Ocellaris Clowns
(1) Melanarus Wrasse
(2) Golden Rhomboid Wrasse
(2) Flame Wrasse
(2) Red Dot/Glass Cardinals

Is there a particular anthias that would be best? Am I getting out of hand with the fish numbers for the 210g?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
RIP Flash

Sorry about your little flash.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh he ate like a beast. Just hard to do it when someone is attacking you from all directions. Anthias are out of the question. Blennies I hear so many stories of them dying. The Orange Stripped Cardinal look nice. I don't think the goby would let one last a week. They look to timid. Thanks for the try. Guess I will wait.
You could try putting a mirror against the tank to keep the prawn goby occupied for a few days/week to allow any new fish to settle in.
Thinking I would like to add a large anthias group, maybe 10 or so.

Currently feeding the tank 4 times a day and could easily add 2 feedings. Current stock list:
(3) Bellus Angels
(1) Emp Angel
(2) Yellow Tangs
(1) White tail bristletooth
(2) Ocellaris Clowns
(1) Melanarus Wrasse
(2) Golden Rhomboid Wrasse
(2) Flame Wrasse
(2) Red Dot/Glass Cardinals

Is there a particular anthias that would be best? Am I getting out of hand with the fish numbers for the 210g?
As long as you are able to maintain good water quality adding the anthias shouldn't be an issue.

I recommend dispar or randalls anthias. They are peaceful with each other and relatively hardy.

ws6kid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try putting a mirror against the tank to keep the prawn goby occupied for a few days/week to allow any new fish to settle in.

As long as you are able to maintain good water quality adding the anthias shouldn't be an issue.

I recommend dispar or randalls anthias. They are peaceful with each other and relatively hardy.

I saw your recommendation for the dispar in another post. This is what I was thinking. Thank you for the quick response!

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is going to be last fish, i would suggest a mellower damsel like springeri, azure, yellowtail and talbot ( can choose according to color preference)
A really splash of yellow is the canary wrasse ( need sandbed or sand tub)....but you were asking other than wrasses...i figure u dont have a cover?...

I don't have a cover but... I could put one on. I am getting close to finishing with fish. However I would like to run at the "max" end of fish for this aquarium... I do like fish with character... Despite the size I could set up an area with some sand.... A sand tub ( embed an area with a container of sand into the display?)

I know that the flame hawk will eat ornamental shrimp is a pistol shrimp considered ornamental? Would he eat it?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a cover but... I could put one on. I am getting close to finishing with fish. However I would like to run at the "max" end of fish for this aquarium... I do like fish with character... Despite the size I could set up an area with some sand.... A sand tub ( embed an area with a container of sand into the display?)

I know that the flame hawk will eat ornamental shrimp is a pistol shrimp considered ornamental? Would he eat it?
A pistol shrimp is usually safe from a flame hawk, though it helps to have the shrimp in before the hawk.

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK.... I wish I would have bought it already...
Going to have to figure out how I can introduce one to the tank without the hawk getting him ;)
Perhaps I can introduce the shrimp while rearranging to make an area with sand at the same time.
I think I like the wrasse idea since it will sleep in the sand.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back