Help - Do I need to redo my stand

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I made a big mistake yesterday. I was at Lowe's and went through 50 2x6 boards just to find 1 straight board. I then went to the pressure treated section and those boards were much better. I went went the pressure treated boards. I built the stand yesterday and it turned out great! Perfectly level and built like a beast. However, I read last night that pressure treated wood is not good to use because of the chemicals and it could warp.

Nothing will be under the stand as all equipment is in the garage. I glued the crap out of it and used stainless deck screws.

I really dont want to redo this if I don't have to. Not only money wise but due to the size I will have to cut it all down with a saw.

It is for my 500 gallon peninsula tank. Any thoughts before I go into demolition mode?

20220903_234347.jpg

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think painting the stand would lock in any possible chemicals leaching out? Are you facing it with plywood? If so, glue and screw it and it should be good.

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be fine. The "issue" with pressure treated wood is that it is wet. As it dries out, it can warp and twist. If you have 500 gallons of water on it, it is not going to be a problem, as the weight will keep it in shape as it dries. Face it with some plywood and paint it, and I think you will have an awesome stand.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think painting the stand would lock in any possible chemicals leaching out? Are you facing it with plywood? If so, glue and screw it and it should be good.

No. I was planning on painting it a high gloss black leaving it open. Skinning it is also a possibility though.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be fine. The "issue" with pressure treated wood is that it is wet. As it dries out, it can warp and twist. If you have 500 gallons of water on it, it is not going to be a problem, as the weight will keep it in shape as it dries. Face it with some plywood and paint it, and I think you will have an awesome stand.

That is what I was reading also. I would think the warping would be a big problem outside exposes to the elements and difference in high temperature swings and sun exposure. Inside with a climate controlled room with weight on it and the boards wood glued and screwed together should help.

Clearly I am talking myself back to sanity heren :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will shrink slightly over time. I would not be concerned about warping. That's generally a symptom of being exposed outdoors to the elements as it dries. Depending on how wet it is, your paint might not take to the treated lumber very well.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Check compatibility of your fasteners (screws, nails, etc) with the type of pressure treated wood. Nails/ screws will corrode up very quickly if they are not the correct ones. For example, some types of preservative contain copper that leads to galvanic corrosion.

You may want to let it dry out before painting. Once painted it will lock in the moisture.

Use a high quality primer before applying the paint. Be careful when sanding as the dust is not good to inhale.

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And pressure treated wood isn’t as bad as it used to be. That’s why it doesn’t last. Don’t bother with those stores when you need good lumber. Find a lumber yard.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check compatibility of your fasteners (screws, nails, etc) with the type of pressure treated wood. Nails/ screws will corrode up very quickly if they are not the correct ones. For example, some types of preservative contain copper that leads to galvanic corrosion.

You may want to let it dry out before painting. Once painted it will lock in the moisture.

Use a high quality primer before applying the paint. Be careful when sanding as the dust is not good to inhale.
This is true about material of screws thats why galvanized is usually the nail type used in p.t lumber. I would use p.t, but definitely let it dry out completely inside before you add weight to it and paint it when it dries out, to seal it. maybe put a dehumidifier in that room for a week. That looks great though its going to be an awesome build I like the height

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since the boards wont be in contact with the water I don't think the chemicals will be an issue??? And between the deck screws and glue (assuming the wood was dry enough when you glued it), you should be fine, can't imagine warping will be an issue either.

Looks great!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back