Help! Dosed Citric Acid into Reef Tank Water

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've have just made the world's most stupid mistake and need some advice quickly. I accidentally added water with citric acid solution in it (I mixed it for cleaning and it was in the same type of container as my RO water) to my water change water.

Everything in the tank went into shock. I managed to scoop out the livestock (e..g., fish, serpent stars, hermit crab) and put them into a 10 gallon observation tank I already had set up. Those I can see (I have rock in there) all look okay. I caught them very quickly. I rushed to my coral store and bought 20 gallons of water and just got home and did a 100% water change because all the coral are still in the tank. That process took about an hour total because they're 20 mins away.

I also have 4 RFAs in the tank that I can't move. They are all bunched up. Everything else is still closed/stressed but I'm wondering, was my 100% water change enough or is there citric acid residue in my sand? My guess is that I added about a cup citric acid mixture to 4 gallons of mixed salt water. My tank is only 20 gallons. I'd really appreciate any advice. I know, really really dumb, and maybe no one even knows what to say, but I feel panicked and could use advice. Thanks.

OP
OP
S

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you can do is couple good size water changes and maybe run carbon but doubt it does much. Will just have to run its course.
Thanks! At this point, all the water that was in there is out. I'm just concerned about the residue in the sand. I just saw that a few nassarius snails I had in there are still alive, as well as the bristle worms. I'm worried about the RFA's and corals but will have to wait and if needed, as you suggest, do another water change tomorrow. I appreciate your help.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've have just made the world's most stupid mistake and need some advice quickly. I accidentally added water with citric acid solution in it (I mixed it for cleaning and it was in the same type of container as my RO water) to my water change water.

Everything in the tank went into shock. I managed to scoop out the livestock (e..g., fish, serpent stars, hermit crab) and put them into a 10 gallon observation tank I already had set up. Those I can see (I have rock in there) all look okay. I caught them very quickly. I rushed to my coral store and bought 20 gallons of water and just got home and did a 100% water change because all the coral are still in the tank. That process took about an hour total because they're 20 mins away.

I also have 4 RFAs in the tank that I can't move. They are all bunched up. Everything else is still closed/stressed but I'm wondering, was my 100% water change enough or is there citric acid residue in my sand? My guess is that I added about a cup citric acid mixture to 4 gallons of mixed salt water. My tank is only 20 gallons. I'd really appreciate any advice. I know, really really dumb, and maybe no one even knows what to say, but I feel panicked and could use advice. Thanks.
The pH is what you need to fix.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did a 100% water change. I think that’s all you can do. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did a 100% water change. I think that’s all you can do. Good luck.
Thanks so much. Even though the light is still out, a few corals are starting to open. Two RFA's fled somewhere, but the other two are also opening and look okay. I did lose my emerald crab, which I couldn't find when I was transferring livestock. :( But maybe the corals will come back. Thanks for your support! :)

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much. Even though the light is still out, a few corals are starting to open. Two RFA's fled somewhere, but the other two are also opening and look okay. I did lose my emerald crab, which I couldn't find when I was transferring livestock. :( But maybe the corals will come back. Thanks for your support! :)
I dosed some by accident last year when I was cleaning a tank. But not as much as you, I think. Everything was OK.

OP
OP
S

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed some by accident last year when I was cleaning a tank. But not as much as you, I think. Everything was OK.
I'm glad to hear that!

It was a pretty freaky experience. The fish and inverts started to freak out. Clown fish swam upside down! I'm so lucky I had an observation tank up and running so that I could quickly scoop them out. Otherwise, without that much ready-made water, I would have lost a lot more. I must have given them quite a dose. I'm glad you didn't lose anything. I feel bad about my emerald crab.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dan_P, According to my indicator paper, the PH is 7. That's a little low. Do you have any suggestions for raising it? Thanks.
Dan’s advice was good. But I don’t think think pH paper has the resolution needed to be of any real help.

OP
OP
S

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan’s advice was good. But I don’t think think pH paper has the resolution needed to be of any real help.
Okay, good to know. I have a lot of hanna tests, but not for PH. All I have is the API and I seem to have misplaced the color chart. So, I'll have to order a new test but in the meantime, just watch and maybe do another water change if I need it. I don't want to overdo the water changes either though. I'm also not sure how to raise PH if it does turn out to be low.

OP
OP
S

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The test paper (I copied the link above) came with one of my test kits I believe. I thought it came with one of my hanna tests but I could be wrong.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should just do water ch age now. The tank will cycle again. Enough water change will save what is still alive.

OP
OP
S

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should just do water ch age now. The tank will cycle again. Enough water change will save what is still alive.
Thanks OrionN. I did a 100% water change. RFAs have opened again and corals are beginning to open. Fingers crossed. But if I need to I'll do another water change tomorrow. I appreciate your suggestion.

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those emerald crabs are tricky little Houdini's, I wouldn't be surprised if it found a nice hole in one of your rocks to hide in. Sounds like you have everything under control :)

OP
OP
S

SeaShine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those emerald crabs are tricky little Houdini's, I wouldn't be surprised if it found a nice hole in one of your rocks to hide in. Sounds like you have everything under control :)
Unfortunately, I took him out. He was upside and dead. I really shocked this tank. Thanks for your positive outlook though. Now I'm also worried about my new pink streaked wrasse who was just starting to get brave in his observation tank. I dumped two clowns, a small watchman goby, a red legged hermit crab and two serpent stars into his tank and even though no one is picking on him, he's pressed into a corner and looks petrified. They are REALLY shy little fish. Hopefully they all pull through the night together.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alkalinity according to Hanna checker is actually 10.1. Very high, right? Do you know what I should do to bring it down?
you just did a 100% water change so that is the value of the new water.

I ment when you added the acid, because that should have lowered the alkalinity.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back