OP
SelkieSam

SelkieSam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recommend getting a digital TDS(total dissolved solids) meter. The cheap stuff- anything from 5-10 will work. Then test the store's RO water. If it reads 0 then that's good.

Slightly concerned about their Prime recommendation though.. makes me wonder based on my experience. Three LFS- including one that specializes in salt water only were selling RO/DI water with readings of 100+. That's like buying tap water... As a result of this I invested in home RO/DI kit. for my two tanks. With your 9 gallon perhaps not worth the investment. But still, a TDS meter could prove useful- if you have access to bottled distilled water test those also. Make sure it's only distilled for bottled water. Not drinking, spring water, distilled for babies etc. The generic 'cheap' distilled proved to be the better with 0 readings.

By the way- absolutely understand the overwhelming aspect of starting in this hobby! I'm also a newbie of about 9 months. Hang in there and things will more or less get clearer as you go along. There will be a lot of seemingly conflicting answers, especially between LFS is telling you vs online responses.

Thank you!

OP
OP
SelkieSam

SelkieSam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Wanted to thank everyone again for their help- my Duncan is very happy and has two nice heads now . It is such a fun coral to watch each day.
The other thing growing with/from it does seem to be a baby feather duster so I have been letting it do it’s thing.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Wanted to thank everyone again for their help- my Duncan is very happy and has two nice heads now . It is such a fun coral to watch each day.
The other thing growing with/from it does seem to be a baby feather duster so I have been letting it do it’s thing.
That is great !
fantastic news .

we all love pictures of happy corals ….

OP
OP
SelkieSam

SelkieSam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_7182.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back