Help educate me on Vodka Dosing please.

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, hoping this can help someone else one day as well.

one year old fully stocked biocube 32. Intank media basket, refugium in 2nd chamber, stock skimmer in first. UV as well. AI prime with light schedule picture below.
ATO with small amount of kalk added. Numbers and tank look great other than my constant struggle to get nitrates lower. I’m really doing this excersize for the education. I know it probs doesn’t need to be done and some will say leave it alone BUT AGAIN, I want to learn and understanding vodka dosing is something I want to be more educated on for future tanks.
Sal. 1.025
Ph. 8.1.
KH. 10.1
Cal. 440.
Nit. 30-60 between water changes.
Phos. .025.
Mag. 1440

I range between 30-60 nitrates between 20% water changes every two weeks. 5 small fish, and only feed less than a half cube daily and other than roids once a week in a lower than required amount, no other feeding.
I’ve taken a year to understand where my tank wants to land naturally on everything and I’m trying to understand now, the techniques needed to step in and help if I ever need to.
So please help me understand vodka dosing in a nit shell. What to expect, how and at what dosage is successful and what to expect see happen and in what approx timeline. Thanks in advance.
Again this is to educate myself. I don’t think it’s needed, my tank is fine but I’m trying to learn not solve a problem and by the looks of my nitrates, I have an opportunity to learn so why not take it and get some of the wonderful guidance and mentoring you all have. Cheers.

37067AFF-3EB0-4DFB-9414-0F8A4FFCB47A.jpeg DDA5B5B6-2968-4F8B-BC83-DBD972DB2741.png

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your feeding nutrifying bacteria with the alcohol in the vodka 80 proof. It's helps populate the water column with enough nutrifying bacteria so it's also consumes nitrates.

Cultivating bacteria is an everyday event

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much!! Any adversary reactions? Is it going to kill a nem that likes to drink or anything?
This is not going to help if your nem already has a problem.

OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just another form of carbon dosing. One thing you should know is that it will lower your PO4 level too. Your PO4 level is already pretty low, so monitor to be sure you don't let it go to zero (you may find it requires dosing some PO4).

OP
OP
S

Stv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just another form of carbon dosing. One thing you should know is that it will lower your PO4 level too. Your PO4 level is already pretty low, so monitor to be sure you don't let it go to zero (you may find it requires dosing some PO4).
Something I was worried about and with chaeto thriving it’s even more a concern. Thank you so much.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your skimmer pulling stuff? Do not carbon dose without a good skimmer.
Carbon dosing grows bacteria which consume the nitrates and phosphates. The bacteria is then skimmed out.
Some advocate carbon dosing just to feed the corals. The bacteria ease the uptake of phosphates.
Some anecdotes about carbon dosing promoting cyano growth, which is a bacteria.
I started with vodka, then used diy nopox.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend NoPox over vodka but that's just me.
Especially, if your nitrate is in parameters, as carbon dosing effects nitrate versus phosphate at a ratio of 16 to 1, respectively (if I’m remembering it right).

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your skimmer pulling stuff? Do not carbon dose without a good skimmer.
Carbon dosing grows bacteria which consume the nitrates and phosphates. The bacteria is then skimmed out.
Some advocate carbon dosing just to feed the corals. The bacteria ease the uptake of phosphates.
Some anecdotes about carbon dosing promoting cyano growth, which is a bacteria.
I started with vodka, then used diy nopox.
I’ve also heard that adding your carbon dose to your coral’s calcium intake and improve growth, but I haven’t tried it, as I’ve been battling high calcium, lately.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back