Help emergency please :(

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been battling Dino’s. I was advised to dose microbactor 7, remove chemipure , and shut off protein slimmer. This is what my lfs suggested. I’ve been maintaining 3-5 nitrates and 0.09 phosphates -0.3 phosphates for 4 weeks. The Dino’s were coming back so I went to lfs. The only thing I did differently from before which seemed to be working was shut off skimmer, and remove carbon, and started dosing microbactor 7. My tank became really cloudy this morning and when I csme home everything was dead except my corrals and some hermit crabs. I have lost 600$ in live stock if I lose my corrals that’s 2 grand :( please help. I tested all my water when I got home and noticed everything dead, nothing was abnormal. I bought an oxygen test kit and I have between 0 and 2 mg/ml of 02 and the kit says I should have 8 mg/l. Is this why everything died ? I’m so ticked because like I said I have been battling Dino’s for a month and the die off was nothing compared to 3 weeks ago but nothing died and it barely got cloudy before. What killed everything ? It can’t be the Dino’s because like I said 3 weeks ago I had way more die off from the Dino’s. Why is my oxygen so low ? Here are pics from two days ago and then today (cloudy). I need to figure out what killed it stuff and how to prevent it from killing my corrals. Thank you so much I’m so sad. Like I said I tested my water for everything I’m super OCD and nothing is bad. I have zero ammonia, 0.08 phosphates , 5 nitrates etc. salinity is fine my water is just so cloudy and it smells weird. 3AD34BE9-E1A8-496A-BEBB-A3642C85529D.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0830.MOV
    15 MB
  • IMG_0846.MOV
    18.5 MB
OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been battling Dino’s. I was advised to dose microbactor 7, remove chemipure , and shut off protein slimmer. This is what my lfs suggested. I’ve been maintaining 3-5 nitrates and 0.09 phosphates -0.3 phosphates for 4 weeks. The Dino’s were coming back so I went to lfs. The only thing I did differently from before which seemed to be working was shut off skimmer, and remove carbon, and started dosing microbactor 7. My tank became really cloudy this morning and when I csme home everything was dead except my corrals and some hermit crabs. I have lost 600$ in live stock if I lose my corrals that’s 2 grand :( please help. I tested all my water when I got home and noticed everything dead, nothing was abnormal. I bought an oxygen test kit and I have between 0 and 2 mg/ml of 02 and the kit says I should have 8 mg/l. Is this why everything died ? I’m so ****** because like I said I have been battling Dino’s for a month and the die off was nothing compared to 3 weeks ago but nothing died and it barely got cloudy before. What killed everything ? It can’t be the Dino’s because like I said 3 weeks ago I had way more die off from the Dino’s. Why is my oxygen so low ? Here are pics from two days ago and then today (cloudy). I need to figure out what killed it stuff and how to prevent it from killing my corrals. Thank you so much I’m so sad. Like I said I tested my water for everything I’m super OCD and nothing is bad. I have zero ammonia, 0.08 phosphates , 5 nitrates etc. salinity is fine my water is just so cloudy and it smells weird. 3AD34BE9-E1A8-496A-BEBB-A3642C85529D.jpeg
The video is from two days ago of my tank... it’s only 20 gallons. This happened very quick and I want to prevent it from killing my corrals. I have a few hermits Alive but my clown fish , snails, cardinal , mandarin and a lot of little bugs in tank are all dead. Corrals seem fine but stressed from my black out. I have done 5 gallon water change. Doing another 5 gallon tonight and 5 gallons in morning which will be 100 percent water change.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been battling Dino’s. I was advised to dose microbactor 7, remove chemipure , and shut off protein slimmer. This is what my lfs suggested. I’ve been maintaining 3-5 nitrates and 0.09 phosphates -0.3 phosphates for 4 weeks. The Dino’s were coming back so I went to lfs. The only thing I did differently from before which seemed to be working was shut off skimmer, and remove carbon, and started dosing microbactor 7. My tank became really cloudy this morning and when I csme home everything was dead except my corrals and some hermit crabs. I have lost 600$ in live stock if I lose my corrals that’s 2 grand :( please help. I tested all my water when I got home and noticed everything dead, nothing was abnormal. I bought an oxygen test kit and I have between 0 and 2 mg/ml of 02 and the kit says I should have 8 mg/l. Is this why everything died ? I’m so ****** because like I said I have been battling Dino’s for a month and the die off was nothing compared to 3 weeks ago but nothing died and it barely got cloudy before. What killed everything ? It can’t be the Dino’s because like I said 3 weeks ago I had way more die off from the Dino’s. Why is my oxygen so low ? Here are pics from two days ago and then today (cloudy). I need to figure out what killed it stuff and how to prevent it from killing my corrals. Thank you so much I’m so sad. Like I said I tested my water for everything I’m super OCD and nothing is bad. I have zero ammonia, 0.08 phosphates , 5 nitrates etc. salinity is fine my water is just so cloudy and it smells weird. 3AD34BE9-E1A8-496A-BEBB-A3642C85529D.jpeg
My tank legit smells like cilantro. I bought an ICP test kit to test the water prior to any water changes. I have dosed nothing else no chemicals anything. Just microbactor 7. And I have just been doing small squirts daily for 2 days. Haven’t even used a 5th of the bottle

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess a bacterial bloom used up all your oxygen. You can add an air stone and point the powerhead toward surface to get more o2 in the tank. I would also bring the protein skimmer back online.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would guess a bacterial bloom used up all your oxygen. You can add an air stone and point the powerhead toward surface to get more o2 in the tank. I would also bring the protein skimmer back online.
My power heads are always pointing up. I maintain a ph of 8.1-8.2 normally. I actually just thought to check my ph. It’s the lowest it’s ever been which means I have a lot of co2 in my tank? My protein skimmer is back on. So the bacterial bloom is from dosing macrobsctor 7? And because I shut off my skimmer like they said it was starved of oxygen? Look at my ph now ...

A9FCE232-F944-4573-9EFA-F7393D382DC8.jpeg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes adding bacteria can cause a bloom. If the water starts to turn cloudy the skimmer should be turned on to in release oxygen and to skimme out the bacteria.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skim wet to get some of that bacteria out. Also get an air pump and air stone in there. You wanna save that coral.
I would put carbon back in too. This will soak up any toxins from the dino’s.
If It’s a smaller tank I would do a big water change. 50-70%

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes adding bacteria can cause a bloom. If the water starts to turn cloudy the skimmer should be turned on to in release oxygen and to skimme out the bacteria.
Thank you. So I have a problem. Every pet store is closed and I can’t get an air stone tonight. Will my corrals die by tomorrow due to low oxygen ? I have my windows open now. What else can I do until tomorrow ? Nothing else to die in tank except my 1.5 grand in corrals.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Skim wet to get some of that bacteria out. Also get an air pump and air stone in there. You wanna save that coral.
I would put carbon back in too. This will soak up any toxins from the dino’s.
If It’s a smaller tank I would do a big water change. 50-70%
Thank you. I’m going a 100 percent water change. 60 percent today 40 in morning.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. So I have a problem. Every pet store is closed and I can’t get an air stone tonight. Will my corrals die by tomorrow due to low oxygen ? I have my windows open now. What else can I do until tomorrow ? Nothing else to die in tank except my 1.5 grand in corrals.
Skimmer and maybe somebody local has a fw tank that could spare an air pump and air stone. If you are close to Springfieldil I have some

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like you overdosed the microbacter 7 (did you follow the instructions?), caused a massive bacterial bloom (why water is cloudy) and the bacterial bloom starved the tank of oxygen (and causes low ph) and without the help of the skimmer adding much needed oxygen to the tank during this time your livestock couldnt breathe and passed. corals can survive this for a bit, fish etc no. if you read the instructions here, says 1 cap full per 50 gallons of water ONCE a week, or 1 drop per 50 gallons every other day. (highly doubt you were super high nutrient in a 20g) so you way overdosed dosing every day and if used 1/5 of a bottle in 2 days..... you basically killed your tanks inhabitants by oxygen starvation. sorry. always good to read b4 dumping things in ur tank

Microbacter7

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
LFS Only told you part of it . . . . . . . . .
Do that water change and siphon up as much of Dino as possible. Then:
During the day, dose 1ml of Bacter 7 PER 10 gallons (may be why you got bloom from adding too much). Leave white lights off and Blues at 5%. Thats it for light.
Then at night, dose 1ml of hydrogen Peroxide per 10 gallons. DO THIS FOR THE NEXT 5 DAYS.
EACH DAY: Blow any dino loose with turkey baster and either net it or force it to overflow and clean filters daily.
Day 5 you will notice huge Improvement.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may try one of the megastores like Walmart, sometimes they have a pet department and will have air pump.
Or bring powerhead up to surface so it sucks air in and jets out water with a bunch of micro bubbles.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sounds like you overdosed the microbacter 7 (did you follow the instructions?), caused a massive bacterial bloom (why water is cloudy) and the bacterial bloom starved the tank of oxygen (and causes low ph) and without the help of the skimmer adding much needed oxygen to the tank during this time your livestock couldnt breathe and passed. corals can survive this for a bit, fish etc no. if you read the instructions here, says 1 cap full per 50 gallons of water ONCE a week, or 1 drop per 50 gallons every other day. (highly doubt you were super high nutrient in a 20g) so you way overdosed dosing every day and if used 1/5 of a bottle in 2 days..... you basically killed your tanks inhabitants by oxygen starvation. sorry. always good to read b4 dumping things in ur tank

Microbacter7
You are completely right. I went into lfs the best one here asked to speak to owner. She forwarded me to a guy with a nano tank. He told me I couldn’t overdose microbactor 7 and just to “squirt some “ in each day. There’s no harm and it can’t be overdosed. I even read the directions but decided to listen to him which is my mistake. Ugh I’m no longer trusting them at all and only using this forums for help. My tank was doing so good aside from the Dino’s. Rip to my mandarin and absolute zero clownfish pair :( I guess you learn appreciate you helping me figure out the cause.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may try one of the megastores like Walmart, sometimes they have a pet department and will have air pump.
Or bring powerhead up to surface so it sucks air in and jets out water with a bunch of micro bubbles.
I was able to snag one 15 mins before wall mart closed. You guys are the best <3

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LFS Only told you part of it . . . . . . . . .
Do that water change and siphon up as much of Dino as possible. Then:
During the day, dose 1ml of Bacter 7 PER 10 gallons (may be why you got bloom from adding too much). Leave white lights off and Blues at 5%. Thats it for light.
Then at night, dose 1ml of hydrogen Peroxide per 10 gallons. DO THIS FOR THE NEXT 5 DAYS.
EACH DAY: Blow any dino loose with turkey baster and either net it or force it to overflow and clean filters daily.
Day 5 you will notice huge Improvement.
I should wait to do all this once I get over this bacterial bloom correct ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back