OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fish food, in general, adds nitrates and phosphates in unbalanced ratios, which certainly would not help anything. I’m sure there are other products, but Brightwell neophos and neonitro come to mind if you want to dose nutrients. Hopefully some more experienced reefers can tell you if this would be a good idea or not.
Ya the fish store I called that laughed at dosing nitrates isn’t known as the best one here. It just was close. I know the other fish store I go to has that stuff so I’ll pick up some.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think my nitrifying bacteria didn’t die ? The reason I ask is because I noticed a lot of dead “mysis” and other bugs during this bloom when my fish died. I was worried I lost a lot of good bacteria. The low oxygen didn’t kill all that nitrifying bacteria?
You could check ammonia just to make sure. If you don’t have a test, just take your water with you to the LFS.
Dead shrimp and pods in there would cause a big spike in ammonia if your nitrifying bacteria were dead.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should add I need to wait for fish I think. I’m still having leftover bacterial bloom. The water is clear but there is this thick white slime that’s slowly getting better. It clogs my filter floss almost flooded my tank last night in middle of night. I think it’s left over bacterial bloom ?
May be good idea to wait. If you are still having problems with bloom, you probably shouldn’t dose either because it will be adding more fuel to the fire.
When does your UV get there?

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
May be good idea to wait. If you are still having problems with bloom, you probably shouldn’t dose either because it will be adding more fuel to the fire.
When does your UV get there?
My UV should be here Monday. Also I checked ammonia and nitrite. My ammonia, nitrite , and nitrate are all zero. I have .09 phosphates ( fed reef roids once yesterday ).

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Update: I have added a shrimp 4 days ago and he is still Alive doing well. I will be adding a clownfish pair back this weekend. Currently everything seems fixed and I only lost one corral through all this. It was one of my sps branching setosa (30$). My Montiporas were next but they are making a recovery. I have been adding doctor Tim’s one and only just because I had a bottle left in the fridge and it will help if I lost any beneficial bacteria. I have unplugged my skimmer, stopped carbon dosing in order to raise my nutrients. I’ve learned I had overkill in my tank And I’m planning to allow my nitrates to rise to 15-20 ppm before turning skimmer back on. My Dino’s are coming back but my UV arrived today. I’m hoping this UV will fix it I plan to run it 24/7 on my tank from now on. It will he replacing a filter floss portion but it has a sponge on top of it. Here are some update pics.

C9C6269B-447B-4FED-A19C-86B12E630C2A.jpeg 93597F04-9A44-429C-945B-13AA6306540B.jpeg CFB7C83E-E6B4-45BD-AA6C-8F1ECC9C534A.jpeg

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why more marine hobbyist don't use one, after all anyone who has ever snorkled above a reef (I've done it off Australia, Portugal and Japan) know from the wave effects that the water is constantly full of bubbles, so it is what would naturally occur. My Clowns and Damsel seem to love playing in the bubbles! :)
The bubbles popping on the surface all day makes a horrible mess of salt creep. I personally could never stand it. That's really the only downside I know of.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The bubbles popping on the surface all day makes a horrible mess of salt creep. I personally could never stand it. That's really the only downside I know of.
Yea it was super annoying can’t lie. It for salt everywhere. I wonder if you could do it in a sump and get the same benefit ?

Chibils

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it was super annoying can’t lie. It for salt everywhere. I wonder if you could do it in a sump and get the same benefit ?
Definitely. Especially when you're not running your skimmer, since that produces a lot of oxygenation. You will still have to deal with the salt creep, unless you get a small piece of material to cover your sump directly over where the airstone is, to contain it.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could check ammonia just to make sure. If you don’t have a test, just take your water with you to the LFS.
Dead shrimp and pods in there would cause a big spike in ammonia if your nitrifying bacteria were dead.
Question for you since you have been such a big help. My only corral still affected is my chalice. Can this portion regrow it’s color or is this dead tissue dead forever and I can cut it off?

B8463936-30E3-4D24-BE6B-DB815B2BD674.jpeg

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for you since you have been such a big help. My only corral still affected is my chalice. Can this portion regrow it’s color or is this dead tissue dead forever and I can cut it off?

B8463936-30E3-4D24-BE6B-DB815B2BD674.jpeg
I don’t have chalice corals, but any of my others that have died in a spot do not regrow in that spot. Best bet is to cut that part off. You are lucky because it’s on the edge and will look great after it’s trimmed.

Make sure to dip it in some iodine dip (mixed with saltwater per directions) so it doesn’t get infected where you cut it.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t have chalice corals, but any of my others that have died in a spot do not regrow in that spot. Best bet is to cut that part off. You are lucky because it’s on the edge and will look great after it’s trimmed.

Make sure to dip it in some iodine dip (mixed with saltwater per directions) so it doesn’t get infected where you cut it.
Must it be iodine or is corral RX okay? I use corral RX for my dips. I’m also lucky it’s only a 20$ frag.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back