OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I need your opinion guys. My nitrates are zero and phosphates are 0.02. I haven’t been feeding and I have no live stock in tank. My tank is fully cleared up ph is back to 8.0. I tested my oxygen and it’s at 9mg/l. I really need to get some fish in here to raise my nitrates or I’m worried I will just get Dino’s back so far there is no signs of Dino. Lights have been on for 5 days. Can I add fish now? Also is my Xenia dead?

E7655168-73AC-4B90-B8C6-19EC9D88FDD5.jpeg 812D2980-0570-4424-8D50-E82CC8EC1A93.jpeg

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank isnt much larger than yours, it's a Superfish Home 110.
If you don't like the look of bubbles, then the easy solution is just to turn it on at night, then turn it off when you get up.
It may be the case that the sudden drop in pH was the biggest killer, esp affecting corals.

Depends where you are located as you don't have that info in your profile. If your in the US like most on this site, Gulf of Mexico for sure, just be careful as tourists can be targetted. I haven't been to Mexico myself as I travelled further South, but back in Uni a few mates did a summer together as scuba instructors there and said it was awesome (babe magnet supposidly but you can't believe all students say!)

If your in Europe, then its a relatively short flight to either the Amalfi Coast off Italy in the Adriatic Sea, or a little further flight time to the coast off Israel in the Med where there is the coral beach Eliat and the Yatush wreck. Portugal is v nice just watch the strong Atlantic currents.

Great barrier Reef off Cairns AU was amazing esp the giant clams. But I was very young and dumb back then doing lots of crazy things (Pirahna fishing in Brazil for example) so if I did it now i'd be thinking Great White Sharks...dur dum... dur dum...the Med is safer!

Scott
Also did you get scuba certified there or back at home ? How much of a decent set up of scuba gear with a tank?

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never officially been scuba certified. I just tagged along with my mates who were instructors when I was a teenager and picked things up, then later in Australia I got a round of beers and we became buds, no worries mate ;)
cant remember what shenanigans I got up to in other locations, but its who you know. Beers go a long way!

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I need your opinion guys. My nitrates are zero and phosphates are 0.02. I haven’t been feeding and I have no live stock in tank. My tank is fully cleared up ph is back to 8.0. I tested my oxygen and it’s at 9mg/l. I really need to get some fish in here to raise my nitrates or I’m worried I will just get Dino’s back so far there is no signs of Dino. Lights have been on for 5 days. Can I add fish now? Also is my Xenia dead?

E7655168-73AC-4B90-B8C6-19EC9D88FDD5.jpeg 812D2980-0570-4424-8D50-E82CC8EC1A93.jpeg
I would be weary if adding fish back this soon. Instead, I would start feeding your corals and dosing nitrates and phosphates to keep them at the proper levels.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would be weary if adding fish back this soon. Instead, I would start feeding your corals and dosing nitrates and phosphates to keep them at the proper levels.
Thank you I like that idea and will buy some of that stuff to do so tomorrow :)

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never officially been scuba certified. I just tagged along with my mates who were instructors when I was a teenager and picked things up, then later in Australia I got a round of beers and we became buds, no worries mate ;)
cant remember what shenanigans I got up to in other locations, but its who you know. Beers go a long way!
Lol scuba diving buzzed would be scary but super fun to have. I’m looking at those places online now dang. It’s sad to think some of these reefs will possible die in years :(

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol scuba diving buzzed would be scary but super fun to have. I’m looking at those places online now dang. It’s sad to think some of these reefs will possible die in years :(
I wasn't actually buzzed whilst diving, i'm not that nuts! Just social lubricant while travelling and meeting divers.

LOL yeah, were all doomed and we only have 9 years to live. Take what you hear from 'scientists' with a big pinch of salt.

Have a look on Nasa webpages about record low sun spot activity. IMO that's the real influencer over the climate, and it's a cooling not a warming we are entering. Life will adapt in the oceans as current patterns move and change as they have always done in earths history with the solar cycles. The issue for us will be falling crop yield with lessening solar output.

Ice age farmer podcast explains it well.

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't actually buzzed whilst diving, i'm not that nuts! Just social lubricant while travelling and meeting divers.

LOL yeah, were all doomed and we only have 9 years to live. Take what you hear from 'scientists' with a big pinch of salt.

Have a look on Nasa webpages about record low sun spot activity. IMO that's the real influencer over the climate, and it's a cooling not a warming we are entering. Life will adapt in the oceans as current patterns move and change as they have always done in earths history with the solar cycles. The issue for us will be falling crop yield with lessening solar output.

Ice age farmer podcast explains it well.

Come on mate, YouTube and Facebook over actual scientists?

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on mate, YouTube and Facebook over actual scientists?
"Actual scientists" LOL!!! :D

Show me a scientist who won't have a sudden change of mind and skew data to fit whatever narrative they are paid to "prove" the second an offer of a grant/publication right is waved under their nose, and i'll add that to the list of Unicorns and Lepricons. ;)

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Actual scientists" LOL!!! :D

Show me a scientist who won't have a sudden change of mind and skew data to fit whatever narrative they are paid to "prove" the second an offer of a grant/publication right is waved under their nose, and i'll add that to the list of Unicorns and Lepricons. ;)

You speak of something you clearly know nothing about. If you want to still speak that’s up to you, but be clear that those of us who actually have an education know you’re being foolish.

Explain Salk’s results to me.
Show me how to disprove the law of angular momentum.
Tell me why it took 100 years to finally show the effect of Einstein’s gravitational lensing.

I’m embarrassed for you.

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it has been mentioned but peroxide dosing worked for me and a few others after I recommended it. 1ml/10 gallons nightly until it is gone. May take 5-14 days and the skimmer can be left on.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure if it has been mentioned but peroxide dosing worked for me and a few others after I recommended it. 1ml/10 gallons nightly until it is gone. May take 5-14 days and the skimmer can be left on.
I’m so scared to add that crap to my tank. This thread was made from dosing good bacteria. So far no signs of Dino’s but I’m really scared they will come back because my nutrients are zero. I called a fish store and they laughed at me when I asked if they had nitrates to dose. They said add fish food when I have no fish ..

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it completely safe if I dose that exact ratio ? I read you should add good bacteria like dr Tim’s the next morning because the peroxide kills good bacteria ?

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so scared to add that crap to my tank. This thread was made from dosing good bacteria. So far no signs of Dino’s but I’m really scared they will come back because my nutrients are zero. I called a fish store and they laughed at me when I asked if they had nitrates to dose. They said add fish food when I have no fish ..
Fish food, in general, adds nitrates and phosphates in unbalanced ratios, which certainly would not help anything. I’m sure there are other products, but Brightwell neophos and neonitro come to mind if you want to dose nutrients. Hopefully some more experienced reefers can tell you if this would be a good idea or not.

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should be okay to introduce a fish. I use peroxide in freshwater tanks, it breaks down into water and oxygen. Not sure but assume it is similarly harmless in marine? You have to limit it as otherwise too much oxygen.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add a fish or 2. Your nitrifying bacteria in rock and substrate should be unchanged..

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you should be okay to introduce a fish. I use peroxide in freshwater tanks, it breaks down into water and oxygen. Not sure but assume it is similarly harmless in marine? You have to limit it as otherwise too much oxygen.
Peroxide will kill due to reactive oxygen. In small doses algae and bacteria and in larger doses it kills a lot more.

I like to use it on rocks outside the tank to spot treat algae.

Inside tank you don’t want to use a lot at once, I don’t remember how many ml to 10 gallons, but there are some huge threads on R2R where people use it for algae and Dino’s.

I would not use it to increase oxygen in the tank. Kill the bacteria, maybe... but probably not with corals in there that were already stressed. My coral never reacted well to H2O2 so I don’t use it in the tank. Maybe they would have been fine with daily dosing for Dino’s, but I didn’t like the slime they all started making, clearly upset them. My snails didn’t like it either...

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would add a fish or 2. Your nitrifying bacteria in rock and substrate should be unchanged..
So you think my nitrifying bacteria didn’t die ? The reason I ask is because I noticed a lot of dead “mysis” and other bugs during this bloom when my fish died. I was worried I lost a lot of good bacteria. The low oxygen didn’t kill all that nitrifying bacteria?

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Peroxide will kill due to reactive oxygen. In small doses algae and bacteria and in larger doses it kills a lot more.

I like to use it on rocks outside the tank to spot treat algae.

Inside tank you don’t want to use a lot at once, I don’t remember how many ml to 10 gallons, but there are some huge threads on R2R where people use it for algae and Dino’s.

I would not use it to increase oxygen in the tank. Kill the bacteria, maybe... but probably not with corals in there that were already stressed. My coral never reacted well to H2O2 so I don’t use it in the tank. Maybe they would have been fine with daily dosing for Dino’s, but I didn’t like the slime they all started making, clearly upset them. My snails didn’t like it either...
Thank you I’m going to hold on the peroxide. Maybe I will try it once my corrals are stress free again and rebound fully. Only if I continue to battle Dino’s.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I should add I need to wait for fish I think. I’m still having leftover bacterial bloom. The water is clear but there is this thick white slime that’s slowly getting better. It clogs my filter floss almost flooded my tank last night in middle of night. I think it’s left over bacterial bloom ?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back