OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is awesome that the LFS will take care of you like that after receiving bad guidance. That is a rough lesson and a horrible loss for any system. Hope the system has a speedy recovery and able move passed such an ordeal. Wishing for the best and glad to hear about an LFS willing to help a hobbyist like that.
Thank you I will update this when I know what all makes it. I’m glad they helped me out too I was surprised. Kinda upset they tried to out smart me and say idk if it’s due to that x y and z but thanks to everyone here I was able to stand my ground with my knowledge and not get walked over.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to bug but what are the survivability for my corrals ? Obviously there’s no way to tell but when I shine deep blue everything I can see through the milky bloom seems to be alive still. If I have an air stone and stay on top of it what am I expecting. Weeks of this cloudiness ? Corrals would die fast? Slow?

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forums decided it was osteo kind

1ABA5A89-B747-4031-AA70-71DD27AC1669.png
Ok that’s the kind I had. You will need to deal with that because it killed some of my corals. At least it’s the one that has a cure.

I did the blackout thing, MB7, all kinds of things For months that didn’t work.

Finally dosing NO3 to 5-10 and PO4 0.05-0.1 and UV killed it. Tank was looking better in 24 hours with UV. UV will actually work on your bacteria bloom too.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok that’s the kind I had. You will need to deal with that because it killed some of my corals. At least it’s the one that has a cure.

Finally dosing NO3 to 5-10 and PO4 0.05-0.1 and UV killed it. Tank was looking better in 24 hours with UV. UV will actually work on your bacteria bloom too.
It’s so annoying I shoulda listened to everyone and went straight to UV before trying this crap. I actually have one but I bought the wrong size and bulk reef supply which is actually local for me is out of the desktop size. If I use this it will make the warranty not work for the exchange. My nutrient problem was fixed ( I added a refugium and ignored the zero nitrates for a month) after removing that and use bio balls instead (pod population for my mandarin) my nitrates maintained 5ppm and phosphates were within normal range too. I bet it’s an amazing feeling once you get rid of it all. I still can’t believe overdosing max 10ml of microbactor 7 caused this.

2235B1B3-B37F-4AF9-84AC-52B014F5BF38.jpeg

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s so annoying I shoulda listened to everyone and went straight to UV before trying this crap. I actually have one but I bought the wrong size and bulk reef supply which is actually local for me is out of the desktop size. If I use this it will make the warranty not work for the exchange. My nutrient problem was fixed ( I added a refugium and ignored the zero nitrates for a month) after removing that and use bio balls instead (pod population for my mandarin) my nitrates maintained 5ppm and phosphates were within normal range too. I bet it’s an amazing feeling once you get rid of it all. I still can’t believe overdosing max 10ml of microbactor 7 caused this.

2235B1B3-B37F-4AF9-84AC-52B014F5BF38.jpeg
How many watts is that?
You have a 20 gallon right?

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never identified the type of Dino’s I had, but sms is spot on, you need nutrients in the tank to let everything else outcompete the dinos. I don’t have experience with UV but it may be warranted. Just make sure as you get back on track to make slow changes to the system. Always research what you add on here first and Even then be cautious. Once your system matures it will be way more stable. I use MB7 and like it, but like anything it needs to be used appropriately. That is awesome that the LFS compensated you!

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

This is 11 watts and the desktop which is meant for this AIO tank is 9 watts. I have a 20 gallon IM Nuvo. I just realized. Can I just place the uv bulb directly in a high flow area instead of using the container it’s suppose to fit in if that makes sense ? The container is too big so I can’t put it in the right compartment. I’m wondering if I just use the bulb in the sump where the high flow chamber is will it work? Then I can just wipe it off and try and exchange it still lol.

9CEABD19-1B3D-4DDE-BF8F-2345AF516713.jpeg DF3A35F1-99E8-4D06-8078-49C6B04E2CC0.jpeg

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never identified the type of Dino’s I had, but sms is spot on, you need nutrients in the tank to let everything else outcompete the dinos. I don’t have experience with UV but it may be warranted. Just make sure as you get back on track to make slow changes to the system. Always research what you add on here first and Even then be cautious. Once your system matures it will be way more stable. I use MB7 and like it, but like anything it needs to be used appropriately. That is awesome that the LFS compensated you!
Yes and since all my fish are dead the nutrients are very low right now. Once this bloom is over I’ll use the reimbursement from lfs and get more fish to raise nutrients but I feel like raising nutrients is second right now ? I need to get this bloom taken care of and oxygen risen. Then start feeding corrals and add another clownfish pair once it’s not so cloudy.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is 11 watts and the desktop which is meant for this AIO tank is 9 watts. I have a 20 gallon IM Nuvo. I just realized. Can I just place the uv bulb directly in a high flow area instead of using the container it’s suppose to fit in if that makes sense ? The container is too big so I can’t put it in the right compartment. I’m wondering if I just use the bulb in the sump where the high flow chamber is will it work? Then I can just wipe it off and try and exchange it still lol.

9CEABD19-1B3D-4DDE-BF8F-2345AF516713.jpeg DF3A35F1-99E8-4D06-8078-49C6B04E2CC0.jpeg
Bummer. I don’t think it will have the right flow of water next to the UV bulb. But it may be worth a try tonight. It may save you a water change.

if BRS is out of the kind you need, you can pick up a cheap green killing machine From petsmart. You don’t want to use this for long though, think of this as disposable.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bummer. I don’t think it will have the right flow of water next to the UV bulb. But it may be worth a try tonight. It may save you a water change.

if BRS is out of the kind you need, you can pick up a cheap green killing machine From petsmart. You don’t want to use this for long though, think of this as disposable.
I’ve read all about that and it may be worth it for now considering the cost of my corrals at stake . I liked this IM one because they sell replacement bulbs. I read the one from petsmart isn’t permanent like you mention. Maybe you told me that in a previous post. Will getting that cheap one help improve my surviviblity of corrals ?

Alenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger that I’m exhausted.

Get some sleep :)

Tomorrow try to just go Lo-fi with the tank, focus on water changes and give your corals a little food. Less is more. I feel you, **** gets real in a nano in an insanely short time. Stabilise the water and that should help your corals.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have saved me a bunch. Wasn’t your old picture your huskies ?
My old avatar was of skeeter my old lab we had to put him down 29 Jan. We do have two huskies. The copper is loki the black and white is Skylar

20200629_173442.jpg 20200629_173455.jpg 20200705_110806.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have dino Ostreopsis is the easiest to treat. Uv is one of the best treatments. Just make sure to get nitrates and phosphates up. They can kill coral and inverts you may have to add the bio diversity back after treatment. Run your lights like normal uv at night. Ostreo goes into the water column at night. This is the best time to use uv.

During the day siphon the out of the tank through a 5 micron sock into a five gallon bucket. Then pour the water back into the tank. Best way to deal with ostreo.

Your large water change may fuel the dino. There is something in synthetic sw that seems to fuel dino.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back