Help! Encrusting monti developing white spots!

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this encrusting monti-type coral in my tank for at least six months. Currently about 6" across. It's been great - fast growth, blue edges, happy little ployps. But a few weeks ago it lightened up from a deep red to a more medium pinkish-red. Then it developed some whitish patches in the front, and now bright white patches on the rear edges. I was thinking it might be a nearby Hollywood stunner committing atrocities, but that doesn't explain the lightening of color or the whitish spots on the front. Definitely not a nudibranch - I'm meticulous, and besides I have a bunch other monti colonies and they're all dandy. Color has come back a bit but white spots are increasing. What could this be? I'm at a loss, but I don't want to lose this coral. Thanks in advance...
DSC_0195.JPG
DSC_0194.JPG
20191118_200721.jpg

OP
OP
Mattie H.

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This pic may be clearer... The color is lighter in real life (sorry, cell phone pic), this is more like the color it used to be. Note the white spots at the top.

20191119_200614.jpg

OP
OP
Mattie H.

Mattie H.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalices can put out some wicked sweepers. It definitely could be all rooted from that.

Was my first guess, but the marks in the front and discoloration threw me off. You think the discoloration has anything to do with being stung?

How would u stop this, put some rocks between?

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was my first guess, but the marks in the front and discoloration threw me off. You think the discoloration has anything to do with being stung?

How would u stop this, put some rocks between?
Stinging can stress the entire colony out and cause loss of polyp extension and discoloration. Adding rocks or moving a colony is really the only solution for warfare. Otherwise the strong will win.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalices can put out some wicked sweepers. It definitely could be all rooted from that.

Absolutely. It's almost certain that the hollywood stunner is putting out sweepers that are stinging the other coral at night.

Back