HELP! Fallow periods

akurt928

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, just wondering what recommendations are for fallow periods. Had a complete wipeout about 6 weeks ago. Lost 2 tangs 2 clowns a 6 line and shrimp! Still unsure what caused it. I think it was velvet since it looked like the purple tang had sugar dusted on him. My LFS was convinced it was brooklynella. Either way it sucked. Any recommendations on my next steps. I want to avoid it as much as possible because honestly another wipeout might take me out the hobby completely. Running a skimmer, UV, carbon at the moment with weekly 20% water changes

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, just wondering what recommendations are for fallow periods. Had a complete wipeout about 6 weeks ago. Lost 2 tangs 2 clowns a 6 line and shrimp! Still unsure what caused it. I think it was velvet since it looked like the purple tang had sugar dusted on him. My LFS was convinced it was brooklynella. Either way it sucked. Any recommendations on my next steps. I want to avoid it as much as possible because honestly another wipeout might take me out the hobby completely. Running a skimmer, UV, carbon at the moment with weekly 20% water changes

Turn up the heat to 82 and go 45 days.

Or 86 if you dare :)

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a picture this could help. Varying thing say 48-hours to one week without host, but can eat on other hosts. Other place says 6 weeks+. For brooklynella that is.

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished a fallow period of 76 days according to Jays advice who is the author of the 45 day fallow period article above. He said with a bigger die off of livestock, sometimes a 76 day fallow is a bit safer at 27 degrees Celsius. I’m really hoping that it’s gone well. For me it was both velvet and ich but nonetheless 76 days should be your max with the temperature turned up, provided your corals can deal with it. I completely understand what you’re going through and those thoughts went through my mind as well. I would recommend 76 days if you said you had a big wipeout but Jay would know what would be more appropriate for your tank than I would. Good luck with it!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back