Help first power outage!!!

Droberts0724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have back up will only last another 4 mins...have wave pump on...what should I do. Tank temp is at 76.8 right now but it's freezing outside and they are hopingbto have power back on in less than 2 hours :( help any suggestions. Have a 32 gallon nano and also have a back up bubbler stone

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of system do you have? A simple tank with powerheads, heater, and a hob filter or a full blown skimmer, sump, return pump?
Regarding unplug the heater and lights they waste juice quick and aren't needed short term. Tanks can go days without either. Also unplug skimmer if you have one. If you have a hob filter unplug that and when power comes back on CLEAN AND EMPTY BEFORE RESTARTING or you will nuke the tank. Leave a powerhead or 2 on and if you have a return pump that needs to stay on. I keep a battery powered air pump for these cases that little surface agitation will keep the tank on life support quite awhile

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're all good for 2 hours for sure!

If it starts getting longer and longer and you need to heat the tank you can heat up water bottles like you would a baby bottle back in the day, if you can still use your stove. And just drop the warm water bottles in the tank to float and that should keep you warm as long as you need. The airstone you have will be enough for movement ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Droberts0724

Droberts0724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of system do you have? A simple tank with powerheads, heater, and a hob filter or a full blown skimmer, sump, return pump?
Regarding unplug the heater and lights they waste juice quick and aren't needed short term. Tanks can go days without either. Also unplug skimmer if you have one. If you have a hob filter unplug that and when power comes back on CLEAN AND EMPTY BEFORE RESTARTING or you will nuke the tank. Leave a powerhead or 2 on and if you have a return pump that needs to stay on. I keep a battery powered air pump for these cases that little surface agitation will keep the tank on life support quite awhile
That's what I have battery back up bubbler

OP
OP
Droberts0724

Droberts0724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I have battery back up bubbler

15761628066965143122202288716642.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im actually selling my large smart ups 1500s due to the runtime issues from the large inverter. The batteries inside have been salvaged and wired to run my ecotech pumps. They easily outlast any battery backup. Even the ecotech backups as these batteries are larger. Hoping to get atleast a solid 90hrs of runtime at 20% speed.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have back up will only last another 4 mins...have wave pump on...what should I do. Tank temp is at 76.8 right now but it's freezing outside and they are hopingbto have power back on in less than 2 hours :( help any suggestions. Have a 32 gallon nano and also have a back up bubbler stone
Should be fine had power shut off because california and my tank did fine for 16+ hours overnight with nothing running have also forgot to plug my heater back after cleaning equipment had my tank drop to 65 overnight and only lost a couple snails

OP
OP
Droberts0724

Droberts0724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im actually selling my large smart ups 1500s due to the runtime issues from the large inverter. The batteries inside have been salvaged and wired to run my ecotech pumps. They easily outlast any battery backup. Even the ecotech backups as these batteries are larger. Hoping to get atleast a solid 90hrs of runtime at 20% speed.
Yes definitely will invest in something bigger for my 150 gallon new set up

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes definitely will invest in something bigger for my 150 gallon new set up
You dont necissarily need something bigger.
These are small 4x6" batteries and would run a couple vortech pumps easily without using all the batteries energy to power the large AC inverter thats not really needed anyways.

You just need to slightly modify the factory fused ecotech battery backup cable to attach directly to the neg and positive terminals.

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cobalt makes some nice air pumps that you can use with an airstone and are battery operated. Not sure if any stores around you carry it though.

If power is only going to be gone for a couple hours, I wouldn't worry too much about heat unless your ambient temp is really cold. Keep an eye on the temp in the ta. you can cover the tank with some blankets or bubble wrap/cellophane if you have some, or even big garbage bags. If the temp is dropping too much, you can also boil some water from the tank and add that in slowly.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.7%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 90 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back