Help! First time dealing with ich/velvet/brooklynella!

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed today that my royal gramma's face is kinda whiter than usual, and he keeps scratching against the rocks. Even though he tends to hide in the rocks a lot, he's just been laying in the corner for most of the day (if I shoo him away he goes back to the corner).

Now I'm a bit worried that my clownfish have it too! I'm not sure if they do, but they seem to have a whiter face too now. Despite this, they're still very active and are eating normally.

The other fish I have is a YWG (he looks fine) and a small female lyretail anthias (holding it for a friend but looks fine too).

Can you guys help me figure out what it is, and what I should do? I do have a 3 gallon tank I could use to quarantine, but should I quarantine ALL the fish or just the sick ones?
I do also have cupramine and erythromycin on hand. Should I use those?

Any help is EXTREMELY appreciated!!!!

20221028_203215.jpg 20221028_203242.jpg 20221028_203321.jpg 20221028_203348.jpg 20221028_203355_HDR.jpg 20221028_203406.jpg

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for poopy pics. It was hard to take good pictures of them :/

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very suspicious of velvet. No defined spots, but hazy appearance.

When was the most recent addition to the tank?

The clown looks like it's putting a lot of effort into 'breathing'.

These fish all need prompt treatment.

Removal to quarantine tank and copper treatment. Expect losses. That Gramma does not look well.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t make the pics out well enough on my phone but guessing someone else will chime in.

You would QT ALL fish but a 3g is not large enough. Ammonia would just be a struggle.

However, The QT tank does not need to be glass (though that helps with being able to observe fish). I have done it in Rubbermaid plastic tubs.

Start making water now for QT and find something larger to house them as it does not look good. I would try for 15-20g tub.

Buying biospira to quickly cycle it will also help. A sponge filter would provide flow and also somewhere for the bacteria to live.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was able to blow up pics which are somewhat fuzzy but signs point to brooklynella with secondary infections.
The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus. You may notice loss of appetite, fish may scraping up against objects, rapid respiration developing, and fish often gasping for air at the surface then becomming lethargic.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

BEFORE BEGINNING TREATMENT, PLEASE POST CLEARER PICS UNDER WHITE LIGHTING TO CONFIRM.

This blowup shows mucus and buildup

1667016436970.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is unclear.

IF - the royal gramma is upside-down - as it appears? in the pictures - that is an extremely bad sign. More history is needed. In the mean time - I would set up a QT tank immediately (even if its a 5 gallon bucket - and prepare to treat with medication. Brooklynella is treated differently than ICH EDIT - /velvet/ - and thus it's important for more information.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS while typing - I did not see @vetteguy53081 's response. IMHO - it could be brooylynella on both fish - I do not see ICH per se. Are the fish breathing rapidly, eating, etc - Pictures are nearly impossible to make a diagnosis. And A severe velvet infection will also cause think mucus - as will chemical injury etc etc. I posted a link - with questions you can try to answer to help us help you

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t make the pics out well enough on my phone but guessing someone else will chime in.

You would QT ALL fish but a 3g is not large enough. Ammonia would just be a struggle.

However, The QT tank does not need to be glass (though that helps with being able to observe fish). I have done it in Rubbermaid plastic tubs.

Start making water now for QT and find something larger to house them as it does not look good. I would try for 15-20g tub.

Buying biospira to quickly cycle it will also help. A sponge filter would provide flow and also somewhere for the bacteria to live.
Actually I do have 10 gallons of fresh saltwater mixing right now in a rubbermaid tub. I was originally going to use it for a WC tomorrow. Can I use that?
Also I do have API stress zyme, no biospira. Could that work?

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very suspicious of velvet. No defined spots, but hazy appearance.

When was the most recent addition to the tank?

The clown looks like it's putting a lot of effort into 'breathing'.

These fish all need prompt treatment.

Removal to quarantine tank and copper treatment. Expect losses. That Gramma does not look well.
Most recent fish is the lyretail. Before her was the royal gramma, but it showed no signs of infection. I've had it for about a month now too.. How strange

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Actually I do have 10 gallons of fresh saltwater mixing right now in a rubbermaid tub. I was originally going to use it for a WC tomorrow. Can I use that?
Also I do have API stress zyme, no biospira. Could that work?
Yes you can and forget the stress zone which won’t do anything especially in marine application

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can use stresszyme - but it is a temporary fix. Its a bit of a different kind of bacteria

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
PS while typing - I did not see @vetteguy53081 's response. IMHO - it could be brooylynella on both fish - I do not see ICH per se. Are the fish breathing rapidly, eating, etc - Pictures are nearly impossible to make a diagnosis. And A severe velvet infection will also cause think mucus - as will chemical injury etc etc. I posted a link - with questions you can try to answer to help us help you
Velvet is a flagellate and won’t get that large

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes you can and forget the stress zone which won’t do anything especially in marine application
Stresszyme can be used in both fresh and saltwater. It contains nitrifiers as well as other bacteria for 'cleaning' - which you do not need. If you are going to use it - definitely (and in any case) - increase aeration

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Stresszyme can be used in both fresh and saltwater. It contains nitrifiers as well as other bacteria for 'cleaning' - which you do not need. If you are going to use it - definitely (and in any case) - increase aeration
zyme = culture
Stress- does nothing for stress
Just another snake oil as Melafix and pimafix

for qt, bio block or bacterial culture mentioned by Tamberav more effective in seeding

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Velvet is a flagellate and won’t get that large
Sorry - don't get your point. We both said the same thing - need better pictures. The Gramma looks quite sick. The clowns need to know their symptoms. Not sure about the comment about flagellates.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
zyme = culture

for qt, bio block or bacterial culture mentioned by Tamberav more effective in seeding
Sorry you have a prejudice against bacteria in a bottle. I gave my opinion. It stands - The bottle contains bacteria - that can help with nitrification. Just like Biospira. BTW - I know greek and Latin - and English - so I know what stress means LOL:). And I know what Zyme means - and it does not mean 'culture' - it means basically in this sense 'bacteria'.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Sorry - don't get your point. We both said the same thing - need better pictures. The Gramma looks quite sick. The clowns need to know their symptoms. Not sure about the comment about flagellates.
Velvet is a single cell flagellate that causes disease hence its powdery appearance made up of spores rather than theronts

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zyme = culture

I'm pretty sure its the same thing as waste away, fritz 460, microbacter clean, etc. So it isn't something the OP should just throw away but yes it won't be an ammonia removal solution

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back