Help! First time dealing with ich/velvet/brooklynella!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How effective is this medication?
That is a peroxide salt. It is also a bit hit or miss, but peroxides do have a mention in the scientific literature for treating protozoans.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've already ordered ruby reef and will be starting treatment for it tomorrow. Can I use formalin along with ruby reef? What brand of formalin?
Formalin is so restricted now, you likely won’t find it. Trouble is, that’s what I have the most experience with for Brook.
Jay

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin is so restricted now, you likely won’t find it. Trouble is, that’s what I have the most experience with for Brook.
Jay
Question for anyone to answer:

I've been looking more into fish treatment for parasites and some people recommended to use Ruby Rally for 3 days and then treat QT with paraguard and metroplex for the remaining time in QT.

Is this a good idea? If it is then I'll order the meds tonight so they arrive Monday.
I was looking for formalin last night actually and I came across this. Is this what you've been talking about?

Also, do you mind answering my question about paraguard and metroplex?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking for formalin last night actually and I came across this. Is this what you've been talking about?

Yes - that product is the same as used in fish medications (<15% methanol). There are two ways to dose it; 25 ppm daily as a static bath for five days (with partial water changes before each dose if needed) or daily formalin dips at 150-167 ppm for 45 minutes with good aeration.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't think Metronidazole is very effective against Brook. Paraguard *should* effective, it is an aldehyde and malachite green, but I've not used it myself for this issue.

Jay

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think Metronidazole is very effective against Brook. Paraguard *should* effective, it is an aldehyde and malachite green, but I've not used it myself for this issue.

Jay
Hmm, maybe itd be worth a shot then.

Also, in this post that humblefish did for brook, he mentioned using metroplex for the parasite. Could I use both metroplex and paraguard in this case (or just metroplex)?

Or should I just simply stick to using ruby reef rally for the whole QT process?

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, maybe itd be worth a shot then.

Also, in this post that humblefish did for brook, he mentioned using metroplex for the parasite. Could I use both metroplex and paraguard in this case (or just metroplex)?

Or should I just simply stick to using ruby reef rally for the whole QT process?
I’m not a fan of ruby reef especially after their formulation change. Metro doesn’t work well for me either. Do you have access to chloroquine?
Jay

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a fan of ruby reef especially after their formulation change. Metro doesn’t work well for me either. Do you have access to chloroquine?
Jay
I don't have any on hand but I could look for some. What brands do you recommend?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a quick look....if you are in the US, you probably won't be able to find chloroquine. I should caution you that you need to get some treatment started ASAP. Due to the lag time on the forum, I'm afraid you will lose fish while we are talking about what meds to use.....

Jay

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a quick look....if you are in the US, you probably won't be able to find chloroquine. I should caution you that you need to get some treatment started ASAP. Due to the lag time on the forum, I'm afraid you will lose fish while we are talking about what meds to use.....

Jay
I'm trying my best to do things as quickly as I can, but I've been running into some problems.

1. I did set up my quarantine tank, but the tank suddenly started to leak and I lost all 10 gallons of water.. I had to make a new batch last night. I got a new tank and will be doing it again today.

2. I've been able to catch the two clownfish in the DT, but the anthias and YWG are very difficult to catch. I can't tear down the rocks because they're full of coral and sponges. So far I've been using a soda bottle trap for them. Any other ideas on catching them?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying my best to do things as quickly as I can, but I've been running into some problems.

1. I did set up my quarantine tank, but the tank suddenly started to leak and I lost all 10 gallons of water.. I had to make a new batch last night. I got a new tank and will be doing it again today.

2. I've been able to catch the two clownfish in the DT, but the anthias and YWG are very difficult to catch. I can't tear down the rocks because they're full of coral and sponges. So far I've been using a soda bottle trap for them. Any other ideas on catching them?
Did you ever do a FW dip on the clowns? That would buy you some time. If you got the ruby reef, I would dose that now - it won’t hurt and might help.
Jay

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever do a FW dip on the clowns? That would buy you some time. If you got the ruby reef, I would dose that now - it won’t hurt and might help.
Jay
I'm doing the FW dip as we speak. Should I dose the ruby reef to the DT, or should I just make a bath for the fish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing the FW dip as we speak. Should I dose the ruby reef to the DT, or should I just make a bath for the fish?
That’s a toss up really. If you could dip and move to a clean tank, that would be best. Otherwise, I guess I’d be inclined to dose the tank.
Jay

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a toss up really. If you could dip and move to a clean tank, that would be best. Otherwise, I guess I’d be inclined to dose the tank.
Jay
Did a FW dip today on clowns. They seem to be okay so far.

I'm going to take out my rocks tomorrow and get out the last remaining fish. I'll then dip them in ruby reef and put them in the clean QT.

Hopefully moving the rocks isn't a huge hassle :/

b0bburg3r

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Formaldehyde 37% High Purity...

A link from humble fish. I hope this is the right stuff.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formaldehyde 37% High Purity...

A link from humble fish. I hope this is the right stuff.

Yes, I've seen that Amazon listing, that will work. However, the cost is crazy high! You can get a full gallon for just a few dollars more:

The trouble is, it needs to ship via ground and they will not ship to private individuals.

Jay

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 17 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back