Help! First time dealing with ich/velvet/brooklynella!

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20221029-075447_Chrome.jpg

Use this

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for anyone to answer..

I just saw that ruby rally pro can technically be put into a reef environment because it's safe with fish, plants, corals and invertebrates. Even though I know a QT is the best option, how bad would it be if I were to dose the whole DT with ruby rally?

It contains formalin which Is technically not reef safe and is a cancer causing agent… but it is likely such a low concentration that one does not always see effects on inverts.

If you look up formalin you can see heavy warnings of toxicity. Personally I don’t put that kind of stuff in my reef at any dose no matter if it worked for someone or not.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for anyone to answer..

I just saw that ruby rally pro can technically be put into a reef environment because it's safe with fish, plants, corals and invertebrates. Even though I know a QT is the best option, how bad would it be if I were to dose the whole DT with ruby rally?
I’m just seeing this thread.

I really don’t have enough data to make a diagnosis….clearer photos and video would help. I also didn’t see where the fish’s respiration rate was noted - that is a key diagnostic here.
Did I read that you lost an anthias? That could be related.
You can add ruby reef it to a reef, but the dose is adjusted down (compared to a dip) to make it safer for invertebrates, but that makes it less effective against parasites.
Jay

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It contains formalin which Is technically not reef safe and is a cancer causing agent… but it is likely such a low concentration that one does not always see effects on inverts.

If you look up formalin you can see heavy warnings of toxicity. Personally I don’t put that kind of stuff in my reef at any dose no matter if it worked for someone or not.
Ah I see. I was just curious if it was safe for it or not. I wouldn't risk the hundreds of dollars of marine life I have lol

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m just seeing this thread.

I really don’t have enough data to make a diagnosis….clearer photos and video would help. I also didn’t see where the fish’s respiration rate was noted - that is a key diagnostic here.
Did I read that you lost an anthias? That could be related.
You can add ruby reef it to a reef, but the dose is adjusted down (compared to a dip) to make it safer for invertebrates, but that makes it less effective against parasites.
Jay
I'm going to be taking more pictures and a video today. I'll be posting it here soon.

And yes, I did lose an anthias. I wonder if it was related too, but I'm not sure because she didn't look the same as the other fish. She didn't have the white face, wasn't scratching on anything either. Only thing I saw was this wound that suddenly appeared on her tail.

It appeared as a small white line on her tail and then the next day it was a full on wound. Not long after that is when she died

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news. Royal gramma has passed away this morning. This sickness is worse than I thought.

I'm going to do what I can to save the other fish before the medicine comes in tomorrow. How long should I dip them in freshwater?

Attachments

• Snapchat-1997346313.mp4
    17.7 MB
  • Snapchat-644539029.mp4
    17.7 MB

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be taking more pictures and a video today. I'll be posting it here soon.

And yes, I did lose an anthias. I wonder if it was related too, but I'm not sure because she didn't look the same as the other fish. She didn't have the white face, wasn't scratching on anything either. Only thing I saw was this wound that suddenly appeared on her tail.

It appeared as a small white line on her tail and then the next day it was a full on wound. Not long after that is when she died

Anthias are prone to urenoma, may have been that. It might be you have more then one disease happening.

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias are prone to urenoma, may have been that. It might be you have more then one disease happening.
I have heard of that for anthias. The other fish don't have sores on them though, but the mucus on them (well so far only the clowns are affected. Other anthias and YWG are fine as of now).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad news. Royal gramma has passed away this morning. This sickness is worse than I thought.

I'm going to do what I can to save the other fish before the medicine comes in tomorrow. How long should I dip them in freshwater?

The clown has some skin lesions, is breathing a bit fast, and is coughing. Trouble is, that can be symptoms of three different issues: Brooklynella, skin flukes or, less likely, velvet.

A 5 minute freshwater dip would buy you some time if it is Brooklynella or flukes.

I'm worried though that now two fish have died. My general advice to people is that once fish loss has begun with a disease issue, additional losses are likely because any treatment is going to take time, and in this case, you aren't getting medication until tomorrow.

Jay

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown has some skin lesions, is breathing a bit fast, and is coughing. Trouble is, that can be symptoms of three different issues: Brooklynella, skin flukes or, less likely, velvet.

A 5 minute freshwater dip would buy you some time if it is Brooklynella or flukes.

I'm worried though that now two fish have died. My general advice to people is that once fish loss has begun with a disease issue, additional losses are likely because any treatment is going to take time, and in this case, you aren't getting medication until tomorrow.

Jay
This is what I've been worried about.. All this happened in literally the span of a few days. I had nothing ready.

At first I didn't think too much when the anthias died yesterday (thought maybe she got hurt by something), but now that the gramma died this morning and my clowns are more whitish.. I'm very worried.

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
In case the worst happens and all my fish die... How long should the tank go fallow?
I do still have inverts and corals in there, are they okay to stay?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case the worst happens and all my fish die... How long should the tank go fallow?
I do still have inverts and corals in there, are they okay to stay?
Yes, the inverts can stay. How long to let the tank remain empty of fish depends on your level of risk and the water temperature. If you are risk averse and the tank is below 79 degrees, I would let it fallow for 75 days. If the tank temperature is warmer and you can accept some risk, 60 days is good. I don't think I would go any less than that (45 days does work in some cases of ich though).

Remember though - any fallow period can/will fail if you then put non-quarantined fish back into the tank!

Jay

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the inverts can stay. How long to let the tank remain empty of fish depends on your level of risk and the water temperature. If you are risk averse and the tank is below 79 degrees, I would let it fallow for 75 days. If the tank temperature is warmer and you can accept some risk, 60 days is good. I don't think I would go any less than that (45 days does work in some cases of ich though).

Remember though - any fallow period can/will fail if you then put non-quarantined fish back into the tank!

Jay
My tank is usually about 80°F but I think I'll go for 75 days just to make sure all the parasites are dead. Once the tank is better and my fish are better (hopefully I can save them!) after 75 days, I'll put them back into the DT.

From now on I think I'm going to buy my fish from Dr. Reef's quarantined fish and do an additional week or two of QT at my house. I never want my babies to go through this pain again.

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Another question though.

I found a 10 gallon tank in the garage, so I'm going to use that as my QT tank for the remaining 4 fish in the tank.
Should I treat them with the ruby rally pro the entire 75 days the DT is fallow, or how long do they need to be medicated?
Also, how often do I have to do water changes in the QT while I'm medicating the fish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question though.

I found a 10 gallon tank in the garage, so I'm going to use that as my QT tank for the remaining 4 fish in the tank.
Should I treat them with the ruby rally pro the entire 75 days the DT is fallow, or how long do they need to be medicated?
Also, how often do I have to do water changes in the QT while I'm medicating the fish?
You should only treat ruby reef rally pro until the symptoms abate or dictated by then
Instructions. Please be aware that it doesn’t always work, I’m not a big fan.
Water changes in the QT can be on the order of 25% per month unless the ammonia is high or some other parameter is out of whack.
Jay

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should only treat ruby reef rally pro until the symptoms abate or dictated by then
Instructions. Please be aware that it doesn’t always work, I’m not a big fan.
Water changes in the QT can be on the order of 25% per month unless the ammonia is high or some other parameter is out of whack.
Jay
If ruby rally isn't the best, then what medication do you suggest?

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi if it is flukes and formalin if it is Brooklynella.
Jay
Well I've already ordered ruby reef and will be starting treatment for it tomorrow. Can I use formalin along with ruby reef? What brand of formalin?

OP
OP
1Meshy

1Meshy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for anyone to answer:

I've been looking more into fish treatment for parasites and some people recommended to use Ruby Rally for 3 days and then treat QT with paraguard and metroplex for the remaining time in QT.

Is this a good idea? If it is then I'll order the meds tonight so they arrive Monday.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 18.7%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 44 41.1%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 15.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back