Salinity 1.0.25
Alk: 8.33
CA: 412
Mag:1302
Temp 78.9
PH 8.29
Nitrate 3.2
Phosphate .04

Last night I lost a Anthias. Thought it had popeye but this morning it was dead. It could be coincidental to my coral issues or related. I do have a flame angle that is becoming quite the bully in the tank.

My bigger concern is I have noticed many of my corals starting to turn for the worse. I am definitely seeing my zoas stop growing and slowly starting to melt. I have noticed they are closed up a lot and my grow our frag disks are losing heads. The big colonies appear to not be as full. Not sure if its die off or the polyps are not as full. I feel like it related to the lower Nitrate and Phosphate. My tank is starting get to the point were it can suck up some nutrients. I slowed my pellet feeder from 4 times a day twice a day and continued my daily mysis about a month ago. I was starting to get GHA and my phosphates where around .12 GHA is pretty much gone now but I wonder if I need more nutrients for the zoas?

My SPS are in a weird state. Some are doing well some are not doing well. One in particular.
PXL_20220212_024301140.jpg

Its been on the decline for the last couple weeks. It was my fastest grower and bright green. I'm not sure what would cause it to die off. Should I cut out the dying parts or hope for the best? Should I frag a good piece incase it continues to die. Is this bleaching or STN or something else?

I havent change my lights or done any major water changes or dosing.

Please let me know you thoughts. I have other corals that are super healthy and look great. I had a hammer that has been in my tank for about 3 months die an a couple days.

Jaredtexas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tank:
180G mixed reef - 1 year 9 months old
Auto water change 1.8 gal daily
Neptune Trident for ALK, CA, Mag
Weekly (Mondays) Hanna testing for Nitrate and Phosphate
Dose daily (spread over 24hrs with DOS) 63ml All for Reef
Salinity 1.0.25
Alk: 8.33
CA: 412
Mag:1302
Temp 78.9
PH 8.29
Nitrate 3.2
Phosphate .04

Last night I lost a Anthias. Thought it had popeye but this morning it was dead. It could be coincidental to my coral issues or related. I do have a flame angle that is becoming quite the bully in the tank.

My bigger concern is I have noticed many of my corals starting to turn for the worse. I am definitely seeing my zoas stop growing and slowly starting to melt. I have noticed they are closed up a lot and my grow our frag disks are losing heads. The big colonies appear to not be as full. Not sure if its die off or the polyps are not as full. I feel like it related to the lower Nitrate and Phosphate. My tank is starting get to the point were it can suck up some nutrients. I slowed my pellet feeder from 4 times a day twice a day and continued my daily mysis about a month ago. I was starting to get GHA and my phosphates where around .12 GHA is pretty much gone now but I wonder if I need more nutrients for the zoas?

My SPS are in a weird state. Some are doing well some are not doing well. One in particular.
PXL_20220212_024301140.jpg

Its been on the decline for the last couple weeks. It was my fastest grower and bright green. I'm not sure what would cause it to die off. Should I cut out the dying parts or hope for the best? Should I frag a good piece incase it continues to die. Is this bleaching or STN or something else?

I havent change my lights or done any major water changes or dosing.

Please let me know you thoughts. I have other corals that are super healthy and look great. I had a hammer that has been in my tank for about 3 months die an a couple days.
Did you recently open a new bucket of salt?

OP
OP
T

tc760

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you recently open a new bucket of salt?
Not sure how to answer that. I use Reef Crystals 200G box. I am on my second of 4 bags. I premix about 50 Gal for the auto water change. I would say its been about 2 weeks on this batch of water. My RODI filters were all changed end of October 2021. RODI is testing 0 -2 TDS depending where I take the water sample.

Jaredtexas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how to answer that. I use Reef Crystals 200G box. I am on my second of 4 bags. I premix about 50 Gal for the auto water change. I would say its been about 2 weeks on this batch of water. My RODI filters were all changed end of October 2021. RODI is testing 0 -2 TDS depending where I take the water sample.
Sometimes when things randomly start dying for no known reason it’s a bad batch of salt.

Jaredtexas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I would check for stray voltage

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 29 53.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.7%
Back