HELP, fish dropping like flies

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.
I have a peninsula 500 134G. It's stocked with coral and fish. Last week I did testing ans everything was normal except nitrate was high at near 40 so I did a LARGE water change, ans ordered nopox to start.

Nopox is arriving tonight, but yesterday the cleaner wrasse died and my gem tang eyes are cloudy and my tangs seem skiddish and not eager to eat like usuall. Today I woke up to my blue hippo trying to die (as of this second still alive) and my gem tang not looking great. Hard to tell from photo but blue hippos skin is looking strange. Almost like ribs are showing through. Powder blue I found dead with a wierd white blotching on the body. Any help or advise is GREATLY appreciated.

Screenshot_20231117_093951_Snapchat.jpg 20231117_094013.jpg 20231117_093900.jpg 20231117_093856.jpg 20231113_154142.jpg 20231113_154134.jpg 20231113_154128.jpg

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only fish affected? Coral and inverts are fine? This would rule out a water quality issue.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some SPS, so you can rule out water quality issues.

Do the fish show rapid breathing?
If you aren’t sure, you can post a video and I can tell you.

Do you have a fish treatment tank available?

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello.
I have a peninsula 500 134G. It's stocked with coral and fish. Last week I did testing ans everything was normal except nitrate was high at near 40 so I did a LARGE water change, ans ordered nopox to start.

Nopox is arriving tonight, but yesterday the cleaner wrasse died and my gem tang eyes are cloudy and my tangs seem skiddish and not eager to eat like usuall. Today I woke up to my blue hippo trying to die (as of this second still alive) and my gem tang not looking great. Hard to tell from photo but blue hippos skin is looking strange. Almost like ribs are showing through. Powder blue I found dead with a wierd white blotching on the body. Any help or advise is GREATLY appreciated.

Screenshot_20231117_093951_Snapchat.jpg 20231117_094013.jpg 20231117_093900.jpg 20231117_093856.jpg 20231113_154142.jpg 20231113_154134.jpg 20231113_154128.jpg
The markings appear to be velvet . If true, some signs you would have noticed are :
- Scratching body against hard objects
- Fish is lethargic
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Rapid, labored breathing
- Fins clamped against the body
- rapid breathing and mucus around the gills

Agree with Jay for need for video under white light intensity for clear assessment.

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? How many fish have died? When was the last fish added to the tank?

#fishmedics
Tank was set up in July using amonia dosing. 1st batch was late August, second batch ( tangs) was beginning Oct. Just Cleaner shrimp and cleaner wrasse to treat ich in mid OCT. Wrasse and shrimp had been quarantined for over 2 months in copper. The ich dicipated with them and metroplex.

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some SPS, so you can rule out water quality issues.

Do the fish show rapid breathing?
If you aren’t sure, you can post a video and I can tell you.

Do you have a fish treatment tank available?

Jay
I do see rapid breathing, fogging of eyes, and the blue hippo looks to have wierd pattern on skin.
Np I do not have treatment tank available. Dr.reef quarantined did 99% my fish

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The markings appear to be velvet . If true, some signs you would have noticed are :
- Fish is lethargic

Agree with Jay for need for video under white light intensity for clear assessment.
They have been doing dive bombs itching against the tibunara rocks. I do see rapid breathing and fogging eyes from the tangs.
- Fish is lethargic

They have been dive bombing the tibunara rock to itch occasionally. The tangs havnt really been eating. They do have rapid breathing and eye fogging. The dsardini skin looks wierd with black specles. I don't see mucus or Finns clamped. I have been playing and soaking metroplex and vitamin C in there algae clip, is there another treatment I can feed or add to tank? I don't have availability for auwarenteen. Only a 10 gallon spare tank I was using for copopod culture.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do see rapid breathing, fogging of eyes, and the blue hippo looks to have wierd pattern on skin.
Np I do not have treatment tank available. Dr.reef quarantined did 99% my fish

Ugh - this could be velvet, Amyloodinium. That is really impossible to treat without a treatment tank. Coppersafe works, as does hydrogen peroxide (dips, and then move the fish to a fresh tank).

A video might help me confirm this.

Jay

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh - this could be velvet, Amyloodinium. That is really impossible to treat without a treatment tank. Coppersafe works, as does hydrogen peroxide (dips, and then move the fish to a fresh tank).

A video might help me confirm this.

Jay
Everything I'm reading matches up:/ I see fresh-dip and buying the quick quarantine stuff which I can do today but unfortunately there's no way for me to get a second tank other than that 10:/ the wrasse looks like he has powder all over him Hensel why I thought ich.

Attachments

• 20231117_111729.mp4
    75 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They have been doing dive bombs itching against the tibunara rocks. I do see rapid breathing and fogging eyes from the tangs.

They have been dive bombing the tibunara rock to itch occasionally. The tangs havnt really been eating. They do have rapid breathing and eye fogging. The dsardini skin looks wierd with black specles. I don't see mucus or Finns clamped. I have been playing and soaking metroplex and vitamin C in there algae clip, is there another treatment I can feed or add to tank? I don't have availability for auwarenteen. Only a 10 gallon spare tank I was using for copopod culture.
Ditch the metro especially if you are just applying it as it is easy to misuse and must be applied at .05gm by weight which is very tiny. Vitamin C good for immunity system but not a cure. Ultimately a sterile quarantine tank with coppersafe at 2.25 and added aeration will put you in the right direction. There may be more , hence the request for clear video of at least 30 seconds. BLACK SPECS CAN BE TURBULLIAN WORMS (sorry for cape) but video again will offer best assessment

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank can be any vessel that can hold water. 5G bucket etc...not ideal but better than nothing

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank can be any vessel that can hold water. 5G bucket etc...not ideal but better than nothing
If there in 5 g bucket with aeration and ato for copper, how long can these larger tangs be in there? Wouldn't it be to small for em?

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditch the metro especially if you are just applying it as it is easy to misuse and must be applied at .05gm by weight which is very tiny. Vitamin C good for immunity system but not a cure. Ultimately a sterile quarantine tank with coppersafe at 2.25 and added aeration will put you in the right direction. There may be more , hence the request for clear video of at least 30 seconds. BLACK SPECS CAN BE TURBULLIAN WORMS (sorry for cape) but video again will offer best assessment
I placed a video on my last reply ( looks like photo but if you click it should show). The other gent brought up using a 5 gallon bucket and set it up as quarantine for ato and go obtain copper. How long can they be in there? My gem tang is a pretty big boy.
Thank you for your help seriously just tryna save this tank

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there in 5 g bucket with aeration and ato for copper, how long can these larger tangs be in there? Wouldn't it be to small for em?

Not really suitable for the large tangs, but perhaps the wrasse or other smaller fish.

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really suitable for the large tangs, but perhaps the wrasse or other smaller fish.
Ugh I'm just trying to work a solution. So far I understand, to fresh dip, then run in copper. How long is the ideal time for copper in something seeperate? With aeration and filter. Is there anything else I should add? Meds for the display? Any other dips? Really don't want to loose anymore....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back