OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sort of discoloration is pretty commonly seen as a post-mortem artifact, did it look like this before it died?

Jay
Some of the white circle but not the full size.
The gem tang in quarantine has white like then across his sides and head like a ring.

Still struggling to catch the wrasse chromis etc but they all look to be fine. Even the small biota yellow tang looks great

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on gem in querentine

Attachments

• 20231119_002313.jpg
    20231119_002313.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 87

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on gem in querentine

Yikes - I'm not sure what that is. There are rare instances where common aquarium bacteria become pathogenic, and this could be one of those cases. That is not the sign of ANY of the parasitical diseases like ich, flukes, etc. That pretty much leaves a bacterial issue.

Do you have access to any gram negative, broad spectrum antibiotics like Neoplex of Kanaplex?

Jay

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes - I'm not sure what that is. There are rare instances where common aquarium bacteria become pathogenic, and this could be one of those cases. That is not the sign of ANY of the parasitical diseases like ich, flukes, etc. That pretty much leaves a bacterial issue.

Do you have access to any gram negative, broad spectrum antibiotics like Neoplex of Kanaplex?

Jay
Hey Jay,

Just started meteoplex, keneplex, and fusion in food. The gem doesn't wanna eat even with putting garlic. I only could catch the gem and 1 chromis so I need to get a fish trap for the rest in the copper system. I'm upping to .5 copper today. The gem looks better other than those stress marks ( dr.reefs querenteen said thays what they are but I dunno). The Midass blenny is still dive bombing rocks to itch himself and wrasse still looks peppered. Everyone else in the tank is good. Just tryna disinfect but I'm feeding keneplex and metroplex in food to my display to clear anything up until there in copper.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay,

Just started meteoplex, keneplex, and fusion in food. The gem doesn't wanna eat even with putting garlic. I only could catch the gem and 1 chromis so I need to get a fish trap for the rest in the copper system. I'm upping to .5 copper today. The gem looks better other than those stress marks ( dr.reefs querenteen said thays what they are but I dunno). The Midass blenny is still dive bombing rocks to itch himself and wrasse still looks peppered. Everyone else in the tank is good. Just tryna disinfect but I'm feeding keneplex and metroplex in food to my display to clear anything up until there in copper.
I’ve seen stress marks in gem tangs, but this looked different to me. Can you post clearer pics? With the stress marks, the texture of the skin is the same as with the normal skin - does this look that way?

Skip the antibiotics in food unless you calculate the dose properly. We have an article on this topic as well as a calculator in the sticky section of the disease forum in case you want to try.

Really though, oral medications are not effective against external infections.

Jay

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen stress marks in gem tangs, but this looked different to me. Can you post clearer pics? With the stress marks, the texture of the skin is the same as with the normal skin - does this look that way?

Skip the antibiotics in food unless you calculate the dose properly. We have an article on this topic as well as a calculator in the sticky section of the disease forum in case you want to try.

Really though, oral medications are not effective against external infections.

Jay
I'm barely adding any just wanted to try to give the boost because even in copper it's been a decline. He's still not eating.
He's got deffinet fading of colors into like a bleach white Grey. I'll try to get better photos, it's tough because that tank doesn't have a light.
I'm getting a fish trap for the others. But even with garlic the gem doesn't seem interested to eating anything. I'm upper the copper tonight as it has been over 48 hours per instructions. At that point I will keep it just below .5.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm barely adding any just wanted to try to give the boost because even in copper it's been a decline. He's still not eating.
He's got deffinet fading of colors into like a bleach white Grey. I'll try to get better photos, it's tough because that tank doesn't have a light.
I'm getting a fish trap for the others. But even with garlic the gem doesn't seem interested to eating anything. I'm upper the copper tonight as it has been over 48 hours per instructions. At that point I will keep it just below .5.
You’re using Cupramine then? That should be run at 0.50 ppm.
Copper takes three days to really start working.
Jay

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re using Cupramine then? That should be run at 0.50 ppm.
Copper takes three days to really start working.
Jay
Yes cupramine. Its at .25 for 48 hours and I'm going to up it .50 in a couple hours.

That is good to know thank you!
Thanks for all your help Jay. Making it possible for light in the chaos mate

mdrobc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were great until I added from aLFS just small inverts and the cleaner wrasse:/
I'd recommend him. The powder blue had no ich or anything for weeks after delivery
Bingo that was probably your route/vector of transfer or whatever this may be. Doesn't need to be much. Go to Home Depot or hardware store and buy a 30g brute and then you can drop a sponge filter in there to areate and additional airstones and at least at min have a crude QT that will work. Have been there before and just set up a 55g tank from PetCo in Oct for same thing...to ensure all new additions are okay. Main tank needs to likely be fallow for 6 weeks thats what the experts are saying on the boards. Agree it sad but the fish in your main tank need to go to QT now or you'll likely keep losing more sadly. Good luck...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo that was probably your route/vector of transfer or whatever this may be. Doesn't need to be much. Go to Home Depot or hardware store and buy a 30g brute and then you can drop a sponge filter in there to areate and additional airstones and at least at min have a crude QT that will work. Have been there before and just set up a 55g tank from PetCo in Oct for same thing...to ensure all new additions are okay. Main tank needs to likely be fallow for 6 weeks thats what the experts are saying on the boards. Agree it sad but the fish in your main tank need to go to QT now or you'll likely keep losing more sadly. Good luck...
Thanks mate,

Ya I set up a 60 querentine with copper. Waiting on fish trap and meantime using keneplex and metro on display in fusion with food.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Powder Blue probably had velvet. They are notorious for it. I lost about 20 fish in 24 hours from a powder blue. It happened about 3 weeks after I got him. I learned my lesson on quarantine and now have 2x 10g cycled and setup and 2x 20gal in a closet in case I need the room. Aqueon has 50% off right now. 10g are like $20. You may want to do the Hybrid TTM on the wrasse. I never had a wrasse make it through copper.

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder Blue probably had velvet. They are notorious for it. I lost about 20 fish in 24 hours from a powder blue. It happened about 3 weeks after I got him. I learned my lesson on quarantine and now have 2x 10g cycled and setup and 2x 20gal in a closet in case I need the room. Aqueon has 50% off right now. 10g are like $20. You may want to do the Hybrid TTM on the wrasse. I never had a wrasse make it through copper.
But see, I had the powder and other tangs over 2 months without a single sign of anything. When he did shoe a little ick after about e weeks, I hit him and other tangs with metroplex infused algae sheets and they were fine within days.
I'll look up aqueous thank you!

OP
OP
Tigerito

Tigerito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious on how everything ended up with your fish?
Hello!
Well, was heavy losses. Like 60-80%. But saved some chromis, a blenny, gem tang and yellow tang. And they have been clear for about 2-3 weeks now without any sort of meds. So much better now thank you!

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Ugh - this could be velvet, Amyloodinium. That is really impossible to treat without a treatment tank. Coppersafe works, as does hydrogen peroxide (dips, and then move the fish to a fresh tank).

A video might help me confirm this.

Jay
Velvet requires instant therapeutic levels to save them. They will most likely die. The quick life cycle version of velvet is absolutely crazy. Velvet though kills so fast even without seeing it on the body. It sucks.

I’m not the fish medic :p but yeah instant copper at correct level

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Yes cupramine. Its at .25 for 48 hours and I'm going to up it .50 in a couple hours.

That is good to know thank you!
Thanks for all your help Jay. Making it possible for light in the chaos mate
do NOT use prime of anything like it with cupramine. It will become extremely toxic and kill the fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back