Help! Freight Dropped My Tank

AJ192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I just received my waterbox. While the freight driver was lowering the tank on the lift 1 corner got caught and it dropped about a foot when it became unstuck. The tank looks fine but I’m extremely worried about putting a 143 gallon tank in my house after knowing it has been dropped. I emailed waterbox tonight but they won’t get back to me until tomorrow, I’ll let you know what they say. Do you have any advice. Do you think this would cause problems in the future. I’m drilling the tank and using my own stand so my warranty is void when I set it up.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I just received my first reef tan. While the freight driver was lowering the waterbox tank on the lift 1 corner got caught and it dropped about a foot when it became unstuck. The tank looks fine but I’m extremely worried about putting a 143 gallon tank in my house after knowing it has been dropped. I also never signed for it so idk if damage was marked. I emailed waterbox tonight but they won’t get back to me until tomorrow, I’ll let you know what they say. Do you have any advice. Do you think this would cause problems in the future. I’m drilling the tank and using my own stand so my warranty is void when I set it up.
Leak check at the least.
Sort of a judgment call, depends on how well the tank was packaged.

OP
OP
A

AJ192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. Depended on packaging it could be fine. Fill it up in your garage and leak test it for a week or more.
Ok thank you I’m gonna wait till they get back to me cause I don’t want to void my warranty not using there stand. If I do keep I’ll definitely test for multiple days. It was only surrounded with 2 layers of cardboard in a wooden crate but the cardboard was crushed. I looked at it for an hour but I couldn’t find any problems except for a tiny chip on the bottom which I might use for them to replace it.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure how they crate their tanks, but the 210 I just received from Custom Aquariums was crated like it was shipping over seas. They used a lot of lumber, foam padding, bracing, etc... I’m not sure if being dropped a foot would cause an issue. I would be mad as heck at the driver for not paying attention to what he/she was doing. When mine was delivered it was mandatory I have two other people besides myself to assist the driver in lowering the tank to the ground with the lift gate.
I’m curious to see what waterbox says. They also told me to refuse delivery if there were any damages. And take detailed photos of the crate and uncrating process.

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox crates the tanks very well I don’t think it’ll be an issue but see what they say. Since you will void the warranty regardless maybe they’ll compensate you by actually getting you a new tank and a pick up slip for that one or some kickback or even better an upgrade to a drilled tank...

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you I’m gonna wait till they get back to me cause I don’t want to void my warranty not using there stand. If I do keep I’ll definitely test for multiple days. It was only surrounded with 2 layers of cardboard in a wooden crate but the cardboard was crushed. I looked at it for an hour but I couldn’t find any problems except for a tiny chip on the bottom which I might use for them to replace it.
Yeah definitely wait to hear back, especially if theres a chip. Leverage for later on

OP
OP
A

AJ192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure how they crate their tanks, but the 210 I just received from Custom Aquariums was crated like it was shipping over seas. They used a lot of lumber, foam padding, bracing, etc... I’m not sure if being dropped a foot would cause an issue. I would be mad as heck at the driver for not paying attention to what he/she was doing. When mine was delivered it was mandatory I have two other people besides myself to assist the driver in lowering the tank to the ground with the lift gate.
I’m curious to see what waterbox says. They also told me to refuse delivery if there were any damages. And take detailed photos of the crate and uncrating process.
Mine just had a wooden box with cardboard but somehow it didn’t break, I’m upset about it though. I guess I’ll see what they say

OP
OP
A

AJ192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waterbox crates the tanks very well I don’t think it’ll be an issue but see what they say. Since you will void the warranty regardless maybe they’ll compensate you by actually getting you a new tank and a pick up slip for that one or some kickback or even better an upgrade to a drilled tank...
A drilled tank would be nice but my basement floors are uneven so I have to custom build a stand. Hopefully they’ll replace it though cause idk how I feel about setting up a dropped rimless tank when I wonder how the silicone even holds it without it being dropped

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
lots of pic's ,sit back relax until tomorrow,would be hesitant to keep w chip,keep us posted :)

OP
OP
A

AJ192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lots of pic's ,sit back relax until tomorrow,would be hesitant to keep w chip,keep us posted :)
I’ll let you know what happens. I was an idiot and didn’t take photos of it wrapped cause i wanted to make sure it wasn’t shattered before the driver left. But I do have a photo my mom took that show it wrapped

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine just had a wooden box with cardboard but somehow it didn’t break, I’m upset about it though. I guess I’ll see what they say
This is what mine came in. I was pretty impressed. Is this about how the water boxes are crated???
E400E63F-6583-48E4-A16A-0F969BDCCEAF.jpeg
14D23F57-91C4-4897-89B1-3539B95F4EDD.jpeg
5733651B-8669-490F-A201-577745C1D861.jpeg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not accept the tank at all, any chip is a risk, No matter the size, you have no way of knowing how far that chip travels through the glass, and with it being on the bottom too, where the most weight is.

OP
OP
A

AJ192

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not accept the tank at all, any chip is a risk, No matter the size, you have no way of knowing how far that chip travels through the glass, and with it being on the bottom too, where the most weight is.
I didn’t see until after he left it was definitely a manufacturer problem though, it’s rly tiny and you can barely feel it so Im not as worried about that as it being dropped

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just more pics for them,hopefully they will give you no problems ;)

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t see until after he left it was definitely a manufacturer problem though, it’s rly tiny and you can barely feel it so Im not as worried about that as it being dropped

I miss understood, I thought you meant the drop caused the chip.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No nothing like that, I would feel comfortable using it if it came like that though, mine was a wooden box with cardboard holding it in place.
Man, that’s terrible about the chip. That part would make me nervous. I sure hope they work with you on it. Do keep us posted!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 65 32.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back