Help - Geo618 with Kamoer FX-STP Pump

jsbzcmcdaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys -

Need some help. I setup my Geo618 calcium reactor a few weeks ago. I was feeding the reactor with a Sicce pump and controlling the effluent with a needle valve. I decided I wanted a little more control so I purchased a Kamoer FX-STP pump. I am trying to set it up but I am having some issues.

1) I disconnected the Sicce feed pump from the input line on the reactor and put the feed line under the water in the sump.
2) I connected the Kamoer pump to the output line on the reactor to pull the effluent out into the sump
3) I am getting a trickle of water out followed by sections of air in the tube so the effluent flow rate is not consistent

Did I hook the Kamoer to the reactor correct and if so what can I do to improve the flow to make it more consistent?
Any other pointers y'all could provide would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you switch from push to pull, you depressurize the reactor and introduce the potential for air leaks into the reactor. A small amount of air in the effluent is going to happen regardless, for instance the undissolved CO2. But if there’s a lot of air you’re seeing even if you turn off the co2 for awhile, you may a small leak. Many, including geo, has proposed that it could be coming from the push connect fittings, or even the uniseal. Some have taken apart the reactor and used silicone grease to help seal these leaks. You can also use silicone tape around the push connect fittings. Or if it’s a small leak, just roll with it, and turn up your peri pump to compensate. The end goal is that the carx maintains alkalinity in a stable/safe fashion. Excess air can also make the circulating pump noisy, so that’s another consideration.

Alternatively, you could use your peri pump to push instead of pull.

Hope this helps!

mborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both a feed pump, to push tank water in and provide a little pressure to the reactor, and the Kamoer FX-STP pump to pull the effluent and dispense to my sump. This has worked great for me and gives a rock-solid drip rate.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read this very informative thread. It goes through a lot of the issues with using a peristaltic pump to pull through an older style GEO calcium reactor, where the recirculation manifold goes through the lid. There are a number of solutions detailed in the thread.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Read this very informative thread. It goes through a lot of the issues with using a peristaltic pump to pull through an older style GEO calcium reactor, where the recirculation manifold goes through the lid. There are a number of solutions detailed in the thread.

This^
Water Dog helped me too!

I just went through this too except on an 818. Drill lid, tap it, add rodi adapter, buy or make (with 3d printer) a silencr.

OP
OP
jsbzcmcdaniel

jsbzcmcdaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys - I read the suggested thread. My issue wasn't air in the chamber but more of a larger air gap in the effluent line. I ended up just running the Kamoer at the highest level to get the air out of the line however half of the line is empty and the water trickles down the line, fills, and in the sump. So far I am no longer getting air coming from the effluent line and the measured effluent is accurate and consistent. After reading the thread, I did end up using the Sicce pump to feed the reactor and the Kamoer to feed the effluent in the sump. Seems like everyone that did this has had success. Thanks all.....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back