Help - Green Cabbage Leather Turning Brown

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a cabbage leather (Sinularia brassica) for about a year and it was growing well, polyp extension was good and a bright green color. Now over the last two days it is slowly turning brown and polyps have closed; it is stressed without a doubt. Doesn't look like pics I've seen of brown jelly disease, but I could be wrong.

Only thing different in tank that I can think of is that I put in a measured amount of Phosguard two weeks ago and phosphates are now approaching 0 - a number which I understand is good for this animal. I've removed it btw. Other parameters: Salinity: 1.025; Ph: 8.2; KH: 8.3; Temp: 79.6; No3: 5;
Cal: 430; and Magnesium: 1300.

I target feed ReefRoids and Coral Frenzy occasionally, as well as feeding fish mysis and brine shrimp, and other frozen foods which circulate in tank. I have not introduced any other coral for many months.

So, maybe water conditions, disease, or possibly chemical warfare with another coral? I'm puzzled and realize this is supposed to be one of the hardiest of corals. Appreciate any thoughts or similar experiences.

I'm going to give it a chance and see if it improves on its own; really not sure that I can do anything.

Cabbage Leather.jpg

OP
OP
Mikedawg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too little nutrient in the water can be bad as well. Softies tend to prefer a "dirty" tank. Even my kenya trees shriveled up when nutrient drop too low.
Yeah, I was also thinking about this. Before I started carbon dosing my corals all looked good and were growing, but I was convinced I needed to lower my nutrients some. Maybe the look of the tank is more important than the associated numbers?
Thanks.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have dropped your phosphates to 0, which some things don't like as well. If you removed the phosguard and are feeding the same they should come back up.
If you suspect coral warfare are you running carbon?
I know leathers sometimes shed. Have you seen it go this color before?

OP
OP
Mikedawg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have dropped your phosphates to 0, which some things don't like as well. If you removed the phosguard and are feeding the same they should come back up.
If you suspect coral warfare are you running carbon?
I know leathers sometimes shed. Have you seen it go this color before?
Good suggestion; kind of hard for me to tell colors on Salifert phosphate kit but know my readings were close to 0 as of yesterday. I am running Matrix carbon just in case. Never had this happen before and was aware of the shedding phenomena but still couldn't explain polyps receding.

I'll feed tank some mysis and squid tonight and try to raise nutrient level a little; hope you're right and it will come back when my conditions return to "normal"

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mikedawg

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, after two weeks of looking like it was on its death bed, I'm beginning to see some bright green areas on my leather and the "brown stuff" is floating off with the current. Guess I just saw the shedding phenomen that I've read about and now think the leather was never in real trouble...........live and learn in this hobby.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back