Help - Green Slimer issue

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I wish my slimer looked that good! Well it does, just no polyp extension. One of these days I'll be rid of that darn flameback angel. Then I might actually start to see some polyps.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I wish my slimer looked that good! Well it does, just no polyp extension. One of these days I'll be rid of that darn flameback angel. Then I might actually start to see some polyps.
Yep. Had to remove my pygmy for the same reason. Model fish for 3 months then!!!!.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines a model citizen, and i have never seen it actually take a bite of any coral. You just know being an angel it does the occasional swim-by nipping.

All my SPS start with huge polyp extension, then they slowly start not coming out, to only coming out at night when the lights are off and the angel is sleeping. Other then no polyps, I get great growth and color.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines a model citizen, and i have never seen it actually take a bite of any coral. You just know being an angel it does the occasional swim-by nipping.

All my SPS start with huge polyp extension, then they slowly start not coming out, to only coming out at night when the lights are off and the angel is sleeping. Other then no polyps, I get great growth and color.
Yep had same results. Unless you can watch the tank all day you may not see it. When I removed mine within a week all polyps were out and full during the day.
A couple only come out at night but they alway did that.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the slimmer. I have 2 in my 120 for over 6 months with no vertical growth. Good encrusting though.
They just started to show growth nubs a week ago.
Have a purple stag that went from 1.5" to over 8" with branching growth and not much encrusting in the same time frame.
Alot of slimmers, like the one I got from lfs take awhile to see vertical growth. In the lfs 500 gallon display the slimmer took a year of encrusting before it took off and is now getting huge in a short period of time.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Luckily, I don't have anything that would nip. Or so I have never seen. Wondering if the Damsel caused some irritation?

Could it be the switch from Reef Crystals to Tropic Marin pro? I do match my mixing barrel to proper temp and ALK before water changes so I don't think a swing caused it. I have a Trident and parameters have been consistent.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry last post went to the wrong post!
From past reading it may be bacterial. Just a thought.
I have had corals do the same and die and others recover and repopulate the dead area.
I have a digi that had a similar look and keeps growing but has not recovered in the white areas.
Do you have any emerald crabs! Mine are quote "model crabs" but others have issues. Same with some shrimp from what I have read.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry last post went to the wrong post!
From past reading it may be bacterial. Just a thought.
I have had corals do the same and die and others recover and repopulate the dead area.
I have a digi that had a similar look and keeps growing but has not recovered in the white areas.
Do you have any emerald crabs! Mine are quote "model crabs" but others have issues. Same with some shrimp from what I have read.

I do have about 5 emerald crabs. They don't pick at corals but do hang out in them. Could be them also. The slimer had what looked like an infection on one branch about 2 months ago. It was a bald spot but the piece recovered and has since grown over it and you would never know.

Wonder if I should just leave it and see what happens. I just don't want it to spread throughout the whole colony.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have about 5 emerald crabs. They don't pick at corals but do hang out in them. Could be them also. The slimer had what looked like an infection on one branch about 2 months ago. It was a bald spot but the piece recovered and has since grown over it and you would never know.

Wonder if I should just leave it and see what happens. I just don't want it to spread throughout the whole colony.
I would keep a close eye on it and if it spreads consider fragging the area if possible.
The real issue is it could spread fast overnite so keep that in mind. It happened to a frag in my frag tank for unknown reasons. Went from looked good to half dead over night.

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes I have two Damsels. My Chromis has been hanging in the branches though. I have never seen the Damsels around there.
Chromis will do the same. They clear a patch under the stag horn and lay egg like clown fish clear the rock. I have a stag horn dominate reef and i have a same thing happened.

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is a zoom in picture u can see the egg
0CAC61C3-44FF-4C7E-8040-E18B48AF477E.jpeg

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a zoom in picture u can see the egg
0CAC61C3-44FF-4C7E-8040-E18B48AF477E.jpeg

Wow! Great picture. That patch is pretty similar to what I have going on. I don't see any eggs though. Could it be that the Chromis could do it instinctively without laying eggs?

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow! Great picture. That patch is pretty similar to what I have going on. I don't see any eggs though. Could it be that the Chromis could do it instinctively without laying eggs?
Sometime they getting ready to lay egg so they clean the area first just like the clown fish.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometime they getting ready to lay egg so they clean the area first just like the clown fish.

Cool. How long does it usually take? I know that is probably a loaded question. Also, do you notice the areas come back?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back