Help guys! Im new and made a critical mistake!

Big Bosha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at my tank today, and noticed something strange. It was what I've now identified as a vermitide snail (its picture below) However, I was scraping off the calcified tube from the bottom of the frag plug of my australian green tip bubble hammer (wall) and I accidentally dropped him in the container. He lost about 50% of all of the polyps(also pictures below the polyps lost and it after it was damaged) I am so devastated I could cry about it right now. He was one of the first corals I ever bought and my fiance loved the colony so much we named it clyde. Do you think it will recover? Is there anything I can do to right him and assure him a speedy recovery? Please, any advice would be amazing. I am very sad right now.

2240.jpg 2238.jpg 2242.jpg

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was in the container? How long has it been back in the tank? A fresh water dip to wash off any chemical might have helped but now that its back in id leave it be. There's some tentacle extention. Too much on a damaged coral will only hurt it. What did it look like before?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really hard to say sometimes. Some corals bounce back while others don’t I’m afraid. You can dip it in some Iodine based coral dip or some revive to help with stress. I hope it recovers.

OP
OP
Big Bosha

Big Bosha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hard to say sometimes. Some corals clinch back while others don’t I’m afraid. You can dip it in some Iodine based coral dip or some revive to help with stress. I hope it recovers.
Thank you friend for the advice and the positive encouragement. I am very worried about him. I am going to go out today to buy some iodine for a dip for him. I hope he makes it.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you friend for the advice and the positive encouragement. I am very worried about him. I am going to go out today to buy some iodine for a dip for him. I hope he makes it.
Revive works good as most fraggers use it after fragging a coral to help with stress and to help in recovery. Plus, when iodine comes into play, make sure it’s a iodine coral dip.

Revive
Seachem coral dip
Coral RX

to name a few that will work.

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
id just leave it be. let it settle down. i would dip unless i saw some sign of infection. If it makes you feel any better. My 12 head colony that i grew from 2, did a nose dive into the sand last night after being in the same spot for over a year. It happens. All things being equal, it should be fine.

OP
OP
Big Bosha

Big Bosha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was in the container? How long has it been back in the tank? A fresh water dip to wash off any chemical might have helped but now that its back in id leave it be. There's some tentacle extention. Too much on a damaged coral will only hurt it. What did it look like before?
Just tank water. Nothing to dip him. I was just scraping off the vermitide snail tube that had apparently been there quite a while. As I was scraping him I dropped him by accident. This is what it looked like before the accident(photos attached) I know wall hammers are much harder to care for than branching hammers. Do you think it will make it? Just sad sad sad right now. First time I have EVER made this kind of mistake. Will never ever again. (Pictures were taken during a battle with dinos which I've recently begun winning)

1379542598.jpg 1422079575.jpg 317329277.jpg

Last edited:

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done the same thing before but with a power head and frogspawn. I was adjusting it for no reason it popped off and fell on a frogspawn. Peices went everywhere, BUT hes fine and it grew back.
Edit: it looked way worse that yours.

OP
OP
Big Bosha

Big Bosha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Revive works good as most fraggers use it after fragging a coral to help with stress and to help in recovery. Plus, when iodine comes into play, make sure it’s a iodine coral dip.

Revive
Seachem coral dip
Coral RX

to name a few that will work.
Okay. I am going shopping like, right now. I will post on this thread with an update to his health. I'm going to let him be for several hours to see if he looks any better. Then take him out for the dip. Thank you so much.

OP
OP
Big Bosha

Big Bosha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done the same thing before but with a power head and frogspawn. I was adjusting it for no reason it popped off and fell on a frogspawn. Peices went everywhere, BUT hes fine and it grew back.
Edit: it looked way worse that yours.
That makes me feel better and worse at the same time...

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures were taken during a battle with dinosaurs

I’m not sure if that was autocorrect or if that’s what you meant to type, but it made me laugh.

Good luck with your coral though. I think stability is really the most important thing right now. Sometimes in panic it’s easy to want to do as much as you possibly can, but the more you move him around and disturb him the harder the recovery will be. I think just leaving him where he is and making sure that your lighting and water parameters are as stable as possible is probably the best thing to do at this point.

OP
OP
Big Bosha

Big Bosha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if that was autocorrect or if that’s what you meant to type, but it made me laugh.

Good luck with your coral though. I think stability is really the most important thing right now. Sometimes in panic it’s easy to want to do as much as you possibly can, but the more you move him around and disturb him the harder the recovery will be. I think just leaving him where he is and making sure that your lighting and water parameters are as stable as possible is probably the best thing to do at this point.
I test my parameters every single day. They rarely ever change except recently I had a ph dip. So I used a little marine buffer and added and airstone in the sump. Other than that they are always stable. The lighting I have not changed since the blackout I did to fight the dinos. I will continue to monitor it very closely. Thank you for your advice.

Edit: it was an autocorrect, and I fixed it. But I laughed out loud at this too. I always win my fights with dinosaurs... haha.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I am going shopping like, right now. I will post on this thread with an update to his health. I'm going to let him be for several hours to see if he looks any better. Then take him out for the dip. Thank you so much.

Dipping is not likely to help the problem. Dipping will most likely do worse in the way of stress. I would let it chill lick its wounds and recover naturally. I think you will be fine. I like the other user lost a good amount of tentacles from my hammer and while it didn't happen overnight it did recover and kept right on growing.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really see any skeleton, far as I can tell, there's flesh on the bone. Maybe some pics under white light would help

OP
OP
Big Bosha

Big Bosha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipping is not likely to help the problem. Dipping will most likely do worse in the way of stress. I would let it chill lick its wounds and recover naturally. I think you will be fine. I like the other user lost a good amount of tentacles from my hammer and while it didn't happen overnight it did recover and kept right on growing.
Okay. So would it be smart to let him recover for a few days and THEN dip him? Or just leave him be for an extended period of time? Thanks.

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. So would it be smart to let him recover for a few days and THEN dip him? Or just leave him be for an extended period of time? Thanks.

Just leave him be. There's no reason to dip right now. Dipping adds massive stress. leave it alone

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%

Back