Help, help! Moving tank across room, in-wall

wings4wheels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm locked in and laid off and i have started a project to remodel my basement. Plans include moving my 150 gallon reef tank to the other end of the basement, and into a new wall and building a shadow box background.

I have began construction, and am now at the point where i need advice on how to best pull off this move. I thought i could set up temporary holding tanks for the fish and corals, and use a large trash tub for rock and some water. I'm not sure if i should buy new sand or just move my current sand.

Any other advice on any possible thing you think i should know would be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

20200318_223411.jpg

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved 2 tanks last year when we bought our new home, advice given to me was dump the old sand except for a cup or two. Using old sand , I was told might start a mini cycle from stirring it all up. I bought new sand, seeded tanks with a little of old sand and used Bio Spira to start each tank. Things went smooth and no mini cycle(s)

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing 13 years ago. Get your tank stand setup and level. Drain all water and rock, move tank to new stand and put water, rock back in. I left four or five inches of water and my fish in the tank. It took about thirty minutes to drain and get on the stand, another thirty to refill. Good luck with the move and the sweet basement remodel.

OP
OP
W

wings4wheels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing 13 years ago. Get your tank stand setup and level. Drain all water and rock, move tank to new stand and put water, rock back in. I left four or five inches of water and my fish in the tank. It took about thirty minutes to drain and get on the stand, another thirty to refill. Good luck with the move and the sweet basement remodel.
How big was that tank you moved with the water in it? I have been advised to EMPTY before moving! Makes me nervous! Lol

OP
OP
W

wings4wheels

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doors are up, fish and rock are moved. need to paint the walls and add some livestock. Finding livestock seems to be difficult.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back