Help hooking up RODI !!

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering how to hookup an RODI in the basement . I don't have. Any utility sink or anything in the basement and I'm wondering how to go about hooking the system off and how to tap into my water ! If anyone has any advice or maybe any photos of there setups! Any help appreciated !

coral-boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where is your water heater? I put a valve on the cold water line that feeds my water heater and ran the line to my r.o unit

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are comfortable manipulating your house's plumbing...

I cannot find the exact part I used, but this one is similar and perfectly fine for the 'end' of a copper pipe run:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....nect-x-14-inch-od-compression.1000723626.html

However, I used a T fitting (1/2" to 1/2" push connect with the 1/4" compression sticking out) without a valve. I then used an RO tubing valve as the main shut-off for the RO/DI unit. This does involve cutting your piping (pex or copper, should work the same with these fancy push fittings), so be sure to shut the water off to the house first!

coral-boss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24ca6343-e9fa-4fd4-bf55-a390d3d4ee17_400.jpg
self tapping saddle valve. if you have a cold water pipe in your basement. that's what I used

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where is your water heater? I put a valve on the cold water line that feeds my water heater and ran the line to my r.o unit
I have one of those navien hot water on demand systems . It has to have some sort of water connected to it .

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24ca6343-e9fa-4fd4-bf55-a390d3d4ee17_400.jpg
self tapping saddle valve. if you have a cold water pipe in your basement. that's what I used

I used one of these for a while. At first it worked great, but eventually started leaking (within months); which is funny, because I have appliances in the house that use them (humidifier on the furnace, ice maker in the fridge, etc). Agreed, they are a simple and easy solution.

OP, if you do go this route, do not use the built in valve. Install it and never touch it again. Use a secured inline RO valve (you know the ones with the 1/4" John Guest fittings). I suspect the problem with leaking is the subtle movements caused by turning the RO line valve off and on, as mine was just floating where I could reach it above my head.

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I cannot find the exact part I used, but this one is similar and perfectly fine for the 'end' of a copper pipe run:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....nect-x-14-inch-od-compression.1000723626.html

However, I used a T fitting (1/2" to 1/2" push connect with the 1/4" compression sticking out) without a valve. I then used an RO tubing valve as the main shut-off for the RO/DI unit. This does involve cutting your piping (pex or copper, should work the same with these fancy push fittings), so be sure to shut the water off to the house first!

I am going to look into it . I have to find exactly where my cold water is coming from first then go from there

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a 2-way faucet adaptor and simply replace the faucet aerator. Not as clean looking, but very easy and reversible. I hook my unit up weekly to my kitchen faucet

OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6450.JPG
IMG_6452.JPG
IMG_6453.JPG
This is what the setup looks like . The end of the cold water going into the heater had a little red shut off to the right that looks like an outdoor spicket! How can I hook RO unit up to that!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ryan Rioux

Ryan Rioux

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/mur-lok-garden-hose-utility-sink-adapter.html

200010-reverse-osmosis-ro-garden-hose-laundry-tub-adapter-qc-b.jpg

This would work to connect to a garden hose faucet type setup...I use one on mine. Just make sure that is the cold water line in your picture and turning on that faucet gives you water, lol.
Look on Bulk Reef Supply, they have all the connections you will need.
It is definitely the water ! I opened the red shutoff and water came out of it. Anddddd that line is coming directly from the water supply in the corner of the basement so it must be the cold ! Wish I could go find those connections at Lowe's or Home Depot today

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that cold water or hot?

NM missed your explanation, they should have used a blue handle on the spigot.

And my BRS unit came with one of those

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NM missed your explanation, they should have used a blue handle on the spigot.

Funny you should say that. I fully agree, however I had to change out a couple old valves (30 years old, probably had not been used in 29 - then I came along and manipulated my water system, lol) and all I could find were red handled. Unless you buy a pair... Odd...

Gladmaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many RO come with adapter for garden hose which would work on that valve. Now, how are you going to dispose of the waste water? It's going to be 3 -4 times the volume of the good water. Do you have a drain line available to tap into?

jose7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just confirm that its cold water coming out of that faucet. Let it run a minute just to make sure it stays cold.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kent Hi-s RO/DI unit that I acquired through some trading. I can't figure out exactly how to hook it up though. There is a yellow line coming into the first canister on the left, a blue line coming out/in of the third canister, and an orange line on the RO membrane. I know one line should be in one good water out and one waste water I just don't know which is which and I can't find anything on google any help would be appreciated.

I haven't heard of that particular RODI unit, but it looks like the same setup as a BRS RODI unit. Here is a youtube video I found about the Kent system that talks about it. Around the 3:15 part of the video, he starts to discuss the hosing and how it works/setup.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back