HELP Huge alkalinity overdose with reef zlements z ph plus

reeferwinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

tank is about 3 years old. Alkalinity was at 8.0, calcium was low at 380, mag 1250, phosphate 0.03, nitrate 1ppm.

my dosing container cracked and leaked about 1 litre of 50-50 diluted alkalinity part into my tank (reef zlements z ph plus). Water was milky as anything and I could not see in the tank. I have done 2 x 20% water changes. Acros are totally white after 1 day. All other corals’ polyps are super retracted.

alk was untestable using salifert (over 15.77) I got it down to 12 after a water change and ph got up to 9.3 and did not change after first water change. I have not tested after the second water change. This happened yesterday morning, I caught it pretty quickly (first water change maybe around 3 hours after it happened).

should I take my most prized corals to my lfs to look after or has the damage been done and would this be worse?

thanks!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley may be able to assist with some thing to do to get the alk and ph down quickly. Some damage will be done, but there have been a few instances posted where tons of things recovered with minimal loses doing what Randy recommends.

OP
OP
R

reeferwinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley may be able to assist with some thing to do to get the alk and ph down quickly. Some damage will be done, but there have been a few instances posted where tons of things recovered with minimal loses doing what Randy recommends.
Thank you! I have read all I could find on here. I’m thinking the damage is done and relocating them may not help. Everything is still really closed up and I have lost all my fish other than my 2 clowns. Tank is only 120 litres and lost my damsel, Midas blenny… my silver belly wrasse is yet to make an appearance.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poison water is the immediate problem. Do another water change @50% now. That’s the best chance at saving anything else and you will have to fix the water parameters sooner or later. Sooner the better with your scenario.

sorry about the situation

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back