Help! I don’t know what I’m doing!

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been think about this (situation) since last night. (Like- what could we say or do to help.) My thoughts: all I could come up with:
1. Try to return livestock to store, and (at least) get a store credit.
I know, PetSmart and Petco do not except returns or offer any compensation for DOA/ not even, died within 24 hours.
I learned my lesson: I had a full on tank crash/velvet outbreak due to adding a blue hippo (Dory) from local Petco, it was $150 and it became coated and died within 24 hours, so did everything (but, 3) else in my tank. I explained what happened, I had my receipts and I didn’t get anything. No money back, no store credit and no replacement fish. I got, “I’m sorry to hear that.” Yes! Totally, duped! Never again. And, I don’t have anything good to say about them. I’m usually a pretty positive person but, I think the nicest thing I could say or do, would be to warn people. As for the people that work there. I’m sure somebody, somewhere, is great, or maybe great in cats, dogs, reptiles. Maybe, my local store is the exception. I had a bad experience, really bad. Anyway, I have found 1 local (reef) store/ he is amazing... you know, when you find the hidden gems/in Georgia! 14 day guarantee (and, I’ve never needed it!) We know each other, now. His knowledge is unbelievable! Point is... on here, I’ve found trusted places for fish, coral, and CUC. All exceptional service and products!
Research! Word of mouth! On here, goes a long way.
2. If you happen to have a friend or family member with an established marine tank, you could ask them to hold them, for a month or so. Also, if you have a filter... hob/canister filter (some people rely on live rock only) you could ask them for some filter media (a little) to help your tank cycle faster. It looks like ceramic rings, rocks or sponges/pads.
Add, bacteria (I like this stuff called, Dr. Tim’s One and Only for marine tanks, but... all the popular brands offer their version... like... api quick start, seachem prime, fluval has 1 (water enhancer/I think, not positive that’s what it’s called) and Instant Ocean Bio- spira, etc. They say stuff like: instantly add fish, prevents new tank syndrome, no waiting...
It helps.
Is it a magic bullet, no.
3. Like someone said, find local person/fish keeper through FB, community aquatic/reef clubs, someone here could (possibly) point you in the right direction, for your local area. I would contact administrator on here or ask who to contact (if you are interested in going that route)
Of course, if you contact someone locally .... the mom in me... check everything out and be careful, don’t do anything alone. Stay safe!
** if you have ?s let us know. We will try to help or find you someone who can! Take care & happy fish keeping :)

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a nice way...
I’m done, back to my corals!
Done with this thread, anything specific/?
Message me. I’m out! Have a great day, everyone!

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess, I’m used to it! lol (nurse)
I had a good thought... or, when this kind of thing happens...
I found out about Reef2Reef because I googled the symptoms of my sick fish/yellow tang. I’ve had my reef tank for quite some time. But, I still run into problems and have ?s. When I found it, I didn’t know how to use it.
I searched “fish disease” and then, “symptoms” and that’s how I got started.
My point is: someone could be looking for help and our thread pop up, years later. It might help someone, someday. I was scared to speak or ask ?s (on here,) at first. I would just read. Search topics and read other people’s ?s/comments.
Even if the op never responds, I don’t feel it’s a total loss . I get the point. Anyway, it didn’t hurt anything and maybe it can help someone, someday! Just a thought. Have a happy, fish keeping day :)

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess, I’m used to it! lol (nurse)
I had a good thought... or, when this kind of thing happens...
I found out about Reef2Reef because I googled the symptoms of my sick fish/yellow tang. I’ve had my reef tank for quite some time. But, I still run into problems and have ?s. When I found it, I didn’t know how to use it.
I searched “fish disease” and then, “symptoms” and that’s how I got started.
My point is: someone could be looking for help and our thread pop up, years later. It might help someone, someday. I was scared to speak or ask ?s (on here,) at first. I would just read. Search topics and read other people’s ?s/comments.
Even if the op never responds, I don’t feel it’s a total loss . I get the point. Anyway, it didn’t hurt anything and maybe it can help someone, someday! Just a thought. Have a happy, fish keeping day :)
Well said .

As a new member . They might be a little nervous to ask , or to admit they committed a rookie mistake .
everything about this hobby is a learning experience . Similar to life , we have to make mistakes to learn from them .
Moving forward ....
today is testing and water change day .

happy reefing

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said .

As a new member . They might be a little nervous to ask , or to admit they committed a rookie mistake .
everything about this hobby is a learning experience . Similar to life , we have to make mistakes to learn from them .
Moving forward ....
today is testing and water change day .

happy reefing
Thanks!
Oh wow! I don’t mind testing my water. But, uggghhh the water changes. It’s worst part, Every time, I try to beat my time. Like it’s a game! Lol
Anything, to pass the time!

Last edited:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! I don’t mind testing water. But, uggghhh the water changes. The worst part. Every time, I try to beat my time
I only change 23 gals .
its 7 salt buckets filled , Carried to the bathroom where they are dumped .

but .... first have to use a 1/4” hose to pull some flatworms out .
none of the fish bought are doing their job

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow!
I guess mine is pretty close. I change 30 gallons. It’s 8-9 buckets filled 4 gallons full / to be able to carry it and not spill it everywhere. I got 1 of those python/siphon hoses (that I really like.) Every time I try different things/ways to develop a good system. It’s still in the works. Lol
Do you make your RODI water and mix your own water?
Apparently, some people buy it already done. I don’t think that is offered here.
Anyway, my last water change: I ordered a big Brute trash can with the dolly/wheels, and figured I would only use it for removing/adding water. Aquarium use only.
it helped the most, removing the water. It wasn’t practical/didn’t work for the mixing clean/new water. I still had to use the multiple buckets to make RODI water and then, measure/mix/heat/test.
You probably didn’t want to know all this...sorry ...
I’m always looking for tips/tricks/hacks to make water changes easier and/or faster. I have steps/porch. That’s why I can’t mix it and then, bring it inside.
I’ll find a way to switch it up and try something different, next time. There’s got to be a better way! Lol :) Until then, I’ll mix it in my living room ;)

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow!
I guess mine is pretty close. I change 30 gallons. It’s 8-9 buckets filled 4 gallons full / to be able to carry it and not spill it everywhere. I got 1 of those python/siphon hoses (that I really like.) Every time I try different things/ways to develop a good system. It’s still in the works. Lol
Apparently, some people buy it already done. I don’t think that is offered here.
Anyway, my last water change: I ordered a big Brute trash can with the dolly/wheels, and figured I would only use it for removing/adding water. Aquarium use only.
it helped the most, removing the water. It wasn’t practical/didn’t work for the mixing clean/new water. I still had to use the multiple buckets to make RODI water and then, measure/mix/heat/test.
I’m always looking for tips/tricks/hacks to make water changes easier and/or faster. I have steps/porch. That’s why I can’t mix it and then, bring it inside.
I’ll find a way to switch it up and try something different, next time. There’s got to be a better way! Lol :) Until then, I’ll mix it in my living room ;)
I have a 23 gal brute container .
brag it to the kitchen , and run the spectipure 90gpd to fill ( 8 hours )
I don’t have a cart or dolly ( but amazing idea thanks )
Drag it to the living room and add salt .
let it mix over night ( sometimes 2-3 days ) depending on time to do a water change .
When changing I use a gravel cleaner with a hose but into buckets to carry to the bathroom and dump into the toilet .
A royal pain in the butt but needs to be done .
Next is a auto water change station but I don’t have the room for it yet .
If you could imagine .
water and salt buckets all of the house irritates my wife .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow!
I think we have destroyed the op’s thread ..
a little off topic a few times.

Take care and happy reefing .
Along with many other things . This isn’t the only thread great advice is welcomed .

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 41 26.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 33 21.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 40 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back