Help! I don’t know what I’m doing!

Chakka1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some may have seen, I posted my “Newbie” thread; this is my FIRST saltwater tank! I am reading, and reading but still feel lost!
mice lost two fish now I was encouraged to buy shrimp and crab and I think one shrimp killed the other two.
I am still just cycling and have only had my setup for about a week. I have live rock, but not coral. There are currently 3 chromes, 5 small emerald crabs and some skunk shrimp? And another type of shrimp (my husband went into the store while I sat in the car ‍♀️)

I will take ANY information that I can get! What should I be doing? What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• 63736271053__CB17C423-8D5F-46AA-9CAA-6685DABA4A3A.MOV
    16.1 MB
OP
OP
C

Chakka1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been up and running?
Sounds like you are moving a bit fast. What are the water parameters? Ammonia?
Tank was delivered and setup 03/08/21
I don’t have the chart for the one strips, but the ammonia looks okay ‍♀️

Attachments

• CAC0F473-56D8-4AD5-98C8-17B4CBDD41AE.jpeg
    CAC0F473-56D8-4AD5-98C8-17B4CBDD41AE.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 040159D1-4285-4D72-B668-E200329D03FE.jpeg
    040159D1-4285-4D72-B668-E200329D03FE.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 79
  • BFEC3085-8721-44B0-B432-B399F5AB5C86.jpeg
    BFEC3085-8721-44B0-B432-B399F5AB5C86.jpeg
    147 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
C

Chakka1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 90
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
C

Chakka1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a black and white damsel and another small chromie. The damsel was found unable to swim under a rock yesterday and I’ve yet to find the other chromie today

Ta2oodfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be weary of those test strips. Lately there has been a lot of discussion on the inaccuracies of many strips and test kits like API.
But going back a few steps....slow down.
A new tank has to cycle and build up the bacteria needed to deal with the ammonia/nitrates. Fish should be added slowly especially if you haven't planned for a fish in cycle. Do you have prime on hand for binding the ammonia? A tank so new will probably test low or none....right now. But you are looking at a spike coming that will wipe out the tank potentially if not prepared.
Have you doses bacteria? Is that live or dry sand?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agree with everyone above. Need to slow down. That tank is so new most likely you will kill a lot more if you continue down same path. You should do some reading on proper tank cycling before anything else is added

Ta2oodfreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start here.....

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to do alot of research and reading many of the build threads on hear. You are definitely going too fast. When you do get more fish stay away from 3 stripe damsels, they are bullies. I wish when I started 7 years ago I had better knowledge of fish, would not have gotten them. They were fine for a few years then all of a sudden they want to attack my chromis. Get better test kits and test as often as you can and learn what all the parameters are and what they will do for you.

iMi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I’d recommend you stop adding livestock. I‘m not sure what is still living and what is not living at this point, but here’s what I would suggest. Do a water change, doze an entire bottle of Bio-Spira and test daily with quality tests kit, starting with ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Stay the course until the first two are zero and the last one starts increasing. Meanwhile, sit back and relax. Everything will stabilize. Just leave it be and let nature do its thing.

It looks like you’re doing fish only and that’s a fine place to start. Just make sure you have means of maintaining biological filter, such as rock, bio media in the filter, etc. You will need to also export excess nutrients. Best way to do it is with water changes, carbon filters and general maintenance.

Cycling is not the mysterious thing lots of people make it out to be...

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention... not their fault... but, why did your LFS sell them CUC.... cleaner shrimp? Crab? etc. Other than the obvious (to make money!) They were setup for failure. Also, (unfortunately) damsels are often sold to cycle tanks. Why? They are cheap, hardy (pretty hard to kill), serves the purpose for cycling and they are MEAN and aggressive! Why torture the chromis!?
ok/ now, that I had my rant about the store...
Ok/ what to do?
1st you are in the right place! Everyone on here will do there best to help you!
Ask lots of ?s and research/
In the meantime, you need good testing kits/strips supplies. Looks like you have the strips. API puts out a basic kit: here’s a pic of mine: pic 1
The ammonia test in here seems to be a little more accurate than strips/
I use a couple (including strips) to compare against each other... most pet store will also test your water for you. So, try to be sure your values are correct. Right now the most important ... 1st Ammonia (2nd/3rd) but, important.... temperature 78-80.., yes later it can go a bit warmer (reef tanks,etc) /right now go for basics (good heater/digital thermometer).... 3) specific gravity (are you checking?) You have to know this... salinity of your water 1.023-1.025 (the basics)... you use a refractometer: one of these 2-3 pic) looks like this:
Let’s start there... next, nitrite/nitrate levels. But, since you are just getting started you’ve got to watch the ammonia. I would read on nitrogen cycle/saltwater tank or YouTube video (easy to find... on here, BRStv, Marine Depot, Malevs reef .. just to name a few)
Don’t panic! Don’t buy anymore livestock, right now. If you do everything perfectly you may (still) lose some-all of your fish. Granted, we will try to help. The cycle is inevitable (part of it).., it begins when you add fish or food, then waste. It will ramp up/become cumulative over time... once your biological filtration is established it will convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. This has to happen. Basically, (can your fish live through it?) The ones you named are hardy. Most damsels are aggressive and territorial, they can and will kill almost anything, easily a chromis. Chromis are usually protected by being in schools (around 6 or more) But, don’t go buy more fish. The reason everyone on here will say that over and over... it’s possible you may lose your fish. But, think of your dream fish (probably $75-$300 range) or 6 chromis $60-$100 ... and, lose it all. It’s lots of work and money gone, within days. We are trying to save you from that, so you don’t have a disastrous experience. Hoping you have a lifetime hobby... that you love and enjoy... as much as we do. Also, sometimes people find out that this isn’t for them. You would rather find that out and lose $100 vs. thousands/and, sooner rather than later. Either way, it’s a learning experience! Good news: the cycling doesn’t last forever (it may seem that way!) It usually takes approximately 4 weeks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 56

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention... not their fault... but, why did your LFS sell them CUC.... cleaner shrimp? Crab? etc. Other than the obvious (to make money!) They were setup for failure. Also, (unfortunately) damsels are often sold to cycle tanks. Why? They are cheap, hardy (pretty hard to kill), serves the purpose for cycling and they are MEAN and aggressive! Why torture the chromis!?
ok/ now, that I had my rant about the store...
Ok/ what to do?
1st you are in the right place! Everyone on here will do there best to help you!
Ask lots of ?s and research/
In the meantime, you need good testing kits/strips supplies. Looks like you have the strips. API puts out a basic kit: here’s a pic of mine: pic 1
The ammonia test in here seems to be a little more accurate than strips/
I use a couple (including strips) to compare against each other... most pet store will also test your water for you. So, try to be sure your values are correct. Right now the most important ... 1st Ammonia (2nd/3rd) but, important.... temperature 78-80.., yes later it can go a bit warmer (reef tanks,etc) /right now go for basics (good heater/digital thermometer).... 3) specific gravity (are you checking?) You have to know this... salinity of your water 1.023-1.025 (the basics)... you use a refractometer: one of these 2-3 pic) looks like this:
Let’s start there... next, nitrite/nitrate levels. But, since you are just getting started you’ve got to watch the ammonia. I would read on nitrogen cycle/saltwater tank or YouTube video (easy to find... on here, BRStv, Marine Depot, Malevs reef .. just to name a few)
Don’t panic! Don’t buy anymore livestock, right now. If you do everything perfectly you may (still) lose some-all of your fish. Granted, we will try to help. The cycle is inevitable (part of it).., it begins when you add fish or food, then waste. It will ramp up/become cumulative over time... once your biological filtration is established it will convert ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. This has to happen. Basically, (can your fish live through it?) The ones you named are hardy. Most damsels are aggressive and territorial, they can and will kill almost anything, easily a chromis. Chromis are usually protected by being in schools (around 6 or more) But, don’t go buy more fish. The reason everyone on here will say that over and over... it’s possible you may lose your fish. But, think of your dream fish (probably $75-$300 range) or 6 chromis $60-$100 ... and, lose it all. It’s lots of work and money gone, within days. We are trying to save you from that, so you don’t have a disastrous experience. Hoping you have a lifetime hobby... that you love and enjoy... as much as we do. Also, sometimes people find out that this isn’t for them. You would rather find that out and lose $100 vs. thousands/and, sooner rather than later. Either way, it’s a learning experience! Good news: the cycling doesn’t last forever (it may seem that way!) It usually takes approximately 4 weeks.
I questioned the same with shrimp being as sensitive as they are ....
why add them into a new tank other than to make a sale ...

I’d recommend finding a reputable and trustworthy lfs that will provide accurate advice

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought of something and super easy ...
Seachem ammonia alert... love this! Better than strips/API kit! Most LFS carry it and if they don’t it’s on Amazon (under $10) ... this has always worked for me and has never let me down.., here’s a pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 69

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought of something and super easy ...
Seachem ammonia alert... love this! Better than strips/API kit! Most LFS carry it and if they don’t it’s on Amazon (under $10) ... this has always worked for me and has never let me down.., here’s a pic
I’ve seen these but read mixed reviews .
do they work?
Will they alarm later in a established system ?

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I questioned the same with shrimp being as sensitive as they are ....
why add them into a new tank other than to make a sale ...

I’d recommend finding a reputable and trustworthy lfs that will provide accurate advice
Definitely! I think they might have sold her husband a fire shrimp, but why? I have no idea. Most people/aquarists would never do this I’ve got to believe they didn’t know. That’s just cruel. To the shrimp and new fish keeper.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to @nursebran ... she did an excellent job breaking this down.
I will just support what others have said....
THIS IS A MARATHON, NOT A RACE!
Put on the brakes, slow down to enjoy the ride. You have not even hit the uglies yet. (diatoms) Invest in some decent test kits.
I know we all want that gratification of sitting back and watching our little fishies swim around but it is a process to get there. I'm sorry that you did not find a trustworthy LFS to guide you but we are happy that you found us here.
Where are you located? Perhaps we can give you some recommendations to a LFS in your area?
The tank is going to be lovely when you get up and running. Hang in there.
When you get the chance, post the size and type of filtration (sump, HOB, canister, etc) The more we know, the more we can help.
WELCOME!

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely! I think they might have sold her husband a fire shrimp, but why? I have no idea. Most people/aquarists would never do this I’ve got to believe they didn’t know. That’s just cruel. To the shrimp and new fish keeper.
For sure way to scare off someone that might have had interest ...

$20 is $20

but a trusted lfs that is out to help the hobby and new aquarists rather than making a buck .
I’d let that lfs be known so others don’t experience the same false advice
I didn’t catch the size of tank , but even for a cleaner shrimp ... they need parasites , or something to eat ?
Why sell them more than 1

I have a 230 gal reef and would not go more than 1

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back