Help! I made a mistake with my Maxima

  • Thread starter Thread starter dough
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dough

Reefing since '95
View Badges
Joined
Mar 4, 2007
Messages
318
Reaction score
258
Location
Lawrenceville, GA
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Maxima a few months ago from a LFS. Brought it home and put it on the sand bed of about 3/4". Well before I could get around to placing it on my LR, it attached to the bottom of my tank. ugh........ It's healthy and doing good, just wish I could move it. Any suggestions getting the foot released or just leave it alone.
 
Ok, what is attached is the Byssal threads. Get a razor blade and clear out the sand around the clam and VERY carefully scrape the razor along the glass cutting the threads away from the glass. As long as you don't cut up too high it will be ok. I had a similar problem with my clam, but now he is 8" long and happy.
 
Ok, what is attached is the Byssal threads. Get a razor blade and clear out the sand around the clam and VERY carefully scrape the razor along the glass cutting the threads away from the glass. As long as you don't cut up too high it will be ok. I had a similar problem with my clam, but now he is 8" long and happy.


Thanks! I thought about using a razor but just needed to hear it from others that they have been successful.
 
Actually clams will do fine on the sand bed and will looks better low in the tank, as long as there is enough light. If you have to move him to higher light, then move him but if increase light is not needed, I would just leave him be. I keep my all clams on the sand, but I have a lot of light in my tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new