Help!! I think my multi colored angel is dying...

Garyf7257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the last two days she has not been eating. Today I noticed she was staying in one spot vertically and she would hide in between a rock and go to lay on her side. It's as is she doesn't have any strength. I thought she may have flukes so I did a freshwater dip and I did not see anything. I now have her in QT and she's barely swimming and when I turn the filter on she gets stuck to it bc she doesn't have the strength. I don't know what to do. She seems fine except for frayed fins. Any thoughts? Suggestions. Greatly appreciated! I would hate to see her go...
A-0
N-0
N-0
PH-8
Temp-82

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frayed fins is the only thing off about her besides being so lethargic? Heavy breathing? Swollen abdomen or anus?

OP
OP
Garyf7257

Garyf7257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's what I took she's currently at the top and she's breathing very heavily

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0239.JPG

IMG_0244.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you be willing to do a freshwater dip? It should help her heavy breathing and we can check her for flukes at the same time.
Here's how

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Garyf7257

Garyf7257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh water dip for 5 minutes and i did not see anything in the container so I don't think it's flukes.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, an acriflavine bath might help if it's an infection.

How long have you had the fish? Was it QT'd originally? Anything new added to the tank recently? Have you seen any white stringy poop?

OP
OP
Garyf7257

Garyf7257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had him for 6 months now and never had any problems. About 2 months ago my lemonpeel who was in the same tank, died for no apparent reason. I noticed him getting cleaned a lot by my cleaner shrimp and I thought he had an external parasite so I took him out and QTed him and 4 hours later he died. My multi colored was originally in my main tank until I took him out and he died overnight. I knew it was coming bc he had no strength. I did not noticed stringy poop . He would barely eat. He would take a couple bites here and there but never ate like an angel should eat. It's as if he ate enough to get by. Now the past two days he stopped completely. I'm just stumped. I don't know what he had or if the lemonpeel had something that he gave to her and it just took longer for her to die from him.. veeu stressful

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you've got "something" going on in your DT, but without more clear-cut symptoms it's impossible to say what. Thanks to the FW dip, we can rule out flukes. The frayed fins are probably a secondary bacterial infection from parasite exposure (ich, velvet, etc.)

So, an acriflavine bath followed up by either CP or copper treatment would be my next move. You're in a catch-22 though. On one hand, she's probably not strong enough to survive copper. But if you wait until you find CP, she'll probably be too far gone to save. :( So, unless you have immediate access to CP, I would roll the dice on Coppersafe.

OP
OP
Garyf7257

Garyf7257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, from what I am seeing I do not believe she will be strong enough to withstand copper but on the other hand I cannot do nothing and I do have immediate access to copper so that is my next step. She is not strong enough to even withstand the suction from the filter. I am unable to run it. Any suggestions on filtration please???

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back