Help ID Anemone Please!

KelBell3113

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm new to the forums. I just bought a piece of live rock this evening and it's covered in a lot of neat little organisms. We're curious as to what type of anemone (if it's an anemone) this is (circled in white)? I'm hoping it's not a pest. Any input would be much appreciated!!

IMG_20160805_210035.jpg

IMG_20160805_210035.jpg

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an anemone....but a common pest one an aiptasia. They arnt bad as one or two, some are even kinda pretty....but can quickly turn into thats all your tank is made of. Best to get rid of them while they are one or two.

OP
OP
KelBell3113

KelBell3113

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks. We thought it might be but wanted to be sure. It is pretty but we don't want it taking over. What's the most effective way to get rid of them? Thank you for your help!

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well there are lots of methods...

Natural: some peppermint shrimp will eat them. Copperbanded butterflys will(but will also pick at other stuff in your tank so depends upon what you have what you want) Boiling water, just that boil the mess out of some water and burn them out with a baster kinda thing.

Chem: Kalkwasser made into paste into the mouth(works the best IMO but watch ph levels), lemon juice injections, superglue them big old dob preferable over mouth but over hole will do it most times.

etc none of them are perfect.

anonna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an anemone....but a common pest one an aiptasia. They arnt bad as one or two, some are even kinda pretty....but can quickly turn into thats all your tank is made of. Best to get rid of them while they are one or two.
Agree. Aiptasia can take over rather quickly if you aren't careful. I have had great luck putting putty directly on the aiptasia. They can actually pop back up through another opening on the rock - so I usually throw in some peppermint shrimp for safe measure after covering it up with putty.

OP
OP
KelBell3113

KelBell3113

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both! I'm going to go buy a peppermint shrimp tomorrow. My only other question is will the peppermint shrimp eat other types of anemones? We'd like to have a good anemone when we get clown fish.

anonna

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both! I'm going to go buy a peppermint shrimp tomorrow. My only other question is will the peppermint shrimp eat other types of anemones? We'd like to have a good anemone when we get clown fish.
Nope! I have flower & bubble tips - my pep shrimp leave them alone :)

OP
OP
KelBell3113

KelBell3113

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh good! Thank you :) I'm new to saltwater tanks so you guys are lifesavers!

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 46 41.8%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 16 14.5%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back