Help ID Clownfish spots

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of background: new to reefing, finished tank cycle (fishless, dry rock, live sand, Dr Tim’s) in Red Sea 250 about 12 days ago then OCT 30 introduced my first livestock. Two Clowns, one firefish, one hammer coral. Added a cleaner shrimp and a watchman goby yesterday. All seem to be acting normal, eating both dry and frozen.

About two days ago I notice the larger clown has some blotchy white “sore” looking thing on right side of the anal fin. Fish is acting normal for now. Not sure what to make of this, a little concerned, should I be? Again, new to reefing, new to this forum, learning a lot, help appreciated.

F1EC922E-E4F7-42FF-B8FC-435B898F2D6A.png 40C1BBF4-3C2C-48E8-9688-A1EF13D5BB94.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like either sand or bacterial. Assure it does not fall off fish ( try to appraoch with net and see if particles fall of as it darts away. If not - bacterial gram negative type and will need treatment with something like Maracyn 2 or seachem kanaplex , but assure first its not sand

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like either sand or bacterial. Assure it does not fall off fish ( try to appraoch with net and see if particles fall of as it darts away. If not - bacterial gram negative type and will need treatment with something like Maracyn 2 or seachem kanaplex , but assure first its not sand
Will give it a check with the net later.

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking around, possibly a case of Lymphocystis? It does look a bit like a “cauliflower” sore. Also I think it’s been visible for at least 36-48 hours by now.

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To play it safe, would it be wise to do a QT Kanaplex treatment anyway? Or if it’s unnecessary could that cause more problems?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking around, possibly a case of Lymphocystis? It does look a bit like a “cauliflower” sore. Also I think it’s been visible for at least 36-48 hours by now.
That isn’t Lymphocytis. It is either bacteria, thickened skin mucus or Brooklynella. Given the fish is ok in other respects I think it may just be thickened skin mucus - that shows up really clearly on darker clowns.
I would hold off adding any new animals and let your tank mature a bit more….for a month at least. Going forward, quarantining new fish is always best, but I understand it is a lot more work.
Jay

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That isn’t Lymphocytis. It is either bacteria, thickened skin mucus or Brooklynella. Given the fish is ok in other respects I think it may just be thickened skin mucus - that shows up really clearly on darker clowns.
I would hold off adding any new animals and let your tank mature a bit more….for a month at least. Going forward, quarantining new fish is always best, but I understand it is a lot more work.
Jay
Agreed, QT would be ideal, will be setting up in the near future. And I won’t be adding anything else into this tank for a bit. Will keep a close watch on this clown and going to go pick up some Kanaplex in case I need to start treatment or it gets worse.

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Complete a FW dip and the clown seems to be acting a lot less erratic than before the dip. Before dipping, he was swimming across the tank from one end to the other constantly. Now, a few hours post dip, far more relaxed and hanging out like normal. Also the spot on the fin is far less visible now, almost like it got darker. All good signs I hope! I never did see anything come off/out into the FW bucket, there were a few white dots suspended in the water but I wasn’t sure if that was from the net or the clown. Not having a black bucket makes seeing it a bit tough. Will report back if things change! Thanks all.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have held off that fw dip as it wouldnt really help the fish too much if it was bacterial and it causes unneeded stress especially if it wasnt being transferred to a qt tank right after (although probably more annoying to do as you just introduced more fish and this is a new setup).
This could be a sting from the hammer and/or extra mucous buildup from the sting as it tries to heal itself.
Listen to Jays advice as well, he knows his stuff and will guide you if you have to go the route of treatment.

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have held off that fw dip as it wouldnt really help the fish too much if it was bacterial and it causes unneeded stress especially if it wasnt being transferred to a qt tank right after (although probably more annoying to do as you just introduced more fish and this is a new setup).
This could be a sting from the hammer and/or extra mucous buildup from the sting as it tries to heal itself.
Listen to Jays advice as well, he knows his stuff and will guide you if you have to go the route of treatment.
Didn’t even think about it possibly being a sting from the hammer, another possibility I suppose. I won’t be doing any further treatment unless things progress worse. All advice is appreciated, as I’m learning a lot here.

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update - clown still doing good, feeding well and swimming normal. No additional noticeable issues. Doesn’t look to be getting worse but the issue isn’t visibly much better either. At this point, my guess is it’s possibly healing from a hammer sting. If that’s the case, is it best to just let it heal naturally over time or is there something that can be done to help it along? Obviously not wanting to add any undue stress. I’m not sure how quick these sorts of things can take to heal.

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last update - clown is looking good! Barely anything noticeable in the fin now, just some slight indication that will probably go away in a few days. Thanks for the help everyone.

Attachments

• 572EB644-4922-48D4-8826-13BFF6C7D4AA.jpeg
    572EB644-4922-48D4-8826-13BFF6C7D4AA.jpeg
    81.2 KB · Views: 9
Back